Re: [S-R] SSDI SURNAME TIP

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 11:47 AM
      To answer your question, yes, a big chunk of Greater Hungary was carved off
      the rump and became either Romania or part of what was temporarily
      Yugoslavia.

      A most interesting region was called the Banat. When the Turks were
      expelled a lot of Germans colonized little towns in what was a wild frontier
      region along the Danube. The Germans were imported by the Austrian Emperors
      in the 18th century including Maria Theresia.

      I will find you some web sites on this topic.

      Congratulations on your success -- how delightful when we catch the slippery
      little rascals.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3 12:20 PM
        At 02:13 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:

        >I just wanted to point out to the group-I have encountered 4 relatives for
        >whom I found NO SS# on the SSDI database. Neither did their names register.
        >However, when I received their death certificates, there was a social
        >security number listed in the death certificate.

        The on-line SSDI is a great tool, but it is NOT complete, and the last I
        knew they weren't trying to claim that it is complete. Don't give up on a
        source just because you don't get a "hit" via the on-line version of that
        source.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3 1:00 PM
          At 03:20 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
          >At 02:13 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
          >
          > >I just wanted to point out to the group-I have encountered 4 relatives for
          > >whom I found NO SS# on the SSDI database. Neither did their names register.
          > >However, when I received their death certificates, there was a social
          > >security number listed in the death certificate.

          The following is an excerpt from Maura's "Helpful Hints for Successful
          Searching" regarding Social Security records:

          http://community-2.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/ssrecords/

          The SSDI is *not* a product of the Social Security Administration, it is a
          product of a private company who take the information reported to the SSA
          and reformat it. Originally, people were listed on the SSDI only if they
          had benefits paid to a person after their death. Since this database has
          grown to be such a valuable genealogical database, the company has now
          attempted to include all deaths reported to the SSA in the database, going
          back and including those previously not included (those who did not leave
          benefits to others and deaths of minors) as well as to keep it updated with
          newly reported deaths each month. Still, there are reasons you may not find
          your ancestor listed on the database. ................
          ***
          There is a lot more information at the site.

          John