Hencovce - Church Records??

  • AFe9963285@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2001
      Hi list from a new subscriber:

      I've just learned from naturalization records that two individuals I am
      interested in were born in Hencovce, Zemplin Co in the 1871/72. In checking
      the LDS library catalog, there is no entry for Hencovce. Does anyone know
      whether there are R.C. church records for the village which just have not
      been microfilmed or whether the residents attended the church at a
      neighbouring village?

      The individuals in question were Mihaly TOMAS and Anna ONDIK

      Adrian Fenton
      Wexford, PA

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., AFe9963285@a... wrote:
        > Hi list from a new subscriber:
        >
        > I've just learned from naturalization records that two individuals I
        am
        > interested in were born in Hencovce, Zemplin Co in the 1871/72. In
        checking
        > the LDS library catalog, there is no entry for Hencovce. Does anyone
        know
        > whether there are R.C. church records for the village which just
        have not
        > been microfilmed or whether the residents attended the church at a
        > neighbouring village?
        >
        > The individuals in question were Mihaly TOMAS and Anna ONDIK
        >
        > Adrian Fenton
        > Wexford, PA

        Hencovce (Sv) Hencfalva (H)

        Its LDS-Mormons microfilms :

        R.C. and Jewish records are listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou
        G.C. records are listed under Sedliska'
        Lutheran records are listed under Kladzany

        Passed through Wexford sometime in the range of 35-45 yrs. ago. :-)
        It probably has changed , too.

        Frank Kurcina
      • John
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2001
          At 10:31 AM 7/8/01 +0000, you wrote:
          >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., AFe9963285@a... wrote:
          >
          >Hencovce (Sv) Hencfalva (H)
          >
          >Its LDS-Mormons microfilms :
          >
          >R.C. and Jewish records are listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou
          >G.C. records are listed under Sedliska'
          >Lutheran records are listed under Kladzany

          Frank, I went to the Family History Library Catalog and checked Vranov nad
          Topl'ou a couple of days ago and was unable to detect any mention of
          Hencovce at that time. Does it require the use of "Cirkevné Matriky na
          Slovensku zo 16. - 19. Storocia" to determine that? When I first started
          looking for my maternal ancestors I couldn't locate her village. While
          checking adjacent villages I was able to locate her records but the film
          information stated which villages were covered by the film. That doesn't
          seem to be the case for Hencovce and surrounding villages. TIA.

          John
        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
            > At 10:31 AM 7/8/01 +0000, you wrote:
            > >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., AFe9963285@a... wrote:
            > >
            > >Hencovce (Sv) Hencfalva (H)
            > >
            > >Its LDS-Mormons microfilms :
            > >
            > >R.C. and Jewish records are listed under Vranov nad Topl'ou
            > >G.C. records are listed under Sedliska'
            > >Lutheran records are listed under Kladzany
            >
            > Frank, I went to the Family History Library Catalog and checked
            Vranov nad
            > Topl'ou a couple of days ago and was unable to detect any mention of
            > Hencovce at that time. Does it require the use of "Cirkevné
            Matriky na
            > Slovensku zo 16. - 19. Storocia" to determine that?

            Yes.
            Vranov nad Topl'ou has R.C. matriky for Vranov, Hencovce, Vranské
            Dlhé, C^ic^ava, Majerovce, Niz^ny' Kruc^ov, and Sedliska.
            Usually such places are called 'affiliated villages'.

            Had to order my copy from Slovakia and it cost me perhaps
            USD $ 60.
            Airmail postage was about two-thirds of the total purchase price.
            Otherwise by a slow boat.
            Book is cheaply printed on cheap paper, but I use it almost everyday
            and now some of the pages are beginning to wear out.

            > When I first started
            > looking for my maternal ancestors I couldn't locate her village.
            While
            > checking adjacent villages I was able to locate her records but the
            film
            > information stated which villages were covered by the film. That
            doesn't
            > seem to be the case for Hencovce and surrounding villages. TIA.
            >
            > John
            Frank Kurcina
          • John
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
              At 01:05 PM 7/9/01 +0000, you wrote:
              >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
              > > Frank, I went to the Family History Library Catalog and checked Vranov
              > nad > Topl'ou a couple of days ago and was unable to detect any mention
              > of > Hencovce at that time. Does it require the use of "Cirkevné
              > Matriky na > Slovensku zo 16. - 19. Storocia" to determine that?
              >
              >Yes.
              >Vranov nad Topl'ou has R.C. matriky for Vranov, Hencovce, Vranské
              >Dlhé, C^ic^ava, Majerovce, Niz^ny' Kruc^ov, and Sedliska.
              >Usually such places are called 'affiliated villages'.

              Thanks Frank. Have you found that the location of parish records has
              remained stable?

              John
            • frankur@att.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 9, 2001
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
                > At 01:05 PM 7/9/01 +0000, you wrote:
                > >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., John <jmatsko4@h...> wrote:
                > > > Frank, I went to the Family History Library Catalog and checked
                Vranov
                > > nad > Topl'ou a couple of days ago and was unable to detect any
                mention
                > > of > Hencovce at that time. Does it require the use of "Cirkevné
                > > Matriky na > Slovensku zo 16. - 19. Storocia" to determine that?
                > >
                > >Yes.
                > >Vranov nad Topl'ou has R.C. matriky for Vranov, Hencovce, Vranské
                > >Dlhé, C^ic^ava, Majerovce, Niz^ny' Kruc^ov, and Sedliska.
                > >Usually such places are called 'affiliated villages'.
                >
                > Thanks Frank. Have you found that the location of parish records
                has
                > remained stable?
                >
                > John

                Stable as to under which place name the matriky are located.

                During 1950-1951, the Communist government of Czechoslovakia had
                all the parish churches send their old matriky (pre-1895 church
                records) to the regional State Archives for safekeeping .
                This was done through local national committees after the church
                registers were declared state property by the government.

                Some parish churches kept duplicate copies of the records.
                Druhopisy (i.e. second writing) was a duplicate copy known as the
                'bishop's copy'. So a duplicate of the original record may have been
                sent elsewhere.
                Some years have both parish records and "bishop's copies". Other years
                have only "bishop's copies", others only the parish registers. That
                can explain why a record may not be available at the parish but still
                be available elsewhere.
                >From 1828, the parish was obliged to make a copy of entries and
                send them to archives, so some records are preserved in duplicate.

                To date, the LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at
                six of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.