RE: [S-R] Re : Austria-Hungary or Slovakia /Language

  • Monyak, Stephanie
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
      Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were from
      Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov. Also on the ship manifest it said
      the language for Risko was Ruthenian

      the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were called
      'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Theresa Lindamood" <Kinseeker@w...> wrote:
        > Frankfur...your information was helpful for me as I am still in the
        stages
        > of trying to decide whether my Dipko family is from Slovakia or
        another
        > Eastern European country.

        > My immigrant ancestors who listed Austria-Hungary as their birth
        place (and
        > came to America before Ellis Island) listed "Slovak" as their
        language.

        That is what the U.S. Census enumerations would list under your Slovak
        surnames.
        What did the surname naturalization papers list ?

        Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
        part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.

        Of course, the inhabitants of Slovakia spoke Slovak going back to
        whenever
        the language was first established.

        http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14042a.htm

        > If read your posting correctly, are you saying that Slovak is not
        the
        > language of Slovakia? If it is not the language of Slovakia, whose
        language
        > is it?

        That is not what I wrote.
        The Magyars ruled Slovakia from 906 A.D. to 1918 A.D.

        The language of records was Latin and Hungarian and of administration
        it
        was Hungarian.

        In Upper-Hungary (Slovakia) the parish church registers were in Latin.
        Registers were written in Hungarian 1836-1849.
        After the failed Hungarian revolt (1848-1849) the Austrians banned the
        use of
        Hungarian in registers, and introduced Latin again.
        With establishment of dual Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918)
        registers were
        written in Hungarian again.

        > A second question which was left unanswered is, what ports in Europe
        would
        > someone from Austria-Hungary immigrate from? I am not sure where to
        > continue my search. I did look at the Hamburg Passenger lists
        because my
        > Polish ancestors went through Hamburg.

        Probable port of exit in Europe (1871-1913) would depend upon the year
        of
        surname emigration from Hungary to the USA.

        Major European ports used :

        Fiume, Italy
        Trieste, Italy
        Hamburg, Germany
        Bremen, Germany
        Antwerp, Belgium
        Amsterdam, Holland
        Rotterdam, Holland
        Liverpool, England
        Southampton, England
        Le Havre, France
        Cherbourg, France
        Genova, Italy
        Napoli, Italy

        Hamburg and Bremen, Germany were the major ports used based on the
        number of
        emigrants who passed through them enroute to USA.

        Port city of Rijeka (C) Fiume (I) was part of Hungarian Modrus-Fiume
        Megye (county) under the dual Austro-Hungarian Monarchy and is located
        in
        Croatia.

        In 1903, Hungary established the most restrictive Emigration Law in
        the world and tried to funnel all emigrants leaving Hungary via
        Rijeka/Fiume.
        The law also enabled the Hungarian government to make a contract with
        the Cunard Steamship Company for a direct Fiume to New York route.

        Pre-WW I

        Migration from Hungary
        via Rijeka/Fiume

        1903 0 emigrants
        1904 22016
        1905 35961
        1906 49332
        1907 47620
        1908 15411
        1909 36824
        1910 36834
        1911 18532
        1912 21922
        1913 20847

        Migration from Hungary
        via Trieste

        1904 0 emigrants
        1905 867
        1906 3621
        1907 6028
        1908 1805
        1909 4729
        1910 4299
        1911 2379
        1912 3959
        1913 4345

        The Ellis Island Records (1892-1924) list only 2 surname Dipko.

        1 from Bialostock, Russia which I expect is Bialystok, Poland
        located 108 miles NE of Warszawa.
        This would have been located in Russian-Poland (1790s-1918)

        The other was from Guila, Russia which looks like one of several
        place names also located in Poland.

        So I read a Polish connection.
        What was the surname village/town of origin in Slovakia ?
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Monyak, Stephanie" <monyaksl@m...> wrote:
          > Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were
          from
          > Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov.

          Tiny Drahová (Sk) is located about 127 miles ENE of Bratislava and
          near Utekac^ .
          Now in okres (district) Luc^enec.
          Kévesliget means 'little grove' in Magyar.

