New to group

  • winn@svol.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2001
      Hi All

      Maureen suggested that I join this group. I am researching the
      following names:

      KRIVJANSKI/KRIVJANSZKI from the village of Kereknye, Ung megye
      KOTYKO from the village of Csaszlocz, Ung megye

      Other related names are Gajdos/Gaydos and Toth.

      I have checked death records and ship records and that is the
      information that I have come up with so far.

      I am also helping a friend research her family. Her names are:

      PALKO/TOTH from the village of Damoc, Zemplen
      VILAGI

      Any suggestions, advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

      Robin Winner
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., winn@s... wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > Maureen suggested that I join this group. I am researching the
        > following names:
        >
        > KRIVJANSKI/KRIVJANSZKI from the village of Kereknye, Ung megye
        > KOTYKO from the village of Csaszlocz, Ung megye
        >
        > Other related names are Gajdos/Gaydos and Toth.
        >
        > I have checked death records and ship records and that is the
        > information that I have come up with so far.
        >
        > I am also helping a friend research her family. Her names are:
        >
        > PALKO/TOTH from the village of Damoc, Zemplen
        > VILAGI
        >
        > Any suggestions, advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Robin Winner

        Tot, Tót, Toth, Tóth, Totth, Tótth is second most common Hungarian
        surname.
        Probably 50,000+ surnme bearers just in Hungary.

        If surname dates are from the pre-WWI era :

        To obtain your surname records will require the ability to write in
        Ukrainian using the Cyrillic alphabet to the Ukrainian Archives.
        To obtain friend's surname records will require writing in the
        Hungarian language to the Hungarian archive.

        In Hungarian the letter Sz is pron. S.
        Krivjanszki = Krivjanski.
        Hungarian and Slovak don't use the letter w.
        Or Kriwjanski would have been a Polish surname.

        Keereknye Korytnjany is now located in the Ukraine south of Uz^horod.
        It was a Carpatho-Rusyn (Ruthenian) village 1900-1921.
        Before WW I located in old Hungarian county Ung Megye.
        After 1920 located in Subcarpathian Rus' (Karpatho-Ukraine) until 1938
        as part of Czechoslovakia.
        Császloc (H) C^alivci (Sk) is located just south of Kortnjany in the
        Ukraine.
        It was a Carpatho-Rusyn village, 1806.

        What was surname religion ?
        Kotyko looks like a Ruthenian surname ?

        Dámóc (H) is still located in Hungary across from Dobrá at the
        current Slovakia border.
        It was also a Carpatho-Rusyn village, 1806.
        After the peace treaty in 1920, the former old Hungarian Zemplén megye
        was cut in half.
        The northern portion of the county became part of Slovakia and the
        rest down to near Miskolc remained part of Hungary.
        Dámóc remained in Hungary and is now located in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén
        megye.
        Each Hungarian county has a provincial archive.
        Frank Kurcina
      • Robin
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29, 2001
          Frank,

          Thanks for the help. Can you suggest how I would write letters in
          Hungarian or Ukrainian? Is there a website or some kind of software
          that would be of help?

          My g. grandfather, Michael Krivjanski, was of the Greek Catholic
          Orthodox faith. My g. grandmother, Elizabeth Kotyko, was Roman
          Catholic.

          What is Ruthenian?

          Thank you so much for your help. I have been wondering what the
          current names of the villages were and I wasn't sure how to find
          out. I really appreciate your help!

          Robin
        • magnumaid
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
            Hello,

            I'm a new member and taking a moment to say hello to the group.

            The family names I'm researching are, RIDILLA from Saris County,
            LAMPART from Jakubany/Nova Lubovna area, and BUCHSTABIRER from
            Kaposztafalu (Hrabusice). Also SKAPURA (though I doubt that is the
            original form of the surname) and BUDAY.

            My research is spotty at best due to the lack of time I have for it.
            Though; I see in the archived posts a wealth of information that
            should help me along my way.
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
              >>> Jakubany/Nova Lubovna area, and BUCHSTABIRER from Kaposztafalu
              (Hrabusice) <<<

              Check out http://www.geocities.com/jakubanyrecords/
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2006
                >>> My research is spotty at best due to the lack of time I have for
                it. <<<

                What is the major issue you face at the moment that we might help with?
              • cathskap
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 8, 2006
                  Hi,

                  I think "Skapura" is fairly close to an original spelling. I have a
                  Skapura family Bible where they recorded births and marriages. The
                  names are written using the Cyrillic alphabet (Russian), and the
                  sounds would transliterate into: Shkapoora

                  Catherine (wife of a Skapura whose family came from Jakubany)

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "magnumaid" <magnumaid@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > I'm a new member and taking a moment to say hello to the group.
                  >
                  > The family names I'm researching are, RIDILLA from Saris County,
                  > LAMPART from Jakubany/Nova Lubovna area, and BUCHSTABIRER from
                  > Kaposztafalu (Hrabusice). Also SKAPURA (though I doubt that is the
                  > original form of the surname) and BUDAY.
                  >
                  > My research is spotty at best due to the lack of time I have for
                  it.
                  > Though; I see in the archived posts a wealth of information that
                  > should help me along my way.

