Banat

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2001
      Sorry, this was mis-posted as a reply on another subject.

      On the other hand, it may be relevant. Some Slovaks came from the Banat
      region, too. I found a Vangor family from a town down there on the Ellis
      Island database. It is helpful for us to realize that a great deal of
      immigration southwards went on, too, even beginning in the 18th century when
      the Turks were expelled. Slovaks ended up down in Vojvodinia in Serbia, if
      I am spelling it correctly, where there is a large Slovak ethnic minority to
      this day.

      I am intrigued in the possibility of "secondary migration" after the Slovaks
      had settled in these southern regions. The Vangor family from the Banat
      were identified as Magyars, but I do not know if these were actually
      magyarized Slovaks. Magyarization pressures were more intense in that
      region because the Hungarian government was trying to assimilate the German
      colonists.

      Some of us may find Slovak family members who immigrate to America from
      places far from Slovakia.