Re : Austria-Hungary or Slovakia Genealogy (not Slovenian language)

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
      Former Austria-Hungary Empire territory is a pretty broad mandate.

      Slovak is not a Slovenian, Slavonian, or Slovakian language.

      Slavic can be a branch of the Indo-European family of
      languages, usually divided into East Slavic, West Slavic,
      and South Slavic.

      East Slavic (Russian, Ukrainian, Byelorussian)
      West Slavic (Polish, Czech, Slovak, Sorbian)
      South Slavic (Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian, Macedonian, Bulgarian,
      Old Church Slavonic)

      Some who seek Slovenia (Slovenija) think it is the the same
      country as Slovakia (Slovensko)

      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
      After WW I Slovakia was a part of former Czechoslovakia in Central
      Europe and now Slovakia Republic.

      Slovak

      Ako sa maté ? (How are you ?)
      Rozumiem. (I understand )

      Before WW I there was no country called Slovenia and it was part of
      the Austrian Empire.
      After WW I Slovenia was a part of former Yugoslavia in the Balkans
      and now the Republic of Slovenia.

      Slovene

      Kako ste ? (How are you ?)
      Razumen. (I understand )

      Slovak-Roots is a mailing list where you subscribe to join.

      Then there are a number of Slovakia Genealogy query boards out there
      besides SLOVAKROOTS.
      I reply to Slovakia queries at SLOVAKROOTS as well as at these boards
      and also at the Hungary query board.
      In return receive dozen spam and sex-oriented messages everytime I
      access my email Inbox.

      Now there is enough diversity in Austria-Hungary related query boards
      on WWW.

      Because of some recent fundamental changes in corporate ownereship
      many of these query boards have no administrators nor oversight and
      use automated robotic email servers.
      This can mean 'flaming' other poster's messages as well as replying to
      genealogy queries.

      There has also been a fundamental change in genealogy newsgroups on
      the Internet because of other recent ownership changes.
      Newsgroup : sk.talk.slovak-world takes discussions in whatever
      direction you like.

      Another example, newsgroup : soc.genealogy.slavic.
      Now the genealogy messages, spam messsages, and sex-oriented messages
      are listed one after the other down the pages.
      There is no moderator, no administrator and no oversight.
      You can take discussions in whatever direction you want.
      Reply to a spammer's sex-oriented message 'to cease and desist' and
      his messages will get posted again, this time under your name.

      Welcome to Genealogy in Brave New Millennium 2001 ?
    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2001
        At 12:05 PM 8/2/01 +0000, you wrote:

        Mea culpa. I do agree A-H is too broad a brush, ergo Upper Hungary -
        Slovak Genealogy Only (UHSGO) would be more appropriate even though the
        acronym might be construed to have a potential for negative
        interpretation. On the other hand, one could consider it appropriate
        "immigrant speak" for "we are in the process of immigrating". I could
        certainly hear my parents using the term. Please note this is not a
        superfluous communication it is meant to clarify the scope of this
        list. The rule for meaningful dialogue is "define your terms". My final
        answer.

        John