Re: Eureka! another question...

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 27, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Cherilyn Swenson <cherilynsw@y...> wrote:

      > Eureka! Thank you frankur@a... !! I had tried to get onto the
      Ellis Island site and never had any luck. After I got your post, I
      followed the link, expecting not to connect again, and this time I
      made it onto the site. I found my grandmother's entire family, minus
      her father, who I know came over earlier. Plus, I found some other
      names that I believe may be cousins of hers that came over from Kurima
      as well.

      > Next question -- according to the site, my grandmother was 5 months
      old when they arrived in late 1903. She always was adamant that she
      was born in the US, but I suspected otherwise from other stories I had
      heard. Any ideas on how I might find her birth record in Kurima? Is
      there a "vital records" or would it be better to go through the Roman
      Catholic church in the village for baptismal records?

      > Thanks
      >
      > Cherilyn

      Not unless your GM had been born on the ship within the 12 mile limit
      of U.S. territorial waters on the voyage to the U.S.

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. matriky (1714-1895) for Kurima,
      Slovakia, formerly Kurima, Sáros megye (county), Hungary.
      Text in Latin and Hungarian.

      film #
      1792391
      1792392
      1792393

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the G.C. parish church records (1852-1924) for
      Ort'utová, Slovakia, formerly Ortutó, Sáros megye (county), Hungary.
      Includes affiliated towns of KURIMA, Slovakia, formerly KURIMA , Sáros
      megye(county), Hungary, and Hazlín, Slovakia, formerly Hazslin, Sáros,
      Hungary.
      Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.

      film #
      1792920
      1792921

      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

      Hungarian English
      rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

      Only the film header titles are in Slovak.
      In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
      Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
      Sobás^ení = Marriages
      Zomrelí = Deaths

      In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

      Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

      In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
      Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
      Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
      Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

      During 1950-1951, the Communist government of Czechoslovakia had
      all the parish churches send their old matriky (pre-1895 church
      records) to the regional State Archives for safekeeping .
      This was done through local national committees after the church
      registers were declared state property by the government.