          What was surname religion ?
          Doubt it was Roman Catholic ?
          Probably G.C.

          R.C. parish church records (1804-1895) for Drahová are listed under
          Kokava nad Rimavicou.
          Text in LATIN and HUNGARIAN.

          > Also on the ship manifest it said
          > the language for Risko was Ruthenian

          Carpatho-Rusyn, Rusnak, Ruthenian akin to Ukrainian.

          > the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were
          called
          > 'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

          Byelorussia (now Belarus)
        • Monyak, Stephanie
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
            they were Ukrainain orthodox-I have tried contacting the us diocese-but they
            are not as good with their church records as roman Catholics are.
            Risko and Bodzer were married in 1909 in Brownseville,Pa-but there is no
            church that I can find that existed then-and I called the diocese out of new
            York and they refer me back to the local church-which I can't find. They
            also had to apply to be married-but in about 10 of the surrounding counties
            I can find no marriage applications from them.

            You are being so extremely helpful-thank you!

            Oh I do have a copy of a birth record from 1905 of a great aunt-would there
            be anyplace I could send it to see if someone might recognize the city or
            local? I do think it was also Bukovena-and there may be more birth records
            of other siblings there.

            > Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were
            from
            > Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov.

            Tiny Drahová (Sk) is located about 127 miles ENE of Bratislava and
            near Utekac^ .
            Now in okres (district) Luc^enec.
            Kévesliget means 'little grove' in Magyar.

            What was surname religion ?
            Doubt it was Roman Catholic ?
            Probably G.C.

            R.C. parish church records (1804-1895) for Drahová are listed under
            Kokava nad Rimavicou.
            Text in LATIN and HUNGARIAN.

            > Also on the ship manifest it said
            > the language for Risko was Ruthenian

            Carpatho-Rusyn, Rusnak, Ruthenian akin to Ukrainian.

            > the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were
            called
            > 'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

            Byelorussia (now Belarus)

          • John
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
              At 08:14 AM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
              >Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were from
              >Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov. Also on the ship manifest it said
              >the language for Risko was Ruthenian

              Dargov, which was known as Drahov for the years 1948-1964 is about 12 miles
              east of Kos^ice and in an area that I believe would fall into the Ruthenian
              category. There are a few Ris^ko (Rishko) in the Kos^ice phone directory.

              >the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were called
              >'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

              Bukavena - There are 3 Bukovina in Slovakia, several in the Czech
              Republic, Poland, etc.. I've heard the term "White Russians" (Bela Rus a
              country west of Russia and north of Ukraine) used by some families to
              distinguish themselves from "Red Russians" (the bad guys) when they were
              actually Rusyns, Ruthenians, Pod Karpatski Rus, etc.. Normally first
              generation immigrants married in Europe and if not, they emigrated to areas
              where their families, neighbors and neighboring villagers emigrated
              to. They would then most likely marry into the same culture (religion,
              language, etc.). What I'm saying is there is a good likelihood that all
              were from the area now located in NE Slovakia, SE Poland, W Ukraine. If
              they were from SE Poland it probably would have been written as
              Bukowina. There is a Bukowina located just north of the Slovak border
              about 20 miles east of Stara Lubovna in an area that would have been
              considered to be Rusyn.

              Do you know what religion they were. That would be helpful. My s-i-l's
              family believed their grandfather was Bohemian but as I found out, he was
              Greek Catholic, Rusyn, and from NE Slovakia. Frank K may have a better
              handle on this. I couldn't locate some of the towns you mentioned.
              *****
              Just read your post about their religion. Ukrainian Orthodox is
              essentially the same as Greek Catholic but they were not reunited with the
              Roman Catholic church. This would indicate they were Ruthenian. Were the
              Monyak, Manyak also U.O.? Did you ever see their name spelled Monjak or
              Manjak?

