Hungarian Towns

  • Ken Sajdak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      I have been having a great time studying passenger manifests trying to
      find my family.

      I have, but as usual, have also discovered MANY questions. Most, while
      interesting to me, have little to do with the group. But one is
      something I recall being discussed here, and now the info could be
      useful.

      My grandmother came over and listed her last place of residence as
      Szodina Kisfaln, Hungary. I know where she came from... Mestechko,
      Slovak Rebublic.

      Where is the Hungarian location: Szodina Kisfaln?

      Ken Sajdak
      Researching SAJDAK, SIDLIK, RUMAN
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
        At 09:15 AM 7/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
        >My grandmother came over and listed her last place of residence as
        >Szodina Kisfaln, Hungary. I know where she came from... Mestechko,
        >Slovak Rebublic.
        >
        >Where is the Hungarian location: Szodina Kisfaln?

        Is the Slovak town spelled Mestec^ko? It would be pronounced
        Mestechko. From 1907-1913 it was known as Lednickisfalu. I believe that
        "kis" means small and "falu" translates to village. You might try
        using http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm to probe around
        in Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic because of Mestec^ko's nearness
        to the Czech border. did your grandmother speak Slovak, Hungarian, Czech?

        John
      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
          At 09:15 AM 7/1/01 -0500, you wrote:
          >My grandmother came over and listed her last place of residence as
          >Szodina Kisfaln, Hungary. I know where she came from... Mestechko,
          >Slovak Rebublic.
          >
          >Where is the Hungarian location: Szodina Kisfaln?
          >
          >Ken Sajdak
          >Researching SAJDAK, SIDLIK, RUMAN

          I forgot to add that there are two S^ajda'k listings for Mestec^ko (
          Miroslav and a Zuzana ). You might try writing them to see if they have a
          clue.

          John