Re: Films at the FHC (Permanent Loan)

  • John & Leslie Fabry
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 1999
      Anabeth,

      I looks like some/many of the FHCs no longer offer a true permanent loan for
      microfilm because they encounter situations where people move and do not notify
      the FHC that the film can be returned.

      At my FHC, the first loan is for 60 days, the first renewal is also for 60
      days, and the second renewal is for a year. If you notify them before the year
      is up, they will hold the film for another year at no charge. I was told I can
      keep renewing the film annually for free for up to 10 years. That's close
      enough to permanent for me. Plus, it probably keeps down the over-all film
      duplication costs.

      Some of this may be specific to my FHC; however, I have heard similar details
      from users of other FHCs. Also, the FHCs are rolling out a computer system to
      replace their manual film tracking. I would guess that the use of the computer
      system may standardize how they handle the film.

      Later,
      John Fabry

      http://Fabry.NET - Our genealogy findings (Check back if site is down)

      Surnames:
      FABRY/FABRI ARVAJ BUDAY BENDIK KISZEL KOLAROVITS MICHOK SAVEL WROBEL/VROBEL -
      Kubach(now Spi�sk� Bystr�), Slovakia

      SEMRICK/SZEMHRICZ BODNAR - Andrejova, Slovakia
      DiPAOLO MANCINI - from Batisani, Italy (near Rome)
      SARRA - from Casetina, Italy (north of Rome)
      VILLILLA - from Sambiase, Italy (southern Calabria region)
      DiCENZIO GIANNANGELI FLAVIANO - Italy