                • ingenieurjansko
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 11, 2006
                    hello magnumaid
                    The name BUCHSTABIRER is an german name and means a person who spells
                    a word letter by letter - it could be written also BUCHSTABIERER.
                    It could be a jewisch name. Today there are living no persons with
                    this name in AUSTRIA (WWW.herold.at - telefon book for AUSTRIA).
                    greetings Richard

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "magnumaid" <magnumaid@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I'm a new member and taking a moment to say hello to the group.
                    >
                    > The family names I'm researching are, RIDILLA from Saris County,
                    > LAMPART from Jakubany/Nova Lubovna area, and BUCHSTABIRER from
                    > Kaposztafalu (Hrabusice). Also SKAPURA (though I doubt that is the
                    > original form of the surname) and BUDAY.
                    >
                    > My research is spotty at best due to the lack of time I have for it.
                    > Though; I see in the archived posts a wealth of information that
                    > should help me along my way.

                  • Tms0159
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 30, 2011
                      Hi,
                      I joined the group a few months ago. My name is Theresa. My maiden name is prokopovich. My grandmothers maiden name is halek. My grandmother was born in Czechoslovakia. I wish everyone a happy new year.

                      Sent from my Kindle Fire

                    • david1law@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 30, 2011
                        Dear Theresa:

                        Welcome to the group! One critical piece of information that will help
                        you immensely in your research, as well as be able to help others help you
                        along the way, are the villages of origin for your ancestors. Do you know
                        where your grandmother was born or lived in Czechoslovakia? If not, there
                        are other resources, such as the Ellis Island database and/or other records in
                        the U.S., that may also be able to help. Please feel free and do not
                        hesitate to ask questions or ask for help in pointing you in the right
                        direction, as we have all been in your shoes at one time or another, and please
                        also feel free to share information, insights, etc. that you have learned
                        along the way. We are all here to help each other. In addition, if you are
                        have not already visited Bill Tarkulich's Slovakia & Environs Genealogical
                        Research Strategies website at _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) , I
                        highly recommend it as his database and links have been an immense help to me
                        and have been a great springboard for my research.

                        I also wish you and everyone else in our forum a Happy, Healthy,
                        Prosperous, and Great New Year!

                        Best regards,

                        David

                        In a message dated 12/30/2011 10:31:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        tms0159@... writes:

                        Hi,
                        I joined the group a few months ago. My name is Theresa. My maiden name is
                        prokopovich. My grandmothers maiden name is halek. My grandmother was born
                        in Czechoslovakia. I wish everyone a happy new year.

                        Sent from my Kindle Fire

                      • Michael Mojher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 30, 2011
                          Theresa,
                          Do you have a specific question?
                          Having your grandmother born in Czechoslovakia is cause to join this group. But gives no clue to where she was from. Do you have that information.
                          As for the surname Halek, this is what the 1995 Slovak Census had. As you see there are three spellings of the name. There were a total of 32 listings in 11 locations. Which makes Halek a rare name. Notice there are two sets of locations for the surname. In eastern Slovakia in the “okr.”/ districts of Bardejov and Svidnik. They are next door to each other. In western Slovakia you have the orkes of Zilina, Prievidza and Bratislava.

                          Priezvisko HALÉK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 1×, celkový počet lokalít: 1, v lokalitách:
                          KALNIŠTE, okr. BARDEJOV (od r. 1996 SVIDNÍK) – 1×;

                          Priezvisko HÁLEK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 11×, celkový počet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách:
                          BITAROVÁ, okr. ŽILINA – 6×;
                          DOLNÝ HRIČOV, okr. ŽILINA – 2×;
                          NEDOŽERY (obec NEDOŽERY-BREZANY), okr. PRIEVIDZA – 1×;
                          NITRIANSKE PRAVNO, okr. PRIEVIDZA – 1×;
                          NOVÉ MESTO (obec BRATISLAVA), okr. BRATISLAVA – 1×;

                          Priezvisko HALEK sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 20×, celkový počet lokalít: 5, v lokalitách:
                          LASCOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 9×;
                          KALNIŠTE, okr. BARDEJOV (od r. 1996 SVIDNÍK) – 6×;
                          GIRALTOVCE, okr. BARDEJOV (od r. 1996 SVIDNÍK) – 3×;
                          BITAROVÁ, okr. ŽILINA – 1×;
                          NIŽNÉ RASLAVICE (obec RASLAVICE), okr. BARDEJOV – 1×;

                          Prokopovich was not in the Slovak Census, but this was. Interesting to find all of the orkes are same or neighboring your Halek orkes. Which would seem to indicate your roots could be in eastern Slovakia.
                          Priezvisko PROKOPOVIČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 156×, celkový počet lokalít: 39, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:
                          BARDEJOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 37×;
                          STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 18×;
                          KĽUŠOV, okr. BARDEJOV – 10×;
                          JANOVCE, okr. BARDEJOV – 9×;
                          STAŠKOVCE, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 6×;
                          VEĽKÝ RUSKOV (obec NOVÝ RUSKOV), okr. TREBIŠOV – 6×;
                          HUMENNÉ, okr. HUMENNÉ – 5×;
                          ŽILINA, okr. ŽILINA – 4×;
                          PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 4×;
                          RAJEC, okr. ŽILINA – 4×;
                          I joined the group a few months ago. My name is Theresa. My maiden name is prokopovich. My grandmothers maiden name is halek. My grandmother was born in Czechoslovakia. I wish everyone a happy new year.

                          Sent from my Kindle Fire

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 30, 2011
                            Hi Theresa -

                            i have 4 listings for Prokopovich in the Slovak Pride data base - there are in Saris villages and one in in Uzhhorod now Ukraine. E mail me directly if you would like more info to contact the listers.

                            helene
                            helenezx@...