Re: [S-R] SSDI SURNAME TIP

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2001
      At 02:13 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:

      >I just wanted to point out to the group-I have encountered 4 relatives for
      >whom I found NO SS# on the SSDI database. Neither did their names register.
      >However, when I received their death certificates, there was a social
      >security number listed in the death certificate.

      The on-line SSDI is a great tool, but it is NOT complete, and the last I
      knew they weren't trying to claim that it is complete. Don't give up on a
      source just because you don't get a "hit" via the on-line version of that
      source.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2001
        At 03:20 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >At 02:13 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >
        > >I just wanted to point out to the group-I have encountered 4 relatives for
        > >whom I found NO SS# on the SSDI database. Neither did their names register.
        > >However, when I received their death certificates, there was a social
        > >security number listed in the death certificate.

        The following is an excerpt from Maura's "Helpful Hints for Successful
        Searching" regarding Social Security records:

        http://community-2.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/ssrecords/

        The SSDI is *not* a product of the Social Security Administration, it is a
        product of a private company who take the information reported to the SSA
        and reformat it. Originally, people were listed on the SSDI only if they
        had benefits paid to a person after their death. Since this database has
        grown to be such a valuable genealogical database, the company has now
        attempted to include all deaths reported to the SSA in the database, going
        back and including those previously not included (those who did not leave
        benefits to others and deaths of minors) as well as to keep it updated with
        newly reported deaths each month. Still, there are reasons you may not find
        your ancestor listed on the database. ................
        ***
        There is a lot more information at the site.

        John