              John
            • Monyak, Stephanie
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
                I have seen the monyak spelled MAnyak and on my great grandfather's
                petition for naturalization as well as his brothers' it was misspelled as
                monyah and monjak-but that was in this country-that birth certificate REALLY
                looks as if the name were Manyak and the maiden name of the mother was
                Popelicova.
                They came thru Baltimore so I can't even check ellisisland.org.
                I think they were Greek Orthodox.
                OH ON RISKO"S SISTER"S NATURALIZATION PAPERS SHE WAS BORN IN Chumalov' and
                husband was born in Nizny Seliste'Czechoslovakia.
                Bodzer's form says Csumalyava, Austria Hungary

                On the Monyak birth record:
                Bukovina is spelled Bukovinka

                The form says this:

                Vytah z matriky narozeni
                Szuletesi anyakonyvi kivonat

                There are other words too but they use non english-type letters so I can't
                even write it for you.

                There is a seal at the bottom but it is a bad copy and I can't make out what
                it says-that's why I was hoping to fax a copy or mail acopy to someone who
                might recognize the city it was from.
                Another draw back is that may family has been divorced so i never knew any
                of my monyak side except for my dad-and a few internet cousins who sent me
                the birth record.

                >Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were from
                >Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov. Also on the ship manifest it
                said
                >the language for Risko was Ruthenian

                Dargov, which was known as Drahov for the years 1948-1964 is about 12 miles
                east of Kos^ice and in an area that I believe would fall into the Ruthenian
                category. There are a few Ris^ko (Rishko) in the Kos^ice phone directory.

                >the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were called
                >'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

                Bukavena - There are 3 Bukovina in Slovakia, several in the Czech
                Republic, Poland, etc.. I've heard the term "White Russians" (Bela Rus a
                country west of Russia and north of Ukraine) used by some families to
                distinguish themselves from "Red Russians" (the bad guys) when they were
                actually Rusyns, Ruthenians, Pod Karpatski Rus, etc.. Normally first
                generation immigrants married in Europe and if not, they emigrated to areas
                where their families, neighbors and neighboring villagers emigrated
                to. They would then most likely marry into the same culture (religion,
                language, etc.). What I'm saying is there is a good likelihood that all
                were from the area now located in NE Slovakia, SE Poland, W Ukraine. If
                they were from SE Poland it probably would have been written as
                Bukowina. There is a Bukowina located just north of the Slovak border
                about 20 miles east of Stara Lubovna in an area that would have been
                considered to be Rusyn.

                Do you know what religion they were. That would be helpful. My s-i-l's
                family believed their grandfather was Bohemian but as I found out, he was
                Greek Catholic, Rusyn, and from NE Slovakia. Frank K may have a better
                handle on this. I couldn't locate some of the towns you mentioned.
                *****
                Just read your post about their religion. Ukrainian Orthodox is
                essentially the same as Greek Catholic but they were not reunited with the
                Roman Catholic church. This would indicate they were Ruthenian. Were the
                Monyak, Manyak also U.O.? Did you ever see their name spelled Monjak or
                Manjak?

                John

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

              • John
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
                  At 12:01 PM 8/3/01 -0400, you wrote:
                  >I have seen the monyak spelled MAnyak and on my great grandfather's
                  >petition for naturalization as well as his brothers' it was misspelled as
                  >monyah and monjak-but that was in this country-that birth certificate REALLY
                  >looks as if the name were Manyak and the maiden name of the mother was
                  >Popelicova.

                  The letter "j" is usually used for "y" in slavic and other languages (Jan
                  [Yan] = John, jak [yak] = how). That's why I asked. Also, Mon~ak is
                  pronounced Monyak the "n~" being pronounced like in Spanish (la nin~a = la
                  ni-nya). There are Mon~ak in Eastern Slovakia.

                  >They came thru Baltimore so I can't even check ellisisland.org.

                  You can check the Baltimore arrivals through NARA and the LDS FHC but it is
                  not as convenient. This site provides some good information on how to:

                  http://home.att.net/~arnielang/shipgide.html

                  >I think they were Greek Orthodox.

