Re: Hazleton, PA

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 22, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Maureen Pulignano <deefalt@f...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know where I can access a city directory for Hazleton,
      PA
      > for 1900 and 1901? I haven't found it on the LDS site.
      > Maureen

      And you won't.

      Luzerne Co PA was a major anthracite (hard) coal mining area in
      NE PA.
      If you live near a NARA archive get 1900/1910 microfilms U.S. Census
      enumeration microfilms for Hazelton PA.
      Went through Hazelton PA census microfilms several years ago several
      times looking for surnames.
      There was almost a direct pipeline from Slovakia to the coal mines.
      Usually emigrants landed at Philadelphia port of entry and took train
      to this region. About 120 miles.
      Sometimes the emigrants who had been recruited by the coal company
      agents and landed at Ellis Island were sent on locked trains with
      guards aboard to the coal mines.
      Guards carried guns.
      American free enterprise system at work (for the coal mine owners)