Re: [S-R] Just Starting

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
      At 11:40 PM 7/2/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >I am looking for information on the following names: Guziak, Dzuibek,
      >Holya, Borsenik, Kasprzak, Korciciak. I have some information that
      >Guziak is from Guzowka. Records show Guziak and Dzuibek married in
      >Jablonka, Nowy Targ, Poland but grandfather told me they were Slovak.
      >I can't find anything on Holya, Borsenik, Kasprzak or Korciciak.
      >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      From the map it looks like Nowy Targ and Jablonka are cities in the same
      vicinity (about 10 crow flies miles). I'm not that familiar with the
      border adjustments that occurred over the years but there are areas that
      were once Slovak and then became Polish villages. I found Hol'a in the
      town of Trstena not far from the Polish border below Jablonka. Hol'a, I
      believe would be pronounced Holya because of the diacritic on the
      l. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a Polish online phone
      directory. Have you tried:

      http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/polandbordersurnames

      You can probably sign up at this site or just use the archives. To sign up:

      1. How to subscribe. Send a message to

      PolandBorderSurnames-L-request@...

      that contains (in the body of the message) the command

      subscribe

      and no additional text.

      John

    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
        Jablonka is now in Poland but formerly was in Slovakia. It's
        southwest of Nowy Targ, very near the Slovak border. It was formerly
        part of Hungary's Arva/Orava county, which after the breakup of the
        Hungarian empire was divided between Slovakia and Poland.

        Joe Armata
        joe@...