Hungarian Chocolate Cake

  • terrileel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2001
      My Aunt Theresa loves watching the foodtv channel on cable and asked me to
      get this receipe for her, I thought to share it with everyone, especially
      Bruce. Terrilee

      RIGO JANSCI: HUNGARIAN CHOCOLATE CAKE
      Recipe courtesy Wayne Harley Brachman

      Chocolate Sponge:
      8 ounces semisweet chocolate
      6 eggs
      3/4 cup sugar
      1-tablespoon espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
      1/2 cup Dutch processed baking cocoa

      Cocoa Whipped Cream Filling:
      1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
      1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
      2 cups heavy cream
      Raspberry and apricot preserves

      Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 10 1/2 X 15 1/2-inch jellyroll pan
      with parchment and spray with nonstick vegetable spray. In a dry bowl, melt
      chocolate over barely simmering water. Whisk the eggs and sugar until they
      hold a ribbon shape for 2 seconds. Whisk in the Coffee mixture. Sift, then
      fold in the cocoa. Fold in the melted chocolate. Spread in the prepared pan
      and bake for 9 minutes until set. Let cool. Meanwhile, make the filling. Sift
      the cocoa and confectioners' sugar into the cream and whip to the consistency
      of shaving cream. Divide the sheet cake in half. Lightly spread one layer
      with apricot preserves. Spread on the whipped cream. Lightly spread the other
      half with raspberry preserves and flip on top of the whipped cream.
      Refrigerate.

      Ganache Frosting:
      4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
      1/2 cup heavy cream
      2 tablespoons pailettes de feuilletine (optional)
      1 tablespoon cocoa nibs (optional)

      Make the Ganache: Put the chocolate in a small bowl. Over medium heat, bring
      the cream to a scald. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Working from the
      center out, gently stir with a whisk to melt and blend. Continue stirring
      until smooth. Stir in the feuilletine and nibs. Pour over the cake. Allow
      cake to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate is set.

      Yield: 10 squares
      Prep Time: 5 minutes
      Cook Time: 1 hours 45 minutes