Re: [S-R] Digest Number 628

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2001
      At 09:05 AM 6/28/01 -0400, you wrote:
      >Slovakia -----my great grandmother married an Andrew Evans in Slovakia and I
      >am told Evans name is so plentiful in that country as Smith is in our Country

      Hi Marie, that one piqued my curiosity. I couldn't find any Evans in the
      major cities (only four Evanson in Bratislava). My guess is that perhaps
      it is a variation on Ivan which is pronounced E-von and could be mistaken
      for Evans. I found 196 names beginning in Ivan...... in Kosice alone. The
      system seemed to have crashed when I checked Bratislava but I'm certain
      variations on "Ivan" would be found all over Slovakia. Instead of Smith it
      might be Johnson.

      John