Re: [S-R] surname origin/meaning question

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
      At 05:39 AM 6/29/01 -0800, you wrote:
      >No one seems to be answering, so maybe this will get things started:
      >
      >Zube is tooth in Czech,
      >Zauber is magic in German.
      >
      >Good luck, with the common changes in vowels due to local dialects and the
      >mix of Czech & German settlers in Bohemia, you have quite a puzzle!
      >
      >Ron

      A dentist is a "zubni lekar" in Czech and in German a magician is a
      Zauberer. Perhaps Zuber could be translated as one who makes teeth
      disappear magically. The first painless (hopefully) dentists.

      John
    • Richard D. Custer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
        Gribov [Hrybiv] is not in Bohemia, it's a Rusyn-inhabited village in
        northeast Slovakia. There were eastern Slovakia German settlements in Spis
        and around Bardejov for sure, but rather few that far east...

        zuby means teeth in Rusyn also...