Re: [S-R] S-R Language Help

  • John
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2001
      At 06:56 PM 7/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
      >My inquiry pertained to getting software to translate rather than bothering
      >someone all the time. This way it's better for me and more productive too.
      >
      >The link to the hotel is: <A
      >HREF="http://www.atis.cz/h132.htm">Click here: Hotel</A>

      The URL shows that it is in the Czech Republic.

      There is a town in NE Czech Republic called Benkovice. It is about 20
      miles west of Ostrava.

      John
    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2001
        At 06:56 PM 7/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >My inquiry pertained to getting software to translate rather than bothering
        >someone all the time. This way it's better for me and more productive too.

        From what I've heard, most translation software is almost useless unless
        you know the language to some degree, even the expensive ones. You might
        try the on line ones just to get a feel for them. Unfortunately, if you
        don't know the language, it is difficult to know how well or poorly it has
        translated.

        http://www.foreignword.com/Tools/transnow.htm

        >I am researching the town named Benkovice. The family tree I have said they
        >came from Benkoviec and through further searching, I am inclined to think
        >Benkovice is the correct spelling (the person who typed this tree has been
        >discovered to make typing mistakes, just like me.

        A couple of points. Bohemia, Moravia, etc. were under Austria so a village
        in that area would not meet the Hungary criteria. The name Lipko sounds as
        if it is from the area to the east (now = SE Poland, NE Slovakia, W Ukraine).

        > Also their record
        >www.ellisisland.org stated that they came from Beukovcze Hungary, but I
        >couldn't find that either.

        There are two instances of the town's name in the manifest associated with
        Anna. On one page the "n" could be mistaken for a "u". I think there is a
        strong chance it is the town of Benkovce in Eastern Slovakia west of
        Humenne and north of Vranov Nad Toplu (Mgr. Miloslava Lipková - phone
        book). About 1773 it was known as Benkowcze.

        John

        >Thanks again,
        >
        >Terrilee

      • Eva Solti
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29, 2001
          what hotel website? then you know what language it is.

          the way it looks, I would think it's Check.

          evadarling
          evasolti@...