Re: Hencovce - Church Records??

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., AFe9963285@a... wrote:
      > Hi list from a new subscriber:
      >
      > I've just learned from naturalization records that two individuals I
      am
      > interested in were born in Hencovce, Zemplin Co in the 1871/72. In
      checking
      > the LDS library catalog, there is no entry for Hencovce. Does anyone
      know
      > whether there are R.C. church records for the village which just
      have not
      > been microfilmed or whether the residents attended the church at a
      > neighbouring village?
      >
      > The individuals in question were Mihaly TOMAS and Anna ONDIK
      >
      > Adrian Fenton
      > Wexford, PA

      Hencovce (Sv) Hencfalva (H)

      Its LDS-Mormons microfilms :

      R.C. and Jewish records are listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou
      G.C. records are listed under Sedliska'
      Lutheran records are listed under Kladzany

      Passed through Wexford sometime in the range of 35-45 yrs. ago. :-)
      It probably has changed , too.

      Frank Kurcina
    • John
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2001
        At 10:31 AM 7/8/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., AFe9963285@a... wrote:
        >
        >Hencovce (Sv) Hencfalva (H)
        >
        >Its LDS-Mormons microfilms :
        >
        >R.C. and Jewish records are listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou
        >G.C. records are listed under Sedliska'
        >Lutheran records are listed under Kladzany

        Frank, I went to the Family History Library Catalog and checked Vranov nad
        Topl'ou a couple of days ago and was unable to detect any mention of
        Hencovce at that time. Does it require the use of "Cirkevné Matriky na
        Slovensku zo 16. - 19. Storocia" to determine that? When I first started
        looking for my maternal ancestors I couldn't locate her village. While
        checking adjacent villages I was able to locate her records but the film
        information stated which villages were covered by the film. That doesn't
        seem to be the case for Hencovce and surrounding villages. TIA.

        John
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
          > At 10:31 AM 7/8/01 +0000, you wrote:
          > >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., AFe9963285@a... wrote:
          > >
          > >Hencovce (Sv) Hencfalva (H)
          > >
          > >Its LDS-Mormons microfilms :
          > >
          > >R.C. and Jewish records are listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou
          > >G.C. records are listed under Sedliska'
          > >Lutheran records are listed under Kladzany
          >
          > Frank, I went to the Family History Library Catalog and checked
          Vranov nad
          > Topl'ou a couple of days ago and was unable to detect any mention of
          > Hencovce at that time. Does it require the use of "Cirkevné
          Matriky na
          > Slovensku zo 16. - 19. Storocia" to determine that?

          Yes.
          Vranov nad Topl'ou has R.C. matriky for Vranov, Hencovce, Vranské
          Dlhé, C^ic^ava, Majerovce, Niz^ny' Kruc^ov, and Sedliska.
          Usually such places are called 'affiliated villages'.

          Had to order my copy from Slovakia and it cost me perhaps
          USD $ 60.
          Airmail postage was about two-thirds of the total purchase price.
          Otherwise by a slow boat.
          Book is cheaply printed on cheap paper, but I use it almost everyday
          and now some of the pages are beginning to wear out.

          > When I first started
          > looking for my maternal ancestors I couldn't locate her village.
          While
          > checking adjacent villages I was able to locate her records but the
          film
          > information stated which villages were covered by the film. That
          doesn't
          > seem to be the case for Hencovce and surrounding villages. TIA.
          >
          > John
          Frank Kurcina
        • John
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
            At 01:05 PM 7/9/01 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
            > > Frank, I went to the Family History Library Catalog and checked Vranov
            > nad > Topl'ou a couple of days ago and was unable to detect any mention
            > of > Hencovce at that time. Does it require the use of "Cirkevné
            > Matriky na > Slovensku zo 16. - 19. Storocia" to determine that?
            >
            >Yes.
            >Vranov nad Topl'ou has R.C. matriky for Vranov, Hencovce, Vranské
            >Dlhé, C^ic^ava, Majerovce, Niz^ny' Kruc^ov, and Sedliska.
            >Usually such places are called 'affiliated villages'.

            Thanks Frank. Have you found that the location of parish records has
            remained stable?

            John
          • frankur@att.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
              > At 01:05 PM 7/9/01 +0000, you wrote:
              > >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
              > > > Frank, I went to the Family History Library Catalog and checked
              Vranov
              > > nad > Topl'ou a couple of days ago and was unable to detect any
              mention
              > > of > Hencovce at that time. Does it require the use of "Cirkevné
              > > Matriky na > Slovensku zo 16. - 19. Storocia" to determine that?
              > >
              > >Yes.
              > >Vranov nad Topl'ou has R.C. matriky for Vranov, Hencovce, Vranské
              > >Dlhé, C^ic^ava, Majerovce, Niz^ny' Kruc^ov, and Sedliska.
              > >Usually such places are called 'affiliated villages'.
              >
              > Thanks Frank. Have you found that the location of parish records
              has
              > remained stable?
              >
              > John

              Stable as to under which place name the matriky are located.

              During 1950-1951, the Communist government of Czechoslovakia had
              all the parish churches send their old matriky (pre-1895 church
              records) to the regional State Archives for safekeeping .
              This was done through local national committees after the church
              registers were declared state property by the government.

              Some parish churches kept duplicate copies of the records.
              Druhopisy (i.e. second writing) was a duplicate copy known as the
              'bishop's copy'. So a duplicate of the original record may have been
              sent elsewhere.
              Some years have both parish records and "bishop's copies". Other years
              have only "bishop's copies", others only the parish registers. That
              can explain why a record may not be available at the parish but still
              be available elsewhere.
              >From 1828, the parish was obliged to make a copy of entries and
              send them to archives, so some records are preserved in duplicate.

              To date, the LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at
              six of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.