name equivalent

  • Jenny Brichta
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2001
      Hi all,

      Does anyone know what the Slovak and English equivalent is for the Czech
      name Juraj?

      thanks,

      Jenny
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2001
        At 11:16 AM 6/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
        >Hi all,
        >
        >Does anyone know what the Slovak and English equivalent is for the Czech
        >name Juraj?
        >
        >thanks,
        >
        >Jenny

        Juraj would be George in Czech and Slovak (at least eastern Slovakia)
        although I've seen the following listed for Slovak:

        George = Juricek, Georg = Jurik, Georgie = Jurko

        John
      • petrovi@nsppresov.sk
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
          GEORGE:

          Jura isn`t Slovak ( correct is JURAJ)
          Juraj isn`t Czech ( correct is Jir^i)

          Juric^ek and Jurik are atypical nicknames.
          Jurko is most frequently used nickname.
          Another frequently used nicknames in Slovakia are:
          D^uro, D^uri, D^urko.

          In Austria-Hungary records George is also listed in Latin as Georgius.

          Imrich