Re: Films at the FHC

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
      Anabeth,

      I am hearing sparodic reports that some FHCs are "discouraging"
      permanent loans, however that is NOT SLC policy. What SLC told every FHC
      is to go through their permanent collections and send back any films
      that no patron has used in quite awhile (but only after contacting the
      original person who ordered the film and getting their approval to
      return it).

      I have a friend in Georgia who has had a real problem with this issue at
      her FHC and even had to call SLC about it..... and SLC was not happy
      that her FHC was not allowing her to have the films she wanted in on
      permanent loan.

      The key is to be nice, but firm. If you can't get an answer, leave a
      note for the FHC director, and if that doesn't solve the problem, call
      or write to the stake president (who technically is in charge of the
      FHC).

      But hopefully you won't have a problem. If you do email me privately and
      I'll try and point you in the right direction.

      Maura

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 26, 1999
        Do you mind if I ask what kind of information is on these census films? Did
        they count everybody, and say something about where they lived, or what they
        did for a living? I assume this is already on Maura's or somebody's web
        page but I missed it. I did find a web page with a Hungarian census from
        1891 that lists all the small shopkeepers and craftsmen, and found a few
        family names.

        Andrea

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 27, 1999
          I didn't have time to study the films when they arrived. I'll have to borrow
          them again this fall after gardening season ends. The Brezova film was full
          of names I recognized from my Chicago childhood, along with about twenty
          columns for facts about each family: people, horses, sheep.

          Anabeth