We need Translations, answers to questions & some guidance please

  • Bob Peg
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2001
      Dear list members,
      I recently received a report, on our MRAZIK family, done by a researcher in
      Bratislava. So far it looks pretty disappointing, as there is not a lot of
      new information. The information in this report is from Birth Register of
      Evangelic Church (Evangelic Ausburg Religion) in SOBA Bratislava, Slovakia.
      What is SOBA?
      The report only contained our grandfather & some of his siblings birth
      dates, baptism dates and Godparent's names.
      In this report I was sent, the years of birth match but the day and months
      do not match with what I have uncovered in the USA-(USA/marriage,
      naturalization, census, obits, death records).
      No birth records, marriage or death records were found during this research
      in Bratislava.

      It was suggested by this researcher that my next step would be to hire
      another researcher to locate the death records of our grandfather's parents.
      (I only have names for them -no details & no dates!) The researcher stated a
      death record for them was not found and they checked up to the year of 1903.
      - As I see it, that doesn't mean they didn't die somewhere else, just that
      no record exisits by this date in this place, right!?

      About the death records I was told:
      "These records are included in relevant registers located in the local
      authority in Brezová pod Bradlom.
      However, the access to the access to registration records from the end of
      the 19th century and from the 20th century is allowed only to direct
      relatives of the persons being researched. The reason is that these records
      include "live" data and therefore are restricted by Slovak privacy
      legislation. The only way to have access is to obtain your power of attorney
      (bilingual - Slovak & English) certified by your notary."
      Anyone know how this type of Power of Attorney is done?
      I don't know how I would obtain a bilingual power of attorney. It would be
      difficult to find someone in my area that knows Slovak.
      I don't understand how this Power of Attorney would work when I don't have
      any documentation proving grandfather's parentage, other than records he
      created here in the USA after he arrived in 1910.
      I have is his 1913 marriage record, which is from the state of Wisconsin,
      it's transcribed and riddled with errors! It lists everyone from Hungary,
      which I guess is what the area was called at that time. It listed his father
      as Paul Mrazik (I understand Paul = Pavel), his mother as Eliz. Kosac
      (surname should have been Kovack) and his bride as Mary Koles (surname
      should have been Kotes).
      I have a copy of his 1936 Social Security Application which lists his
      birthplace as Czechoslovakia and his mother as Betty (handwritting of her
      surname difficult to read but looks like) Kovonse. The 2nd "o" could be an
      "a" or an "e". His father is listed as Paul Mrazik.

      Can someone offer English translation of the following names? These are
      Slovak names, right?
      (I do not know how to make the diacritical marks.)

      Alzbeta
      Could this be Elizabeth in English?

      Beta
      Do I dare assume this is a short version of Alzbeta above?

      Jan
      Could this be John in English?

      Juro

      Jiri

      Zuzana
      Could this be Susannah in English?

      KOVACK is one of our surnames but I see this same word (kovack) listed with
      the word blacksmith. Does kovack mean blacksmith?

      Does anyone know the Slovak families custom on selecting the Godparents for
      their children during the time frame of 1870's-1890?
      How about naming patterns? Did they have a custom to name certain birth
      order children after certain family members? If so, can you provide some
      examples?

      Feelinga bit flustered here after many months of waiting & hoping we would
      finally make some progress...
      Thank-you for any assistance you can offer!
      Peggy
    • Beth
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 16, 2001
        > Can someone offer English translation of the following names? These
        are
        > Slovak names, right?
        > (I do not know how to make the diacritical marks.)
        >
        > Alzbeta
        > Could this be Elizabeth in English?
        I'd tend to agree on this one...

        > Beta
        > Do I dare assume this is a short version of Alzbeta above?
        probably is...

        > Jan
        > Could this be John in English?
        Definitely is...my grandfather was Jan Jandacka....americanized to
        John

        > Juro
        some form of George, perhaps....I had an uncle "Juraj"...translated
        to George

        > Jiri
        sorry...no idea...have never seen this one

        > Zuzana
        > Could this be Susannah in English?
        again, I'd say most likely

        Sorry I couldn't help more....just getting into the translations
        myself. Wishing you good luck in your searches.

        Beth
      • John
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 16, 2001
          At 12:49 AM 7/17/01 +0000, you wrote:

          I hope you don't mind but the image was too dark for me so I lightened it
          and uploaded it to the Slovak-Roots file area. I can help translate but it
          will take a while.

          Starting at - odabral sa na vec^nost - retired to(?) eternity on Friday the
          4th day of January 1957 at Brooksville hospital in Florida. Late (The
          deceased) suffered a heart attack (?) on the 27th day of December and was
          71 years old. He was born on the 12th day of May 1886 in Czechoslovakia
          (Upper Hungary) and came to the United States in 1903. He lived for many
          years in New York and he and his late wife were among the first residents
          (?) of Masayrktown, Florida.

          His funeral was Tuesday the 8th day of January 1957 at 10 am in the church
          of Saint Marie in Masaryktown Florida and he was laid to rest with his dear
          wife in the town cemetery.

