Re: [S-R] Hungarian Towns

  • Bernardine Weigand
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      According to my "Nazvy Obci..." book:
      Mestec~ko, in old Trenc~ianska was/is: 1773-Mestecsko, Mesztecsko, Mestec~ko; 1786-Mesztecschko; 1808-Mesztecsko, Mestec~ko; 1863-Mesztecsko; 1873-1902-Mesztecsko; 1907-1913-Lednickisfalu ( this may be the "Kisfaln");1920--on 'til now--Mestec~ko.

      Hope this helps a little.

      Bernardine
      Ken Sajdak wrote:

      > I have been having a great time studying passenger manifests trying to
      > find my family.
      >
      > I have, but as usual, have also discovered MANY questions. Most, while
      > interesting to me, have little to do with the group. But one is
      > something I recall being discussed here, and now the info could be
      > useful.
      >
      > My grandmother came over and listed her last place of residence as
      > Szodina Kisfaln, Hungary. I know where she came from... Mestechko,
      > Slovak Rebublic.
      >
      > Where is the Hungarian location: Szodina Kisfaln?
      >
      > Ken Sajdak
      > Researching SAJDAK, SIDLIK, RUMAN

    • Ken Sajdak
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        My grandmother spoke Slovak.

        I know where Mestecko and Zariecie are... my grandparent's home... wanted to
        know about the other Hungarian name.... seems to be the same place.

        John wrote:

        > At 09:15 AM 7/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
        > >My grandmother came over and listed her last place of residence as
        > >Szodina Kisfaln, Hungary. I know where she came from... Mestechko,
        > >Slovak Rebublic.
        > >
        > >Where is the Hungarian location: Szodina Kisfaln?
        >
        > Is the Slovak town spelled Mestec^ko? It would be pronounced
        > Mestechko. From 1907-1913 it was known as Lednickisfalu. I believe that
        > "kis" means small and "falu" translates to village. You might try
        > using http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm to probe around
        > in Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic because of Mestec^ko's nearness
        > to the Czech border. did your grandmother speak Slovak, Hungarian, Czech?
        >
        > John

      • John
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
          At 02:39 PM 7/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
          >My grandmother spoke Slovak.
          >
          >I know where Mestecko and Zariecie are... my grandparent's home... wanted to
          >know about the other Hungarian name.... seems to be the same place.

          I also used "Nazvy Obci SKR" to check some of the small villages around
          Mestec^ko before I replied earlier. None of the ones I checked had
          "Szodina" in their names over the years. There certainly seems to be a
          difference between "Szodina" and "Lednic". That's why I suggested writing
          the S^ajda'k in Mestec^ko to see if they knew.

          John

          >John wrote:
          >
          > > At 09:15 AM 7/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
          > > >My grandmother came over and listed her last place of residence as
          > > >Szodina Kisfaln, Hungary. I know where she came from... Mestechko,
          > > >Slovak Rebublic.
          > > >
          > > >Where is the Hungarian location: Szodina Kisfaln?
          > >
          > > Is the Slovak town spelled Mestec^ko? It would be pronounced
          > > Mestechko. From 1907-1913 it was known as Lednickisfalu. I believe that
          > > "kis" means small and "falu" translates to village. You might try
          > > using http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm to probe around
          > > in Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic because of Mestec^ko's nearness
          > > to the Czech border. did your grandmother speak Slovak, Hungarian, Czech?
          > >
          > > John

        • Dr. Joe Quashnock
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
            I cannot find Szodina Kisfaln, the following do/did exist:

            Szo'd = Sa^ud, Romania
            Szodo' = Svodov, Slovakia (3 km north of Z^eliezovce in south central Slovakia
            about 12 km west of the Hungarian border)
            Szodoro' = Sudura^u, Romania
            Szud = Su'dovce, Slovakia (22 km northeast of Z^eliezovce and 18 km northwest of
            S^ahy)

            Szidorfalva = Grabovo / Hrabove, Ukraine

            Kisfalu = Pordas^inci, Slovenia

            Kisfalud = (there are/were 13 Kisfalud names):
            Branjina, Hungary
            Fi^nti^nele, Romania
            Vieska nad Z^itavou (Barskisfalud), Slovakia; 20 km east of Nitra, 9 km northeast
            of Vra'ble and 9 km south west of Zlate' Moravce
            Vieska (Dunkisfalud also named Oszla'nykisfalud), Slovakia; there are 8 towns on
            Slovakia with that name, but it is probably the Vieska next to Vel'ke' Ripn^any, 20
            km north northeast of Nitra
            Kecest (Kecsetkisfalud), Romania
            Mices(sickle below the s)ti (Maroskisfalud also named Ompolykisfalud), Romania
            Mindszentka'lla, Hungary
            Rabakisfalud, Hungary
            Sorkikisfalud, Hungary
            Kisfalud (Zselickisfalud), Hungary

            I cannot find either the single or combined words of Szodina Kisfaln. Are these
            names clearly written on a reliable document or are they verbal family history?
            Mestec^ko is quite a distance from all of the above.

            Dr. "Q"