Re: looking for help

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28 3:05 AM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., connie ruley <connie_ruley@y...> wrote:
      > could anyone help me? i have gone into ellis island
      > records but i still can not fine my grandfather or
      > father listed on the records. i do have my fathe ins
      > papers. i do know that them came here in 1913 on the
      > ship call s.s. george wasington. they came out out
      > breman ger. the last name is kazimer or kazimir. have
      > have try all the diff. spelling that they have listed
      > but no luck. if someone has any idea i would really
      > app. the help. thank you connie

      Your ship traveled the Bremen, Germany - Southampton, England -
      Cherbourg, France- NYC route.
      Sometimes arrival dates and ship names were not correct in Amercian
      papers.
      Or the surnames were not correctly spelled or were changed in German
      ship's manifests by the German ship personnel.

      Get Index to PLs for your surnames from LDS-Mormons or NARA.
      The Soundex Code used should cover the possible different spellings.

      http://www.nara.gov/publications/microfilm/immigrant/immpass.html

      GEORGE WASHINGTON (2)

      The GEORGE WASHINGTON was built by AG Vulcan, Stettin, for
      Norddeutscher Lloyd, and launched on 10
      November 1908. 25,570 tons; 213,07 x 23,83 meters/699.1 x 78.2 feet
      (length x breadth); 2 funnels, 4 masts; twin
      screw propulsion, service speed 18 knots; accommodation for 568
      1st-class, 433 2nd-class, 452 3rd-class, and 1,226
      steerage-class passengers; crew of 585. 12 June 1909, maiden voyage,
      Bremerhaven-Southampton-Cherbourg-New
      York. 25 July 1914, last voyage, Bremerhaven-Southampton-Cherbourg-New
      York (arrived 3 August). 1914-1917,
      interned at New York. 6 April 1917, seized by the U.S. Government;
      navy transport. 1919, army transport; carried
      President Wilson to France for the Versailles Conference. January
      1920, transferred to the United States Shipping
      Board. October 1920, chartered to the United States Mail Lines;
      refitted by Tietjen & Lang, New York; 23,788 tons;
      accommodation for 573 1st-class, 442 2nd-class, and 1,485 3rd-class
      passengers. 3 August 1921, first voyage, New
      York-Plymouth-Cherbourg- Bremen (departed 17 August) - Southampton -
      Cherbourg - New York (1 roundtrip
      voyage). 3 September 1921, first voyage, same route, for the United
      States Lines. July 1926, passenger
      accommodation modified to 1st, 2nd, tourist, and 3rd class. January
      1928, passenger accommodation modified to
      cabin, tourist, and 3rd class. 11 December 1929, first voyage, New
      York-Plymouth-Cherbourg-Hamburg. 22
      September 1931, last voyage, New York-Plymouth-Cherbourg-Hamburg. 6
      October 1931, last voyage,
      Hamburg-Southampton- Cherbourg - New York (arrived 16 October). 29
      August 1932, towed to Patuxent River,
      Maryland, and laid up. 1940, CATLIN (U.S. Navy transport). 1941,
      British transport; reverted to GEORGE
      WASHINGTON. February 1942, returned to U.S. Maritime Commission for
      malfunctioning boilers. June 1942-April
      1943, after several journeys between New York and Panama, extensively
      rebuilt by Todd's, Brooklyn; converted to
      oil fuel, funnels reduced to 1. April 1943, U.S. Army transport. March
      1947, seriously damaged in a fire at New York;
      laid up at Baltimore. 17 January 1951, gutted by fire at Baltimore;
      scrapped [Arnold Kludas, Die grossen
      passagierschiffe der Welt; Eine Dokumentation , Band I: 1858-1912 (2nd
      ed.; Oldenburg/Hamburg: Gerhard Stalling,
      c1972), pp. 122-123; Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic
      Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger
      Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel
      Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 2
      (1978), p. 570]. Pictured in Michael J. Anuta, Ships of Our Ancestors
      (Menominee, MI: Ships of Our Ancestors,
      1983), p. 109, courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum, East India
      Square, Salem, MA 01970. For additional
      information and pictures, see: 1.Arnold Kludas, Die Seeschiffe des
      Norddeutschen Lloyd, Bd. 1: 1857 bis 1919
      (Herford: Koehler, c1991). 2.Edwin Drechsel, Norddeutscher Lloyd
      Bremen, 1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mails (2
      vols.; Vancouver: Cordillera Pub. Co., c1994- c1995). Posted to the
      Emigration-Ships Mailing List by Michael
      Palmer - 27 December 1997]