Re: [S-R] surname origin/meaning question

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
      No one seems to be answering, so maybe this will get things started:

      Zube is tooth in Czech,
      Zauber is magic in German.

      Good luck, with the common changes in vowels due to local dialects and the
      mix of Czech & German settlers in Bohemia, you have quite a puzzle!

      Ron

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
        At 05:39 AM 6/29/01 -0800, you wrote:
        >No one seems to be answering, so maybe this will get things started:
        >
        >Zube is tooth in Czech,
        >Zauber is magic in German.
        >
        >Good luck, with the common changes in vowels due to local dialects and the
        >mix of Czech & German settlers in Bohemia, you have quite a puzzle!
        >
        >Ron

        A dentist is a "zubni lekar" in Czech and in German a magician is a
        Zauberer. Perhaps Zuber could be translated as one who makes teeth
        disappear magically. The first painless (hopefully) dentists.

        John
      • Richard D. Custer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
          Gribov [Hrybiv] is not in Bohemia, it's a Rusyn-inhabited village in
          northeast Slovakia. There were eastern Slovakia German settlements in Spis
          and around Bardejov for sure, but rather few that far east...

          zuby means teeth in Rusyn also...