Re: [S-R] Ellis Island Dictionary

  • Marianne Petruska
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2001
      Thanks, Maureen! I was wondering if someone would do & list what you did. I've
      got a couple more to add to that.

      And like you, I've found that you have to think how many other possible ways a
      name could have been "heard" by the person writing down the info. A relative of
      one of my cousins was found accidentally, but because she was listed on that
      same page with a relative for whom I was searching, I found her too: Surname
      spelled starting w/ "P" when it actually starts w/ "K", and another member of
      that same family was found w/ the surname spelled starting w/ "G" instead of
      "K".

      Thinking in terms of how many times your own name has been misspelled by someone
      who didn't hear it correctly. Or thinking of "rhymes with" & "sounds like"
      (your own version of Soundex!) may be a big help in locating records of
      ancestors arrivals. We may be able to understand the accents of our ancestors
      (from either having heard them or from the fact that our parents had the same
      speech patterns, even without accents), but if the person writing out the
      manifest was someone who did not speak or understand the language or the accent,
      the possibilities for misspellings are endless.

      Marianne