Re: [S-R] Digest Number 658

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2001
      At 07:40 AM 7/29/01 -1200, you wrote:
      >On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:05:02 -0600, John <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
      > >Subject: Re: What next??
      >My question is this...how do you start to trace your relative's journey
      >across the US
      >after he or she has reached Ellis Island? I have my great grandmother's
      >arrival date
      >BERTHA SIMON (SIMOVA), 22 November 1905 on the Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse
      >out of Bremen. I know she lived most of her life in Chicago. But I don't
      >know how
      >she came west. She was only 14years old when she arrived, so someone must
      >have
      >sponsored her, right?

      Just using Simova this is the closest I could come. She was going to an
      uncle's home in Bridgeport, CT according to the ship's manifest on the
      Ellis Island database.

      John

      Simova, Franteska , Austria, Bohemian , Bredetice, Bohemia , 2 Nov 1905,
      17y , F , S Kaiser Wilhelm II
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2001
        At 07:40 AM 7/29/01 -1200, you wrote:
        >BERTHA SIMON (SIMOVA), 22 November 1905 on the Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse
        >out of Bremen. I know she lived most of her life in Chicago. But I don't
        >know how
        >she came west. She was only 14years old when she arrived, so someone must
        >have
        >sponsored her, right?

        I assumed she arrived as a Simova and later changed her name to
        Simon. Wrong assumption. She is listed as Simon on the manifest and is
        going to a brother-in-law, Josef Livov(?) in Chicago, W. 304 Chicago Ave.

        Simon, Bertha , Hungary, Slovak , Vrntky, Hungary , 22 Nov 1905 , 14y , F ,
        S , Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse , Bremen, Germany

        John