                  It was probably Greek Catholic or Ukrainian Orthodox. Greek Orthodox is
                  actually the Greek church and I think they use Greek in their liturgy. The
                  reason for the Greek in Greek Catholic (use(d) old Slavonic language in
                  Divine Liturgy) is to distinguish it (Eastern) from the Roman (Western)
                  church (use(d) Latin in their Mass). The Ukrainian Orthodox also uses(sd)
                  old Slavonic in their liturgy.The Greek Catholic church is now called
                  Byzantine (Eastern) Rite Catholic to decrease the confusion.

                  http://www.byzcath.org/

                  >OH ON RISKO"S SISTER"S NATURALIZATION PAPERS SHE WAS BORN IN Chumalov' and
                  >husband was born in Nizny Seliste'Czechoslovakia.

                  Nizny Selice was probably spelled phonetically. Nearest I could come to
                  that was a a Niz^ny S^ebes^ or Niz^ny Silac^. You might use Mapquest to
                  check them out.

                  >Bodzer's form says Csumalyava, Austria Hungary

                  That's still a mystery to
                  me. Try http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm to locate.

                  >On the Monyak birth record:
                  >Bukovina is spelled Bukovinka

                  There is a reference that a town called Bukovinka is S^iatorska' Bukovinka
                  but it is located just north of the Hungarian border in Central Slovakia
                  south of Radzovce and not in Eastern SK.

                  >The form says this:
                  >
                  >Vytah z matriky narozeni

                  Extracted from the birth register (Slovak)

                  >Szuletesi anyakonyvi kivonat

                  Hungarian I believe. Probably the same as the Slovak translation.

                  >There are other words too but they use non english-type letters so I can't
                  >even write it for you.

                  Might say the same as above. Do you mean the alphabet is different? The
                  Rusyns, Ruthenians, Ukrianians used the Cyrillic alphabet which is also
                  used by the Russians. If you could scan the document or part of it and
                  upload to the file section of S-R, it would allow us to look at it.

                  >There is a seal at the bottom but it is a bad copy and I can't make out
                  >what it says-that's why I was hoping to fax a copy or mail acopy to
                  >someone who might recognize the city it was from.

                  Scanning and uploading would be the easiest and allow everyone to take a
                  crack at it.

                  John
                • Monyak, Stephanie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 2001
                    :(:(:( I don't have a scanner...that's why I am so bummed out-I have a
                    computer only at work and we don't have scanners.

                    I will e-mail the relative who sent me the copy-perhaps he can scan it and
                    send it to me and then I will forward it to the group.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 4, 2001
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Monyak, Stephanie" <monyaksl@m...> wrote:
                      > :(:(:( I don't have a scanner...that's why I am so bummed out-I have
                      > computer only at work and we don't have scanners.
                      >
                      > I will e-mail the relative who sent me the copy-perhaps he can scan
                      it and
                      > send it to me and then I will forward it to the group.

                      Naturalization papers often contain the same type of spelling errors
                      as do the Ellis Island Records.
                      Or they revert to 'sounds-like' spellings.

                      In Hungarian születési anyakönyvi kivonat = birth certificate

                      In Slovak rodny' list = birth certificate

                      vytah z matriky narozeni

                      Slovak

                      vy't'ah = to extract
                      z = from

                      matriky = parish church records
                      Krstení = baptisms (Christenings)
                      Sobás^ení = marriages
                      Zomrelí = deaths

                      narodenie = birth

                      As a rule of Slovak grammar, female surnames end in -á, -ská, or -ová.
                      The feminine form of the surnames is considered merely a separate form
                      of same surname, not a distinct surname in itself.
                      If family surname is a noun in form or origin the suffix -ová is added
                      to it, i.e., Popelic + ová.

                      Hungarian letter cs = Slovak diacritic letter c ^ = ch.
                      Expect that Csumalyava actually was Carpatho-Rusyn village C^umal'ovo
                      now located in the Ukraine.
                      It was formerly located in Subcarpathian Rus' which was part of
                      Czechoslovakia only 1920-1938 but part of Hungary from 10th c to 1918.
                      Csomanfalva (H) Cumaleve (Ukr) Comal'ovo (Rusyn)
                      -falva means village in Hungarian and was often misspelled or
                      misread in records.
                    • Theresa Lindamood
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 5, 2001
                        Thanks everyone for their help. I have some more stuff to look up now and
                        will probably come back with more questions! Theresa

                        ---
                      • Monyak, Stephanie
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 6, 2001
                          Theresa,
                          I just noticed your last name-my friend works at lindamood in California-you
                          aren't related to them are you?

