SS5 fee increase! July 1, 2001

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2001
      I heard this today, and didn't believe it.. but it's
      true...http://www.ssa.gov/foia/foia_fuide.htm#_Toc517745431

      The Social Security Administration is increasing fees as of _July 1,
      2001_ (this Sunday) dramatically.

      New fees will be

      $27 for a copy of the original SS5 form if you provide SS# (up from $7 -
      they say it's because they haven't raised rates since 1988... but I'd
      bet the boom in genealogy has something to do with it, my opinion only)

      $29 if you don't provide the SS#

      and there is a provision for a $16 fee if you get a computer generated
      abstract of the application.

      Well, guess this means that if you postmark it by Saturday, June 30 you
      may be able to get it in at the old rates? Since I have some I was going
      to ask for and had been putting it off, I will be sending off for a few
      by Saturday.... I'll also have to update my info on this on my Helpful
      Hints page.

      Remember you can access the SSDI on http://www.ancestry.com

      Feel free to spread the news on this.. but *please do not forward this
      message to anyone else or any other lists*. Reword it, or just send the
      url of that notice of new fees.

      Maura

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
    • Eric Haas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2001

        mwn> I heard this today, and didn't believe it.. but it's
        mwn> true...http://www.ssa.gov/foia/foia_fuide.htm#_Toc517745431

        mwn> The Social Security Administration is increasing fees as of _July 1,
        mwn> 2001_ (this Sunday) dramatically.

        mwn> New fees will be

        mwn> $27 for a copy of the original SS5 form if you provide SS# (up from $7 -
        mwn> they say it's because they haven't raised rates since 1988... but I'd
        mwn> bet the boom in genealogy has something to do with it, my opinion only)

        That's the equivalent of roughly an 11% increase per year.

        Researching: APPEL, BOROWSKI, CERNOHORSKY, DEMBOWCZYK, HAAS, JUBB, PIETROWIAK, ZARAS