RE: KREPCIK & MADL surnames

  • pkrepcik@povn.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2001
      Hello, I've learned a lot from all the email messages and queries but
      still am baffled. I've been searching the KREPCIK and MADL surnames
      for quite some time and seem to get nowhere. I'm wondering if I'm
      looking in the wrong places. First of all could someone tell me if
      KREPCIK is a Bohemian, Slovak, German, Czech. or ? The earliest
      record I have is an obituary for Emil F.Krepcik born in Siegfeld,
      Austria, Aug. 10, 1883 (died Jan. 2, 1953 in Omaha, Nebraska) I also
      have an obituary for Mrs. Antonia MADL born in Germany, Dec. 25, 1843
      (died 1940 in Kansas City, Kansas) If you can help me with the
      origin of these names, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

      Jan Krepcik
    • John
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2001
        At 04:30 PM 7/3/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >Hello, I've learned a lot from all the email messages and queries but
        >still am baffled. I've been searching the KREPCIK and MADL surnames
        >for quite some time and seem to get nowhere. I'm wondering if I'm
        >looking in the wrong places. First of all could someone tell me if
        >KREPCIK is a Bohemian, Slovak, German, Czech. or ?

        Using the |Czech online phone directory I found a few Krepc^ik (~ 6) in the
        cities (Praha, Brno, Ostrava) of the Czech Republic and about 14 Madl and
        several Madlova in Praha alone. Not much luck in Slovakia. They don't show
        up at this Czech surname
        site, http://members.tripod.com/~zlimpkk/Genealogy/czechsurnames.html ,
        but they only list the top 100 or so surnames. I have no idea of the
        ethnic origin of the names.

        John
      • frankur@att.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., pkrepcik@p... wrote:
          > Hello, I've learned a lot from all the email messages and queries
          but
          > still am baffled. I've been searching the KREPCIK and MADL surnames
          > for quite some time and seem to get nowhere. I'm wondering if I'm
          > looking in the wrong places. First of all could someone tell me if
          > KREPCIK is a Bohemian, Slovak, German, Czech. or ? The earliest
          > record I have is an obituary for Emil F.Krepcik born in Siegfeld,
          > Austria, Aug. 10, 1883 (died Jan. 2, 1953 in Omaha, Nebraska) I
          also
          > have an obituary for Mrs. Antonia MADL born in Germany, Dec. 25,
          1843
          > (died 1940 in Kansas City, Kansas) If you can help me with the
          > origin of these names, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
          >
          > Jan Krepcik

          The messages replies I posted yesterday never appeared in
          Slovak-Roots Digest.
          Kept copy of one message below.
          Will try once more.
          ------------------------
          Don't know your surnames.

          Krepcik can be a Slovak surname.
          Don't know from where in Slovakia.
          Unless you know surname village/town of origin in Slovakia
          very hard to say where it comes from.

          Krepcik can be a surname from former Czech-Bohemia as well.

          Velim is a small agricultural community located 70 km (28 miles) of
          Praha and 5 miles WNW of large town of Kolín.
          Velim was variously known as Vela, Velyne^, Velyna, Welim, Bajervek,
          and Siegfeld (G) over hundreds of years of its history.
          A battle was fought near it between the Austrian and Prussian forces
          in 1757.

          Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
          (10th century-1918) and part of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
          (1867-1918)
          It was an Austrian Kröneland (province)
          Both German and Czech languages were used.

          Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
          Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
          Its capital was Brünn (Brno).
          Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
          of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
          (Austrian-Silesia).

          The Austrian Habsburgs, accustomed to being imperial, assumed the
          title of Emperor of Austria in 1804. Later, the "dual-monarchy" was
          established, with the Habsburgs as Emperors of Austria and Kings of
          Hungary, the combined realm being known as "Austria-Hungary".

          Madl is a German surname.
          German telephone directory lists 500+ surname Madl.

          Following the end of WW II (1945) the Czechs expelled the 3 million
          Germans in Czechoslovakia (some with ethnic surnames back for 100s of
          years) back to Germany and renamed all the German named towns back to
          their Czech
          names.

          Checked the Ellis Island Records Web site for surname Krepcik.
          Only 7 surnames were listed ; 6 were from Siegfeld Austria.

