RE: [S-R] Re : Austria-Hungary or Slovakia /Language

  • Monyak, Stephanie
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
      they were Ukrainain orthodox-I have tried contacting the us diocese-but they
      are not as good with their church records as roman Catholics are.
      Risko and Bodzer were married in 1909 in Brownseville,Pa-but there is no
      church that I can find that existed then-and I called the diocese out of new
      York and they refer me back to the local church-which I can't find. They
      also had to apply to be married-but in about 10 of the surrounding counties
      I can find no marriage applications from them.

      You are being so extremely helpful-thank you!

      Oh I do have a copy of a birth record from 1905 of a great aunt-would there
      be anyplace I could send it to see if someone might recognize the city or
      local? I do think it was also Bukovena-and there may be more birth records
      of other siblings there.

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
        At 08:14 AM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were from
        >Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov. Also on the ship manifest it said
        >the language for Risko was Ruthenian

        Dargov, which was known as Drahov for the years 1948-1964 is about 12 miles
        east of Kos^ice and in an area that I believe would fall into the Ruthenian
        category. There are a few Ris^ko (Rishko) in the Kos^ice phone directory.

        >the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were called
        >'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

        Bukavena - There are 3 Bukovina in Slovakia, several in the Czech
        Republic, Poland, etc.. I've heard the term "White Russians" (Bela Rus a
        country west of Russia and north of Ukraine) used by some families to
        distinguish themselves from "Red Russians" (the bad guys) when they were
        actually Rusyns, Ruthenians, Pod Karpatski Rus, etc.. Normally first
        generation immigrants married in Europe and if not, they emigrated to areas
        where their families, neighbors and neighboring villagers emigrated
        to. They would then most likely marry into the same culture (religion,
        language, etc.). What I'm saying is there is a good likelihood that all
        were from the area now located in NE Slovakia, SE Poland, W Ukraine. If
        they were from SE Poland it probably would have been written as
        Bukowina. There is a Bukowina located just north of the Slovak border
        about 20 miles east of Stara Lubovna in an area that would have been
        considered to be Rusyn.

        Do you know what religion they were. That would be helpful. My s-i-l's
        family believed their grandfather was Bohemian but as I found out, he was
        Greek Catholic, Rusyn, and from NE Slovakia. Frank K may have a better
        handle on this. I couldn't locate some of the towns you mentioned.
        *****
        Just read your post about their religion. Ukrainian Orthodox is
        essentially the same as Greek Catholic but they were not reunited with the
        Roman Catholic church. This would indicate they were Ruthenian. Were the
        Monyak, Manyak also U.O.? Did you ever see their name spelled Monjak or
        Manjak?

        John
      • Monyak, Stephanie
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
          I have seen the monyak spelled MAnyak and on my great grandfather's
          petition for naturalization as well as his brothers' it was misspelled as
          monyah and monjak-but that was in this country-that birth certificate REALLY
          looks as if the name were Manyak and the maiden name of the mother was
          Popelicova.
          They came thru Baltimore so I can't even check ellisisland.org.
          I think they were Greek Orthodox.
          OH ON RISKO"S SISTER"S NATURALIZATION PAPERS SHE WAS BORN IN Chumalov' and
          husband was born in Nizny Seliste'Czechoslovakia.
          Bodzer's form says Csumalyava, Austria Hungary

          On the Monyak birth record:
          Bukovina is spelled Bukovinka

          The form says this:

          Vytah z matriky narozeni
          Szuletesi anyakonyvi kivonat

          There are other words too but they use non english-type letters so I can't
          even write it for you.

          There is a seal at the bottom but it is a bad copy and I can't make out what
          it says-that's why I was hoping to fax a copy or mail acopy to someone who
          might recognize the city it was from.
          Another draw back is that may family has been divorced so i never knew any
          of my monyak side except for my dad-and a few internet cousins who sent me
          the birth record.

          >Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were from
          >Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov. Also on the ship manifest it
          said
          >the language for Risko was Ruthenian

          Dargov, which was known as Drahov for the years 1948-1964 is about 12 miles
          east of Kos^ice and in an area that I believe would fall into the Ruthenian
          category. There are a few Ris^ko (Rishko) in the Kos^ice phone directory.

          >the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were called
          >'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

          Bukavena - There are 3 Bukovina in Slovakia, several in the Czech
          Republic, Poland, etc.. I've heard the term "White Russians" (Bela Rus a
          country west of Russia and north of Ukraine) used by some families to
          distinguish themselves from "Red Russians" (the bad guys) when they were
          actually Rusyns, Ruthenians, Pod Karpatski Rus, etc.. Normally first
          generation immigrants married in Europe and if not, they emigrated to areas
          where their families, neighbors and neighboring villagers emigrated
          to. They would then most likely marry into the same culture (religion,
          language, etc.). What I'm saying is there is a good likelihood that all
          were from the area now located in NE Slovakia, SE Poland, W Ukraine. If
          they were from SE Poland it probably would have been written as
          Bukowina. There is a Bukowina located just north of the Slovak border
          about 20 miles east of Stara Lubovna in an area that would have been
          considered to be Rusyn.

