Maura's Place was Re: [S-R] SSDI SURNAME TIP

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 1:00 PM
      At 03:20 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
      >At 02:13 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
      >
      > >I just wanted to point out to the group-I have encountered 4 relatives for
      > >whom I found NO SS# on the SSDI database. Neither did their names register.
      > >However, when I received their death certificates, there was a social
      > >security number listed in the death certificate.

      The following is an excerpt from Maura's "Helpful Hints for Successful
      Searching" regarding Social Security records:

      http://community-2.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/ssrecords/

      The SSDI is *not* a product of the Social Security Administration, it is a
      product of a private company who take the information reported to the SSA
      and reformat it. Originally, people were listed on the SSDI only if they
      had benefits paid to a person after their death. Since this database has
      grown to be such a valuable genealogical database, the company has now
      attempted to include all deaths reported to the SSA in the database, going
      back and including those previously not included (those who did not leave
      benefits to others and deaths of minors) as well as to keep it updated with
      newly reported deaths each month. Still, there are reasons you may not find
      your ancestor listed on the database. ................
      ***
      There is a lot more information at the site.

      John