S-R Language Help

  • terrileel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2001
      Hi everyone, I'm new to the group. My first question relates to the text
      below but not it's content. I am hoping to acquire a translator for this
      language. Can anyone tell me what language is spoken in this text? And if
      you know how to get a translator, please let me know.

      Thanks so much,
      Terrilee

      Searching John & Anna Lipko (Lipka) Hungary Slovak

      This is from a hotel's website and I don't know what language it is... please
      help me acquire the right translator.

      moderní hotel na úpatí historicky ojedinelého komplexu zámeckých budov
      nabízí ideální podmínky pro relaxacní pobyty nárocných klientu. Na zámku
      pobývali L. van Beethoven a F. List. V blízké Opave (7 km) nejstarší muzeum
      ve strední Evrope - Slezské zemské muzeum. Vybavení: vnitrní bazén,
      restaurace, kavárna, vinárna, bar, kongresová hala, telocvicna, masáže,
      fitness, sauna, tenisový kurt (beton), herna stolního tenisu, kulecník,
      pujcovna sportovních potreb aj. Dalšími službami jsou taxi, diskotéky,
      kancelárské služby aj. Celkem 10 pokoju je upraveno bezbariérove. Možnost
      využití služeb jízdárny v Hradci n. M.

    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2001
        At 06:26 PM 7/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hi everyone, I'm new to the group. My first question relates to the text
        >below but not it's content. I am hoping to acquire a translator for this
        >language. Can anyone tell me what language is spoken in this text? And if
        >you know how to get a translator, please let me know.
        >
        >Thanks so much,
        >Terrilee

        Could you give us the URL for the hotel? Your post came in loaded with
        HTML characters which made it very difficult to read but it could be
        Slovak. Are you speaking of translating software or a person that can
        translate the language?

        John

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29, 2001
          My inquiry pertained to getting software to translate rather than bothering
          someone all the time. This way it's better for me and more productive too.

          The link to the hotel is: <A HREF="http://www.atis.cz/h132.htm">Click here: Hotel</A>

          I am researching the town named Benkovice. The family tree I have said they
          came from Benkoviec and through further searching, I am inclined to think
          Benkovice is the correct spelling (the person who typed this tree has been
          discovered to make typing mistakes, just like me. Also their record at
          www.ellisisland.org stated that they came from Beukovcze Hungary, but I
          couldn't find that either.

          Thanks again,

          Terrilee

        • John
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 29, 2001
            At 06:56 PM 7/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
            >My inquiry pertained to getting software to translate rather than bothering
            >someone all the time. This way it's better for me and more productive too.
            >
            >The link to the hotel is: <A
            >HREF="http://www.atis.cz/h132.htm">Click here: Hotel</A>

            The URL shows that it is in the Czech Republic.

            There is a town in NE Czech Republic called Benkovice. It is about 20
            miles west of Ostrava.

            John
          • John
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 29, 2001
              At 06:56 PM 7/29/01 -0400, you wrote:
              >My inquiry pertained to getting software to translate rather than bothering
              >someone all the time. This way it's better for me and more productive too.

              From what I've heard, most translation software is almost useless unless
              you know the language to some degree, even the expensive ones. You might
              try the on line ones just to get a feel for them. Unfortunately, if you
              don't know the language, it is difficult to know how well or poorly it has
              translated.

              http://www.foreignword.com/Tools/transnow.htm

              >I am researching the town named Benkovice. The family tree I have said they
              >came from Benkoviec and through further searching, I am inclined to think
              >Benkovice is the correct spelling (the person who typed this tree has been
              >discovered to make typing mistakes, just like me.

              A couple of points. Bohemia, Moravia, etc. were under Austria so a village
              in that area would not meet the Hungary criteria. The name Lipko sounds as
              if it is from the area to the east (now = SE Poland, NE Slovakia, W Ukraine).

              > Also their record
              >www.ellisisland.org stated that they came from Beukovcze Hungary, but I
              >couldn't find that either.

              There are two instances of the town's name in the manifest associated with
              Anna. On one page the "n" could be mistaken for a "u". I think there is a
              strong chance it is the town of Benkovce in Eastern Slovakia west of
              Humenne and north of Vranov Nad Toplu (Mgr. Miloslava Lipková - phone
              book). About 1773 it was known as Benkowcze.

              John

              >Thanks again,
              >
              >Terrilee

            • Eva Solti
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 29, 2001
                what hotel website? then you know what language it is.

                the way it looks, I would think it's Check.

                evadarling
                evasolti@...