          Do you know what religion they were. That would be helpful. My s-i-l's
          family believed their grandfather was Bohemian but as I found out, he was
          Greek Catholic, Rusyn, and from NE Slovakia. Frank K may have a better
          handle on this. I couldn't locate some of the towns you mentioned.
          *****
          Just read your post about their religion. Ukrainian Orthodox is
          essentially the same as Greek Catholic but they were not reunited with the
          Roman Catholic church. This would indicate they were Ruthenian. Were the
          Monyak, Manyak also U.O.? Did you ever see their name spelled Monjak or
          Manjak?

          John

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

        • John
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
            At 12:01 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
            >I have seen the monyak spelled MAnyak and on my great grandfather's
            >petition for naturalization as well as his brothers' it was misspelled as
            >monyah and monjak-but that was in this country-that birth certificate REALLY
            >looks as if the name were Manyak and the maiden name of the mother was
            >Popelicova.

            The letter "j" is usually used for "y" in slavic and other languages (Jan
            [Yan] = John, jak [yak] = how). That's why I asked. Also, Mon~ak is
            pronounced Monyak the "n~" being pronounced like in Spanish (la nin~a = la
            ni-nya). There are Mon~ak in Eastern Slovakia.

            >They came thru Baltimore so I can't even check ellisisland.org.

            You can check the Baltimore arrivals through NARA and the LDS FHC but it is
            not as convenient. This site provides some good information on how to:

            http://home.att.net/~arnielang/shipgide.html

            >I think they were Greek Orthodox.

            It was probably Greek Catholic or Ukrainian Orthodox. Greek Orthodox is
            actually the Greek church and I think they use Greek in their liturgy. The
            reason for the Greek in Greek Catholic (use(d) old Slavonic language in
            Divine Liturgy) is to distinguish it (Eastern) from the Roman (Western)
            church (use(d) Latin in their Mass). The Ukrainian Orthodox also uses(sd)
            old Slavonic in their liturgy.The Greek Catholic church is now called
            Byzantine (Eastern) Rite Catholic to decrease the confusion.

            http://www.byzcath.org/

            >OH ON RISKO"S SISTER"S NATURALIZATION PAPERS SHE WAS BORN IN Chumalov' and
            >husband was born in Nizny Seliste'Czechoslovakia.

            Nizny Selice was probably spelled phonetically. Nearest I could come to
            that was a a Niz^ny S^ebes^ or Niz^ny Silac^. You might use Mapquest to
            check them out.

            >Bodzer's form says Csumalyava, Austria Hungary

            That's still a mystery to
            me. Try http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm to locate.

            >On the Monyak birth record:
            >Bukovina is spelled Bukovinka

            There is a reference that a town called Bukovinka is S^iatorska' Bukovinka
            but it is located just north of the Hungarian border in Central Slovakia
            south of Radzovce and not in Eastern SK.

            >The form says this:
            >
            >Vytah z matriky narozeni

            Extracted from the birth register (Slovak)

            >Szuletesi anyakonyvi kivonat

            Hungarian I believe. Probably the same as the Slovak translation.

            >There are other words too but they use non english-type letters so I can't
            >even write it for you.

            Might say the same as above. Do you mean the alphabet is different? The
            Rusyns, Ruthenians, Ukrianians used the Cyrillic alphabet which is also
            used by the Russians. If you could scan the document or part of it and
            upload to the file section of S-R, it would allow us to look at it.

            >There is a seal at the bottom but it is a bad copy and I can't make out
            >what it says-that's why I was hoping to fax a copy or mail acopy to
            >someone who might recognize the city it was from.

            Scanning and uploading would be the easiest and allow everyone to take a
            crack at it.

            John
          • Monyak, Stephanie
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
              :(:(:( I don't have a scanner...that's why I am so bummed out-I have a
              computer only at work and we don't have scanners.

              I will e-mail the relative who sent me the copy-perhaps he can scan it and
              send it to me and then I will forward it to the group.

            • frankur@att.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2001
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Monyak, Stephanie" <monyaksl@m...> wrote:
                > :(:(:( I don't have a scanner...that's why I am so bummed out-I have
                > computer only at work and we don't have scanners.
                >
                > I will e-mail the relative who sent me the copy-perhaps he can scan
                it and
                > send it to me and then I will forward it to the group.

                Naturalization papers often contain the same type of spelling errors
                as do the Ellis Island Records.
                Or they revert to 'sounds-like' spellings.

