Re: [S-R] Locating Hajagos

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7 8:10 AM
      Linda,

      Hajagos is now Klokoc~ov. It was in Ung/Uz~ County, the part that ended up
      in Slovakia rather than Subcarpathian Rus' (now Zakarpatska Oblast of
      Ukraine). So today it would probably be in Michalovce okres/county. It is
      on the north shore of the artificial lake "Zemplinska S~irava."

      Klokoc~ov is a village inhabited by Rusyns. There is a renowned Greek
      Catholic shrine there with a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary. There are
      annual pilgrimages there which draw at least tens of thousands of people.

      Rich Custer

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7 8:41 AM
        Fine, except in Linda's case she clearly wants the one by Michalovce /
        Zemplinska Sirava. The Lukacsena family originates there. That's one of
        the more common names from that village. I have all sorts of records that
        place Lukacsena individuals from Klokocov, Uz County in Greek Catholic Rusyn
        communities in Pennsylvania.

        RDC
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7 8:43 AM
          Hajagos is Klokoc^ov (Klokočov) in north central Slovakia, 3 km east of the
          Czech border, 7 km northwest of Turzovka, 17 km west of C^adca, 190 km north
          northeast of Bratislava.

          You're welcome.

          Dr. "Q"

          Linda Kleback wrote:

          > Yesterday was the first day I managed to really search the Ellis Island web
          > site, and I had some very good luck. The best was locating an entry for my
          > great-great grandmother Susanna Lukacsena. She has always been a puzzle.
          > Slovak church records document her birth and four marriages. She was listed
          > as nearest relative in Hungary when her daughter and granddaughters
          > immigrated in 1907. In 1915 she was also in PA where she is buried with the
          > surname of her second husband Andras Koctela who was the father of the
          > daughter she lived with. Thanks to the Ellis Island site I was able to find
          > her immigration record in 1912, proved by who she was going to join -- my
          > great-grandfather's family. Now I need a location for her residence:
          > Hajagos, Hungary. Is anyone familiar with that town?
          >
          > Linda
        • Dr. Joe Quashnock
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7 8:55 AM
            I just realized, I sent you the location of the wrong Klokoc^ov:

            The one you are interested in is in north east Slovakia:

            10 km northeast of Michalovce on lake Zempli'nska S^i'rava and 60 km east of
            Kos^ice.

            (There is a Klokoc^ov (Klokočov) in north central Slovakia, 3 km east of the
            Czech border, 7 km northwest of Turzovka, 17 km west of C^adca, 190 km north
            northeast of Bratislava. It is not the Hajagos you want)

            You're welcome.

            Dr. "Q"

            Linda Kleback wrote:

            > Yesterday was the first day I managed to really search the Ellis Island web
            > site, and I had some very good luck. The best was locating an entry for my
            > great-great grandmother Susanna Lukacsena. She has always been a puzzle.
            > Slovak church records document her birth and four marriages. She was listed
            > as nearest relative in Hungary when her daughter and granddaughters
            > immigrated in 1907. In 1915 she was also in PA where she is buried with the
            > surname of her second husband Andras Koctela who was the father of the
            > daughter she lived with. Thanks to the Ellis Island site I was able to find
            > her immigration record in 1912, proved by who she was going to join -- my
            > great-grandfather's family. Now I need a location for her residence:
            > Hajagos, Hungary. Is anyone familiar with that town?
            >
            > Linda

          • Dr. Joe Quashnock
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7 9:08 AM
              Yes, we're in agreement copy of my correction is below: