Ellis Island Dictionary

  • Maureen Pulignano
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2001
      These are just a few of the common mis-written and mis-transcribed
      entries I have found in the Ellis Island database:

      a = o
      b = l
      b = h
      c = e
      d = l
      d = h
      f = h
      f = l
      g = z
      i = e
      j = g
      k = b
      k = h
      k = r (caps only)
      m = n
      m = w
      n = r
      o = u
      p = f
      q = f
      r = v
      s = i
      t = l
      u = v
      v = w

      To effectively search this data base, I have found it necessary to think
      in terms of all the various forms of cursive script and how they may be
      interpreted by the transcriber. The ones I have listed here represent
      some of the ones I have found searching for my families. I'm sure there
      are likely others you will find.

      Now, this does not even take into account such things as Maria v. Mary
      or George v. Gyorgy (as with my grandparents). My name, Maureen, is the
      Irish diminutive of Mary -- but, to my new-found second cousin near
      Uzhhorod, I am Marienka.

      Nor does it take into account the various forms that the same surname
      may have taken in various time periods -- such as the "Magyarization" of
      many Slovak names under Hungarian rule. For instance, my grandmother's
      maiden name, Chvostal, may be Chvostaly, Chvosztaly, Hvostaly,
      Hvosztaly, Hvostal, etc.

      And, for the new researchers, I'd like to point out that after
      immigration the name was changed to Hoskin and that was the name the
      entire family thought was my grandmother's maiden name -- until I
      started gathering the birth and Baptismal records of my father and his
      13 siblings. There really is no substitute for starting with yourself
      and working backward in time, documenting each generation as fully as
      possible. As you gain more information from each record obtained, you
      will be better prepared to move on to the preceding generation.

      I hope this helps some of the new members of the list.
      Maureen