                          Thanks everyone for their help. I have some more stuff to look up now and
                          will probably come back with more questions! Theresa

                          ---

                        • Richard D. Custer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 6, 2001
                            >Risko and Bodzer were listed on their declarations of intention were from
                            >Drahova, and kevesliget and also Chumalov. Also on the ship manifest it
                            said
                            >the language for Risko was Ruthenian
                            >
                            >the Monyak or Manyak name was from 'austria-hungary'and they were called
                            >'white russians' one city was Bukavena too.

                            Oy vey! Ruthenian, Slovaks, Bukovina, Czechoslovakia, White Russians,
                            Ukrainian Orthodox...

                            So much (mis)information, but nobody got it right... but like Mighty Mouse,
                            "here I come to save the day":

                            These places are not in any gazetteers of Slovakia 'cuz they ain't in
                            Slovakia. They're in Ukraine. However, they are in that part of Ukraine
                            which *used to be* in Czechoslovakia, namely Zakarpattia / Subcarpathian
                            Rus'.

                            First village mentioned, "Drahova" is Drahovo, Maramaros County, Hungary,
                            now Khustskyj Rajon [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian
                            Region], Ukraine.

                            Kevesliget should be Kovesliget, which is now Drahovo as above.

                            Chumalov was Csomanfalva, Chumaleve or Chumal'ovo, Maramaros County,
                            Hungary, now Khustskyj Rajon [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast
                            [Transcarpathian Region], Ukraine.

                            >OH ON RISKO"S SISTER"S NATURALIZATION PAPERS SHE WAS BORN IN Chumalov' and
                            >husband was born in Nizny Seliste'Czechoslovakia.
                            >Bodzer's form says Csumalyava, Austria Hungary

                            Nizny Seliste should be Nyzhnje Selyshche, Maramaros County, Hungary, now
                            Khustskyj Rajon [Khust District], Zakarpatska Oblast [Transcarpathian
                            Region], Ukraine.

                            Csumalyava as above is Chumal'ovo / Chumaleve.

                            All these villages are adjacent, within a few miles of each other. They
                            appear on this map segment:
                            http://www.lemko.org/atlas/Pages/Pg59.html
                            In the lower third of the map, look just east of the red blotch, the city of
                            Khust (XYCT). They're all along the same road: Nyzhnje Selyshche, then the
                            road goes east & north to Drahovo, or east and south to Chumal'ovo and
                            Krychovo.

                            Zakarpatska Oblast was part of Czechoslovakia (the eastern province, known
                            as Podkarpatska Rus' or Subcarpathian Rus'/Ruthenia) from ~1920 until 1945
                            when it was given to the Soviet Union.

                            There were dozens of families who settled in the Brownsville, PA area from
                            these villages. Also in Vintondale, PA (Indiana County). They were
                            Byzantine/Greek Catholics when they came to the USA but most became
                            [Russian] Orthodox here.

                            I have data on all marriages of Rusyns who lived in Brownsville, PA vicinity
                            through ~1915 whether Greek Catholic or Orthodox. First Rusyn church in
                            Brownsville was St. Nicholas Greek Catholic (1911). Before that they
                            attended Holy Ghost Greek Catholic in Charleroi (1899). Some who converted
                            to Orthodoxy attended Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox in Charleroi (1901) and
                            later Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox in West Brownsville (1915). There
                            were no Ukrainian Catholic or Ukrainian Orthodox churches in this part of
                            the Monongahela River valley -- but these people were not Ukrainians in the
                            first place, so you need not be concerned with finding a Ukrainian Orthodox
                            church for your research.

                            I have the same info for Vintondale.

                            Nothing of all this has anything to do with Slovaks, Slovakia, etc. Try
                            these sites:
                            www.carpatho-rusyn.org
                            www.carpathorusynsociety.org
                            or the "Rusyns" list at topica.com .

                            If you have questions about the data I have, please email me privately, as
                            this is a Slovak list.

                            RDC