Re: KREPCIK & MADL surnames

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., pkrepcik@p... wrote:
      > Hello, I've learned a lot from all the email messages and queries
      but
      > still am baffled. I've been searching the KREPCIK and MADL surnames
      > for quite some time and seem to get nowhere. I'm wondering if I'm
      > looking in the wrong places. First of all could someone tell me if
      > KREPCIK is a Bohemian, Slovak, German, Czech. or ? The earliest
      > record I have is an obituary for Emil F.Krepcik born in Siegfeld,
      > Austria, Aug. 10, 1883 (died Jan. 2, 1953 in Omaha, Nebraska) I
      also
      > have an obituary for Mrs. Antonia MADL born in Germany, Dec. 25,
      1843
      > (died 1940 in Kansas City, Kansas) If you can help me with the
      > origin of these names, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
      >
      > Jan Krepcik

      The messages replies I posted yesterday never appeared in
      Slovak-Roots Digest.
      Kept copy of one message below.
      Will try once more.
      ------------------------
      Don't know your surnames.

      Krepcik can be a Slovak surname.
      Don't know from where in Slovakia.
      Unless you know surname village/town of origin in Slovakia
      very hard to say where it comes from.

      Krepcik can be a surname from former Czech-Bohemia as well.

      Velim is a small agricultural community located 70 km (28 miles) of
      Praha and 5 miles WNW of large town of Kolín.
      Velim was variously known as Vela, Velyne^, Velyna, Welim, Bajervek,
      and Siegfeld (G) over hundreds of years of its history.
      A battle was fought near it between the Austrian and Prussian forces
      in 1757.

      Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
      (10th century-1918) and part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
      (1867-1918)
      It was an Austrian Kröneland (province)
      Both German and Czech languages were used.

      Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
      Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
      Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
      Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
      of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
      (Austrian-Silesia).

      The Austrian Habsburgs, accustomed to being imperial, assumed the
      title of Emperor of Austria in 1804. Later, the "dual-monarchy" was
      established, with the Habsburgs as Emperors of Austria and Kings of
      Hungary, the combined realm being known as "Austria-Hungary".

      Madl is a German surname.
      German telephone directory lists 500+ surname Madl.

      Following the end of WW II (1945) the Czechs expelled the 3 million
      Germans in Czechoslovakia (some with ethnic surnames back for 100s of
      years) back to Germany and renamed all the German named towns back to
      their Czech
      names.

      Checked the Ellis Island Records Web site for surname Krepcik.
      Only 7 surnames were listed ; 6 were from Siegfeld Austria.

      The above suggests it was actually located in Czech- Bohemia which
      was an Austrian province before WW I.
      1 surname was listed as from Hamburg, Germany but Hamburg was port of
      exit for all the surnames and perhaps was just temporary Last
      Residence in Europe.

      The Krepcik data from EIR didn't get posted in my prior reply either.

      Arrived 4 August 1899 from Hamburg, Germany.
      Family Krepcik from Siegfield Austria.
      Joseph , age 51, Austrian joiner (occupation) Married
      Emanuel, age 15, Austrian joiner
      Anna , age 50 , Austrian wife Married
      Marie, age 11, Austrian child

      Their Final Destination
      Paragu.? Neb USA
      to address of 2 daughters and 1 son living there
      Bad handwriting
      Hard to say what town in Nebraska was called Parag. ? over 100 years
      ago.

      Frank Kurcina
    • Taryn Hopey
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
        Hi John, I'm a novice researcher yet I have ran across
        this web site and somewhere in it has a cross index
        where you can check your surname to try to find its
        nationality. Check out //feefhs.org I hope this helps
        you. It's in Engish. You might check out hungarian
        names, yes its a puzzle thats for sure. There are
        people who will help,this is a large site so it might
        take a while. I always find myself getting lost and
        frustrated, just keep plunking away at it you'll find
        it. sincerely Taryn

        http://members.tripod.com/~zlimpkk/Genealogy/czechsurnames.html
        > ,
        > but they only list the top 100 or so surnames. I
        > have no idea of the
        > ethnic origin of the names.
        >
        > John

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • John
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
          At 09:13 AM 7/5/01 -0700, you wrote:
          >Hi John, I'm a novice researcher yet I have ran across
          >this web site and somewhere in it has a cross index
          >where you can check your surname to try to find its
          >nationality. Check out //feefhs.org I hope this helps
          >you. It's in Engish.

          Thank you. I'll pass this information on.

          John
        • Kimberly Rought
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
            John,
            I was wondering if you have seen a link for a Slovenian surname site like the one you have listed below. I would appreciate your help.
            Thanks,
            Kimberly
            rkrought@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
              In a message dated 7/7/01 6:14:23 PM, rkrought@... writes:

              << I was wondering if you have seen a link for a Slovenian surname site like
              the one you have listed below. I would appreciate your help. >>

              Check out the following Web Site:
              http://www.arctur.si/slovenia/surnames.html
            • BobHORGOS@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
                In a message dated 7/7/01 10:49:01 PM, BobHORGOS@... writes:

                << Check out the following Web Site:
                http://www.arctur.si/slovenia/surnames.html

                If you will add the numbers 2, 3, and 4 after the word "surnames" in the
                above URL you can access additional pages for that Web Site.
              • John
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
                  At 02:21 AM 7/8/01 -0400, you wrote:

                  >In a message dated 7/7/01 10:49:01 PM, BobHORGOS@... writes:
                  >
                  ><< Check out the following Web Site:
                  >http://www.arctur.si/slovenia/surnames.html
                  > >>

                  >If you will add the numbers 2, 3, and 4 after the word "surnames" in the
                  >above URL you can access additional pages for that Web Site.

                  The following has a listing of Slovenian given and surnames but no analysis
                  of the names:

                  http://www.the1phoenix.net/english/names/Slovenia.htm

                  Also Slovenian surname information:

                  http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/SGSIpnw/SurnameOriginIndex.html