RE: [S-R] Re : Austria-Hungary or Slovakia /Language

  • Monyak, Stephanie
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
      :(:(:( I don't have a scanner...that's why I am so bummed out-I have a
      computer only at work and we don't have scanners.

      I will e-mail the relative who sent me the copy-perhaps he can scan it and
      send it to me and then I will forward it to the group.

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 4, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Monyak, Stephanie" <monyaksl@m...> wrote:
        > :(:(:( I don't have a scanner...that's why I am so bummed out-I have
        > computer only at work and we don't have scanners.
        >
        > I will e-mail the relative who sent me the copy-perhaps he can scan
        it and
        > send it to me and then I will forward it to the group.

        Naturalization papers often contain the same type of spelling errors
        as do the Ellis Island Records.
        Or they revert to 'sounds-like' spellings.

        In Hungarian születési anyakönyvi kivonat = birth certificate

        In Slovak rodny' list = birth certificate

        vytah z matriky narozeni

        Slovak

        vy't'ah = to extract
        z = from

        matriky = parish church records
        Krstení = baptisms (Christenings)
        Sobás^ení = marriages
        Zomrelí = deaths

        narodenie = birth

        As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská, or -ová.
        The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
        of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
        If family surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added
        to it, i.e., Popelic + ová.

        Hungarian letter cs = Slovak diacritic letter c ^ = ch.
        Expect that Csumalyava actually was Carpatho-Rusyn village C^umal'ovo
        now located in the Ukraine.
        It was formerly located in Subcarpathian Rus' which was part of
        Czechoslovakia only 1920-1938 but part of Hungary from 10th c to 1918.
        Csomanfalva (H) Cumaleve (Ukr) Comal'ovo (Rusyn)
        -falva means village in Hungarian and was often misspelled or
        misread in records.
      • Theresa Lindamood
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 5, 2001
          Thanks everyone for their help. I have some more stuff to look up now and
          will probably come back with more questions! Theresa

          ---
        • Monyak, Stephanie
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2001
            Theresa,
            I just noticed your last name-my friend works at lindamood in California-you
            aren't related to them are you?

            Thanks everyone for their help. I have some more stuff to look up now and
            will probably come back with more questions! Theresa

            ---

          • Richard D. Custer
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 6, 2001
              >Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were from
              >Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov. Also on the ship manifest it
              said
              >the language for Risko was Ruthenian
              >
              >the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were called
              >'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

              Oy vey! Ruthenian, Slovaks, Bukovina, Czechoslovakia, White Russians,
              Ukrainian Orthodox...

              So much (mis)information, but nobody got it right... but like Mighty Mouse,
              "here I come to save the day":

              These places are not in any gazetteers of Slovakia 'cuz they ain't in
              Slovakia. They're in Ukraine. However, they are in that part of Ukraine
              which *used to be* in Czechoslovakia, namely Zakarpattia / Subcarpathian
              Rus'.

              First village mentioned, "Drahova" is Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary,
              now Khustskyj Rajon [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian
              Region], Ukraine.

              Kevesliget should be Kovesliget, which is now Drahovo as above.

              Chumalov was Csomanfalva, Chumaleve or Chumal'ovo, Maramaros County,
              Hungary, now Khustskyj Rajon [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast
              [Transcarpathian Region], Ukraine.

              >OH ON RISKO"S SISTER"S NATURALIZATION PAPERS SHE WAS BORN IN Chumalov' and
              >husband was born in Nizny Seliste'Czechoslovakia.
              >Bodzer's form says Csumalyava, Austria Hungary

              Nizny Seliste should be Nyzhnje Selyshche, Maramaros County, Hungary, now
              Khustskyj Rajon [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian
              Region], Ukraine.

              Csumalyava as above is Chumal'ovo / Chumaleve.

              All these villages are adjacent, within a few miles of each other. They
              appear on this map segment:
              http://www.lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg59.html
              In the lower third of the map, look just east of the red blotch, the city of
              Khust (XYCT). They're all along the same road: Nyzhnje Selyshche, then the
              road goes east & north to Drahovo, or east and south to Chumal'ovo and
              Krychovo.

              Zakarpatska Oblast was part of Czechoslovakia (the eastern province, known
              as Podkarpatska Rus' or Subcarpathian Rus'/Ruthenia) from ~1920 until 1945
              when it was given to the Soviet Union.

              There were dozens of families who settled in the Brownsville, PA area from
              these villages. Also in Vintondale, PA (Indiana County). They were
              Byzantine/Greek Catholics when they came to the USA but most became
              [Russian] Orthodox here.

              I have data on all marriages of Rusyns who lived in Brownsville, PA vicinity
              through ~1915 whether Greek Catholic or Orthodox. First Rusyn church in
              Brownsville was St. Nicholas Greek Catholic (1911). Before that they
              attended Holy Ghost Greek Catholic in Charleroi (1899). Some who converted
              to Orthodoxy attended Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox in Charleroi (1901) and
              later Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox in West Brownsville (1915). There
              were no Ukrainian Catholic or Ukrainian Orthodox churches in this part of
              the Monongahela River valley -- but these people were not Ukrainians in the
              first place, so you need not be concerned with finding a Ukrainian Orthodox
              church for your research.

              I have the same info for Vintondale.

              Nothing of all this has anything to do with Slovaks, Slovakia, etc. Try
              these sites:
              www.carpatho-rusyn.org
              www.carpathorusynsociety.org
              or the "Rusyns" list at topica.com .

              If you have questions about the data I have, please email me privately, as
              this is a Slovak list.

              RDC