Intro and Q. re: GARANY, Hungary

  • Amfield@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 13, 1999
      Hello everyone,

      I am brand new to this list, and almost as brand new to searching for my
      Slovakian roots. That's because I was adopted and just last December found my
      birth family. My birthmother and all of her family (on both sides) are
      Slovaks.

      I began my research by trying to find out where my grandfather came from. As
      an adoptee, I have been used to searching "forwards," but now I'm looking
      "backwards," and it's so much fun.

      My family name is REHTORIK. It was also spelled Rechtorik, and originally
      Rektorik. My grandfather's name was Andras Rektorik. His brother, Mike
      Rektorik, lived and died in PA, while my grandfather, Andy, came to Gary, IN,
      where he settled. He had two children, my birthmother, Margaret Mary, and a
      son, Andrew.

      My grandfather married Anna MAYERSKY in Gary. Her parents originally came
      from McKeesport, PA, but were born in Austria/Hungary. Their names were
      Martin (Michael) MAYERSKY and Mary Slivka MAYERSKY. (It's also been spelled
      Majersky and Majerski)

      I am thrilled to say I found my grandfather, ANDRAS REKTORIK, on the
      passenger ship list of the SS Prinz Fredr. Wilhelm, arriving in NY on Feb.
      20, 1912. I have two questions:

      1)On the manifest, my grandfather's place of birth is listed as Hungary,
      GARGANY.
      Other possible spellings were Garany, Garauy, Girany. Can't find this name
      anywhere! Does anyone have any ideas or know about it?

      2) Also on the manifest is my great grandmother's name, ERRSEBET RECKTORIK.
      Would I be correct in assuming that the English equivalent to this name is
      Elizabeth?

      Thanks!
      Sincerely, Anita
    • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 1999
        In a message dated 09/13/1999 10:08:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        Amfield@... writes:

        > )On the manifest, my grandfather's place of birth is listed as Hungary,
        > GARGANY.
        > Other possible spellings were Garany, Garauy, Girany. Can't find this
        name

        > anywhere! Does anyone have any ideas or know about it?

        Try putting that village in to this and see what comes up then SAVE this site
        I use it often <A
        HREF="http://www.jewishgen.org/shtetlseeker/loctown.htm">JewishGen
        ShtetlSeeker - Town Search</A>
        Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix
      • Steve Botnovcan
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 13, 1999
          Try:

          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/

          Steve

        • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 13, 1999
              I can't help with your surname, but if you want to know about Gary, IN I
              can help there. e-mail me off-list and I can give you info about the
              city.

              Steve

            • Amfield@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 13, 1999
                Thanks, Cathy and Mark!!!

                In a message dated 9/13/99 11:37:39 AM, Ylbrd@... writes:

                >Try putting that village in to this and see what comes up then SAVE this
                >site
                >I use it often JewishGen
                >ShtetlSeeker - Town Search
                >Cathy Ambrisko Mullenix

                Thanks so much, Cathy. What a wonderful site - for sure a saver! I first
                entered Gargany, but got no matches. Then I entered Garany and found a town
                in the Ukraine, not too far from Slovakia.

                Thought I had it down pat, until I went back to my email and received Mark's
                post.

                Mark Jesko found me a town called GAJANY near Bratislava. Thanks a million,
                Mark.

                Now I have to decide which one is which. My instinct tells me it would be
                Gajany.

                I'm off to scrutinize the passenger list once again.

                Thanks to all on this wonderful list.
                Anita
              • Amfield@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 13, 1999
                  In a message dated 9/13/99 6:17:53 PM, averostko@... writes:

                  >From: Andy Verostko <averostko@...>

                  Hi Andy,

                  (gently snipped)

                  Thanks for all the good info, Andy. I have been to the Family History Center,
                  which is where I ordered the microfilm with the passenger lists. I'm very
                  fortunate to live in the Chicago area because I can get to the Newberry
                  Library - which is a gold mine!

                  Newberry has lots and lots of info on Lake County, IN.

                  I did receive the marriage applications (1918) and certificate for my
                  grandparents - from Lake County, IN. But when I showed it to my half-sisters,
                  they immediately exclaimed that the handwriting was NOT their grandparents.
                  And they also pointed out a glaring error in my grandmother's birthdate. It
                  looks as if some clerk probably took the information orally, and recorded it
                  haphazardly. I'm not sure just how much English either of my grandparents
                  spoke at that time, but again, according to my half-sisters - not too much.

                  >Evsebet, (Hungarian)� Alzbeta, (Slovak) = Elizabeth.Please remember that
                  >Hungarian was the Language and name forms

                  Upon a second look, my great grandmother's name was definitely Evsebet.
                  Thanks so much, because this confirms another family member for me. My
                  grandfather's brother, Mike Rehtorik, died in PA - however there were two
                  around the same time period. But I have the death certificate for the Mike I
                  thought was the right one, and BINGO. His mother's name was Elizabeth Tomko.