                In Hungarian születési anyakönyvi kivonat = birth certificate

                In Slovak rodny' list = birth certificate

                vytah z matriky narozeni

                Slovak

                vy't'ah = to extract
                z = from

                matriky = parish church records
                Krstení = baptisms (Christenings)
                Sobás^ení = marriages
                Zomrelí = deaths

                narodenie = birth

                As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská, or -ová.
                The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
                of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
                If family surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added
                to it, i.e., Popelic + ová.

                Hungarian letter cs = Slovak diacritic letter c ^ = ch.
                Expect that Csumalyava actually was Carpatho-Rusyn village C^umal'ovo
                now located in the Ukraine.
                It was formerly located in Subcarpathian Rus' which was part of
                Czechoslovakia only 1920-1938 but part of Hungary from 10th c to 1918.
                Csomanfalva (H) Cumaleve (Ukr) Comal'ovo (Rusyn)
                -falva means village in Hungarian and was often misspelled or
                misread in records.
              • Theresa Lindamood
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2001
                  Thanks everyone for their help. I have some more stuff to look up now and
                  will probably come back with more questions! Theresa

                  ---
                • Monyak, Stephanie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 6, 2001
                    Theresa,
                    I just noticed your last name-my friend works at lindamood in California-you
                    aren't related to them are you?

                    Thanks everyone for their help. I have some more stuff to look up now and
                    will probably come back with more questions! Theresa

                    ---

                  • Richard D. Custer
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 6, 2001
                      >Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were from
                      >Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov. Also on the ship manifest it
                      said
                      >the language for Risko was Ruthenian
                      >
                      >the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were called
                      >'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

                      Oy vey! Ruthenian, Slovaks, Bukovina, Czechoslovakia, White Russians,
                      Ukrainian Orthodox...

                      So much (mis)information, but nobody got it right... but like Mighty Mouse,
                      "here I come to save the day":

                      These places are not in any gazetteers of Slovakia 'cuz they ain't in
                      Slovakia. They're in Ukraine. However, they are in that part of Ukraine
                      which *used to be* in Czechoslovakia, namely Zakarpattia / Subcarpathian
                      Rus'.

                      First village mentioned, "Drahova" is Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary,
                      now Khustskyj Rajon [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian
                      Region], Ukraine.

                      Kevesliget should be Kovesliget, which is now Drahovo as above.

                      Chumalov was Csomanfalva, Chumaleve or Chumal'ovo, Maramaros County,
                      Hungary, now Khustskyj Rajon [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast
                      [Transcarpathian Region], Ukraine.

                      >OH ON RISKO"S SISTER"S NATURALIZATION PAPERS SHE WAS BORN IN Chumalov' and
                      >husband was born in Nizny Seliste'Czechoslovakia.
                      >Bodzer's form says Csumalyava, Austria Hungary

                      Nizny Seliste should be Nyzhnje Selyshche, Maramaros County, Hungary, now
                      Khustskyj Rajon [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian
                      Region], Ukraine.

                      Csumalyava as above is Chumal'ovo / Chumaleve.

                      All these villages are adjacent, within a few miles of each other. They
                      appear on this map segment:
                      http://www.lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg59.html
                      In the lower third of the map, look just east of the red blotch, the city of
                      Khust (XYCT). They're all along the same road: Nyzhnje Selyshche, then the
                      road goes east & north to Drahovo, or east and south to Chumal'ovo and
                      Krychovo.

                      Zakarpatska Oblast was part of Czechoslovakia (the eastern province, known
                      as Podkarpatska Rus' or Subcarpathian Rus'/Ruthenia) from ~1920 until 1945
                      when it was given to the Soviet Union.

                      There were dozens of families who settled in the Brownsville, PA area from
                      these villages. Also in Vintondale, PA (Indiana County). They were
                      Byzantine/Greek Catholics when they came to the USA but most became
                      [Russian] Orthodox here.

                      I have data on all marriages of Rusyns who lived in Brownsville, PA vicinity
                      through ~1915 whether Greek Catholic or Orthodox. First Rusyn church in
                      Brownsville was St. Nicholas Greek Catholic (1911). Before that they
                      attended Holy Ghost Greek Catholic in Charleroi (1899). Some who converted
                      to Orthodoxy attended Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox in Charleroi (1901) and
                      later Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox in West Brownsville (1915). There
                      were no Ukrainian Catholic or Ukrainian Orthodox churches in this part of
                      the Monongahela River valley -- but these people were not Ukrainians in the
                      first place, so you need not be concerned with finding a Ukrainian Orthodox
                      church for your research.

                      I have the same info for Vintondale.

                      Nothing of all this has anything to do with Slovaks, Slovakia, etc. Try
                      these sites:
                      www.carpatho-rusyn.org
                      www.carpathorusynsociety.org
                      or the "Rusyns" list at topica.com .

                      If you have questions about the data I have, please email me privately, as
                      this is a Slovak list.

                      RDC