          The above suggests it was actually located in Czech- Bohemia which
          was an Austrian province before WW I.
          1 surname was listed as from Hamburg, Germany but Hamburg was port of
          exit for all the surnames and perhaps was just temporary Last
          Residence in Europe.

          The Krepcik data from EIR didn't get posted in my prior reply either.

          Arrived 4 August 1899 from Hamburg, Germany.
          Family Krepcik from Siegfield Austria.
          Joseph , age 51, Austrian joiner (occupation) Married
          Emanuel, age 15, Austrian joiner
          Anna , age 50 , Austrian wife Married
          Marie, age 11, Austrian child

          Their Final Destination
          Paragu.? Neb USA
          to address of 2 daughters and 1 son living there
          Bad handwriting
          Hard to say what town in Nebraska was called Parag. ? over 100 years
          ago.

          Frank Kurcina
        • Taryn Hopey
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
            Hi John, I'm a novice researcher yet I have ran across
            this web site and somewhere in it has a cross index
            where you can check your surname to try to find its
            nationality. Check out //feefhs.org I hope this helps
            you. It's in Engish. You might check out hungarian
            names, yes its a puzzle thats for sure. There are
            people who will help,this is a large site so it might
            take a while. I always find myself getting lost and
            frustrated, just keep plunking away at it you'll find
            it. sincerely Taryn
            --- John <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
            > At 04:30 PM 7/3/01 +0000, you wrote:
            > >Hello, I've learned a lot from all the email
            > messages and queries but
            > >still am baffled. I've been searching the KREPCIK
            > and MADL surnames
            > >for quite some time and seem to get nowhere. I'm
            > wondering if I'm
            > >looking in the wrong places. First of all could
            > someone tell me if
            > >KREPCIK is a Bohemian, Slovak, German, Czech. or ?
            >
            > Using the |Czech online phone directory I found a
            > few Krepc^ik (~ 6) in the
            > cities (Praha, Brno, Ostrava) of the Czech Republic
            > and about 14 Madl and
            > several Madlova in Praha alone. Not much luck in
            > Slovakia. They don't show
            > up at this Czech surname
            > site,

            http://members.tripod.com/~zlimpkk/Genealogy/czechsurnames.html
            > ,
            > but they only list the top 100 or so surnames. I
            > have no idea of the
            > ethnic origin of the names.
            >
            > John

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • John
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
              At 09:13 AM 7/5/01 -0700, you wrote:
              >Hi John, I'm a novice researcher yet I have ran across
              >this web site and somewhere in it has a cross index
              >where you can check your surname to try to find its
              >nationality. Check out //feefhs.org I hope this helps
              >you. It's in Engish.

              Thank you. I'll pass this information on.

              John
            • Kimberly Rought
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
                John,
                I was wondering if you have seen a link for a Slovenian surname site like the one you have listed below. I would appreciate your help.
                Thanks,
                Kimberly
                rkrought@...

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
                  In a message dated 7/7/01 6:14:23 PM, rkrought@... writes:

                  << I was wondering if you have seen a link for a Slovenian surname site like
                  the one you have listed below. I would appreciate your help. >>

                  Check out the following Web Site:
                  http://www.arctur.si/slovenia/surnames.html
                • BobHORGOS@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
                    In a message dated 7/7/01 10:49:01 PM, BobHORGOS@... writes:

                    << Check out the following Web Site:
                    http://www.arctur.si/slovenia/surnames.html

                    If you will add the numbers 2, 3, and 4 after the word "surnames" in the
                    above URL you can access additional pages for that Web Site.
                  • John
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 7, 2001
                      At 02:21 AM 7/8/01 -0400, you wrote:

                      >In a message dated 7/7/01 10:49:01 PM, BobHORGOS@... writes:
                      >
                      ><< Check out the following Web Site:
                      >http://www.arctur.si/slovenia/surnames.html
                      > >>

                      >If you will add the numbers 2, 3, and 4 after the word "surnames" in the
                      >above URL you can access additional pages for that Web Site.

                      The following has a listing of Slovenian given and surnames but no analysis
                      of the names:

                      http://www.the1phoenix.net/english/names/Slovenia.htm

                      Also Slovenian surname information:

                      http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/SGSIpnw/SurnameOriginIndex.html