                  Anita
                • Andy Verostko
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 13, 1999

                    Amfield@... wrote:

                    > From: Amfield@...
                    >
                    > Hello everyone,
                    >
                    > I am brand new to this list, and almost as brand new to searching for my
                    > Slovakian roots. That's because I was adopted and just last December found my
                    > birth family. My birthmother and all of her family (on both sides) are
                    > Slovaks.
                    >
                    > I began my� research by trying to find out where my grandfather came from. As
                    > an adoptee, I have been used to searching "forwards," but now I'm looking
                    > "backwards," and it's so much fun.
                    >
                    > My family name is REHTORIK. It was also spelled Rechtorik, and originally
                    > Rektorik. My grandfather's name was Andras Rektorik. His brother, Mike
                    > Rektorik, lived and died in PA, while my grandfather, Andy, came to Gary, IN,
                    > where he settled. He had two children, my birthmother, Margaret Mary, and a
                    > son, Andrew.
                    >
                    > My grandfather married Anna MAYERSKY in Gary. Her parents originally came
                    > from McKeesport, PA, but were born in Austria/Hungary.� Their names were
                    > Martin (Michael) MAYERSKY and Mary Slivka MAYERSKY. (It's also been spelled
                    > Majersky and Majerski)

                    Gary Indiana is a town of many ethnic churches and they often kept records
                    ofwhere people were born in their marriage and birth entries.� Marriage and
                    birth certificates rarely contain all the info available in the books.�� Anyway
                    some detective work could uncover marriage and birth records� and death records
                    with much info and specifically towns in which these people were born.� Your job
                    is
                    to find out where these records are and then get transcripts of the records.

                    I would suggest you find your local Family History Center and familiarize
                    yourself
                    with their capabilities.

                    Good luck and enjoy the challenge of the search

                    > I am thrilled to say I found my grandfather, ANDRAS REKTORIK, on the
                    > passenger ship list of the SS Prinz Fredr. Wilhelm, arriving in NY on Feb.
                    > 20, 1912. I have two questions:
                    >
                    > 1)On the manifest, my grandfather's place of birth is listed as Hungary,
                    > GARGANY.
                    > Other possible spellings were Garany, Garauy, Girany.�� Can't find this name
                    > anywhere! Does anyone have any ideas or know about it?
                    >
                    > 2) Also on the manifest is my great grandmother's name, ERRSEBET RECKTORIK.
                    > Would I be correct in assuming that the English equivalent to this name is
                    > Elizabeth?
                    > �

                    Evsebet, (Hungarian)� Alzbeta, (Slovak) = Elizabeth.Please remember that
                    Hungarian was the Language and name forms
                    often were spelled officially in the language of the Ruler (Hungary) or
                    the Church (Latin) rather than in the language of the person involved..

                    > Thanks!
                    > Sincerely, Anita

                    > ONElist:� your connection to online communities.

                    Regards

                    Andy Verostko

                    averostko@...

                    http://www.bealenet.com/~averostko/

                    Researching Slovakia for:
                    ����������� "Vyrostko" from Baska and Polov, Abov province
                    ����������� "Kolesar" from Nizny and Vysny Klatov, Abov Province
                    ����������� "Balcik & Urban" from Kavecany, Saris Province
                    ����������� "Lesko & Rybar" from Smilno, Saris Province
                    ����������� "Rusnak" from Dvorce & Levoca, Spis Province
                    ����������� "Pscelar" from Hincovce & Levoca, Spis Province.
                  • Alan ANTOSKA
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
                      --- Amfield@... wrote:
                      > (gently snipped)
                      My grandfather's brother, Mike Rehtorik, died in PA -
                      however there were two
                      > around the same time period. But I have the death
                      > certificate for the Mike I
                      > thought was the right one, and BINGO. His mother's
                      > name was Elizabeth Tomko.
                      >
                      > Anita

                      Ahoj Anita,
                      You just turned on a light bulb.
                      The name "Tomko" is widespread in Slovakia (& the USA)
                      and also appears in my family, which comes from the
                      two adjoining villages of Ziar & Smrecany in
                      Lipto/Liptov/Liptovsky Mikulas county in Northern
                      Slovakia.
                      Would you know where/what village your Elizabeth Tomko
                      is from? Thanks.
                      ===
                      May a kind Providence prosper your efforts.
                      Regards / ciao / S pozdravom,

                      Alan

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 14, 1999
                        Hi Alan,

                        All I know so far is that Elizabeth (Errsebet?) TOMKO REKTORIK lived in
                        Garany, Hungary, in 1912. I don't know where her family, TOMKO, came from yet.

                        This is exciting!
                        Anita

                      • daveydad@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 22 11:27 PM
                          There was a town named GARAN (today called HRAN) in the SE Corner of
                          Slovakia 7 miles SSE of Trebisov.
                          People from GARAN could have been recorded at Ellis Island as being
                          from GARANY.
                          Good Luck+
                          Dave