          (May the rest in peace beseech ?): Then family members information

          John
        • Taryn Hopey
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 17, 2001
            HI,Beth, I just looked at the site from Frank he
            posted at:
            http:ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/oconee/misc/Foreign-names.txt
            and I found that Jan could be Jack or John in
            English.Jan is a Czech name for Jack. Jan is a Italian
            or a Polish name for John.There are others but the
            view of these names is wider than the screen to look
            at them all at once. please check the site out.
            Thanks Frank for the web site. Sincerely, Taryn
            --- Beth <oddginger@...> wrote:

            > > Can someone offer English translation of the
            > following names? These
            > are
            > > Slovak names, right?
            > > (I do not know how to make the diacritical marks.)
            > >
            > > Alzbeta
            > > Could this be Elizabeth in English?
            > I'd tend to agree on this one...
            > >
            > > Beta
            > > Do I dare assume this is a short version of
            > Alzbeta above?
            > probably is...
            > >
            > > Jan
            > > Could this be John in English?
            > Definitely is...my grandfather was Jan
            > Jandacka....americanized to
            > John
            > >
            > > Juro
            > some form of George, perhaps....I had an uncle
            > "Juraj"...translated
            > to George
            > >
            > > Jiri
            > sorry...no idea...have never seen this one
            > >
            > > Zuzana
            > > Could this be Susannah in English?
            > again, I'd say most likely
            >
            > Sorry I couldn't help more....just getting into the
            > translations
            > myself. Wishing you good luck in your searches.
            >
            > Beth

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Milan Huba
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 17, 2001
              Jiri is a Czech: Juraj is Slovak for George
              Zuzana is Susan
              > > Can someone offer English translation of the following names? These
              > are
              > > Slovak names, right?
              > > (I do not know how to make the diacritical marks.)
              > >
              > > Alzbeta
              > > Could this be Elizabeth in English?
              > I'd tend to agree on this one...
              > >
              > > Beta
              > > Do I dare assume this is a short version of Alzbeta above?
              > probably is...
              > >
              > > Jan
              > > Could this be John in English?
              > Definitely is...my grandfather was Jan Jandacka....americanized to
              > John
              > >
              > > Juro
              > some form of George, perhaps....I had an uncle "Juraj"...translated
              > to George
              > >
              > > Jiri
              > sorry...no idea...have never seen this one
              > >
              > > Zuzana
              > > Could this be Susannah in English?
              > again, I'd say most likely
              >
              > Sorry I couldn't help more....just getting into the translations
              > myself. Wishing you good luck in your searches.
              >
              > Beth

            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 17, 2001
                I do believe that I came across the name Jiri in eastern Slovakia church
                records, as a nickname for Juraj.

                > Jiri is a Czech: Juraj is Slovak for George
                > Zuzana is Susan

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Bob Peg
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 18, 2001
                  Thank-you

                  Jiri is a Czech: Juraj is Slovak for George
                  Zuzana is Susan
                  > > Can someone offer English translation of the following names? These
                  > are
                  > > Slovak names, right?
                  > > (I do not know how to make the diacritical marks.)
                  > >
                  > > Alzbeta
                  > > Could this be Elizabeth in English?
                  > I'd tend to agree on this one...
                  > >
                  > > Beta
                  > > Do I dare assume this is a short version of Alzbeta above?
                  > probably is...
                  > >
                  > > Jan
                  > > Could this be John in English?
                  > Definitely is...my grandfather was Jan Jandacka....americanized to
                  > John
                  > >
                  > > Juro
                  > some form of George, perhaps....I had an uncle "Juraj"...translated
                  > to George
                  > >
                  > > Jiri
                  > sorry...no idea...have never seen this one
                  > >
                  > > Zuzana
                  > > Could this be Susannah in English?
                  > again, I'd say most likely
                  >
                  > Sorry I couldn't help more....just getting into the translations
                  > myself. Wishing you good luck in your searches.
                  >
                  > Beth

                • Bob Peg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 18, 2001
                    Thank-you!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 20, 2001
                      Would any one know what the name "Jasko or Jasco"
                      means? Could it be "Jack"? Sincerely Taryn

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 20, 2001
                        At 05:30 AM 7/20/01 -0700, you wrote:
                        >Would any one know what the name "Jasko or Jasco"
                        >means? Could it be "Jack"? Sincerely Taryn
                        >--- Bob Peg <rpmrazik@...> wrote:
                        > > Thank-you

                        Jasio in Polish is one of several John equivalents.

                        Forms of Joseph in: Czech - Joza, Jozka, Hungarian - Joska, Jozsi, Polish
                        - Jazio Slovak - Jozka, Jozo

                        Forms of Basil: Vasil, Vasko

                        John
                      • Richard D. Custer
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 20, 2001
                          It's probably "Jacko" (i.e., "Yatzko") which is the diminutive of Jakov, or
                          Jacob in English. This would be a fairly common name among Lemko Rusyns,
                          such as somebody from your village of Perunka.

                          RDC