SILHAVY, DOMINA, JANKOVICH, MAZALIK, NECHASEK, GIRGASH

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 1999
      The surnames and locations I personally am searching are as follows....

      In the modern day Czech Republic

      SILHAVY
      parents Josef SILHAVY and Anna DOMINA had son Leopold SILHAVY in Pohor,
      Bohemia on 10 Nov 1853. Josef and later Leopold were head foresters on
      the estates of Count Bela Hadik throughout the former Austria-Hungary
      I need to have more work done on this family through the Czech Archives
      as their records are not microfilmed by the LDS.

      Leopold married Matilda JANKOVICH (born 29 Oct 1861 in Sabinov to
      Alexander JANKOVICH and Maria MAZALIK) at the estate of Count Hadik in
      Tovarne 25 July 1880. Matilda had been the lady in waiting to Countess
      Ilma Hadik, and she was a bridesmaid at the wedding. The Count, Countess
      and various children were godparents to all the children of Leopold and
      Matilda.

      Leopold died in Sabinov 31 May 1900. In 1903 Matilda and 4 of the 6
      surving children emigrated to the US, first to Sheppton Pennsylvania
      (where Matilda's sister Anna had emigrated in 1895, being sent to the US
      to marry Edward NECHASEK who was from Sabinov), and then moving to
      Bridgeport Connecticut in 1904 where she worked as a seamstress to
      support her children.

      Through family still in the Sabinov area and microfilmed Catholic Church
      records I have the Jankovich-Mazalik lines back into the late 1700's so
      far. The family was very active in the area, with Maria Mazalik's
      brother August being the Head Priest at St. John the Baptist Catholic
      Church, so the records are even in his handwriting!

      Related names are GIRGASH, GREGA, and NECHASEK. These are all families
      the girls of Alexander and Maria Jankovich married into.

      I am interested in the surname SILHAVY anytime and anywhere. It is said
      that Leopold's father Josef had 7 brothers, one of whom emigrated to the
      US earlier and fought in the Civil War. I have not been able to prove
      this, but have found another SILHAVY branch in Connecticut who somehow
      had a photo of Leopold's grave sent to them by family members in the
      "old country", so there's some connection somehow.

      So this is who I am searching. I have tracked them in the US thoroughly,
      and am now working on records in the "old country", and connecting the
      SILHAVY lines in the US.

      Maura
      sabinov@...