Re: New to the list

  • sabinov@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 26, 1999
      Good to have you join us Greg!

      I hope you will send those url's frequently to remind people to go to
      your excellent websites.
      I've used them myself often.....

      Maura

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Debbie Maxwell
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2001
        Hello All,
        This is my first post to this list, so I thought I'd say Hello and post the surnames and villages I'm researching and if anyone is researching any of the same names or the same villages, please contact me and we can share information.

        I am doing research in the following villages; Banske, Stakcin, Oroszruska or Ruske, and Osadne; all villages are located in Zemplen County, Slovakia.

        Researching Surnames: RUSINKO, PETLAK, KAPRAL, HUSZARCSIK (HUSARCIK OR HUSARCHIK), CZORANITS, CHOMA, JURKO (YURKO ); UCHAL, NYEMCSIK (NEMCIK), LITVAN, KOCHAN, SZLABODUCH (SLABODUCH or SLABODA), KOSTELNIK, CEREMSAK; JURCO (YURCHO), MATYI (MATI), HUDAK, MITRO, MITRISIN, CSESZLOV

        From Osadne - surnames Rusinko, possibly Petlak; From Stakcin - surname Kapral; From Oroszruska also known as Ruske - surnames Huszarcsik, Czoranits, Choma; I have done extensive research in Banske. From Banske - surnames Uchal (also spelled as Uchaly and Uchalik), Nyemcsik (also spelled Nemcik), Litvan, Kochan, Szlaboduch or Slaboduch (Americanized spelling Slaboda), Kostelnik, Ceremsak, Jurco (Americanized spelling Yurcho), Matyi or Mati, Hudak, Mitro, Mitrisin, Cseszlov. For Jurko (Americanized spelling Yurko) I have no village yet.

        Debbie Rusinko Maxwell

      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Debbie Maxwell" <debmax@o...> wrote:
          > Hello All,
          > This is my first post to this list, so I thought I'd say Hello and
          post the surnames and villages I'm researching and if anyone is
          researching any of the same names or the same villages, please contact
          me and we can share information.

          > I am doing research in the following villages; Banske, Stakcin,
          Oroszruska or Ruske, and Osadne; all villages are located in Zemplen
          County, Slovakia.

          > Researching Surnames: RUSINKO, PETLAK, KAPRAL, HUSZARCSIK (HUSARCIK
          OR HUSARCHIK), CZORANITS, CHOMA, JURKO (YURKO ); UCHAL, NYEMCSIK
          (NEMCIK), LITVAN, KOCHAN, SZLABODUCH (SLABODUCH or SLABODA),
          KOSTELNIK, CEREMSAK; JURCO (YURCHO), MATYI (MATI), HUDAK, MITRO,
          MITRISIN, CSESZLOV

          > From Osadne - surnames Rusinko, possibly Petlak; From Stakcin -
          surname Kapral; From Oroszruska also known as Ruske - surnames
          Huszarcsik, Czoranits, Choma; I have done extensive research in
          Banske. From Banske - surnames Uchal (also spelled as Uchaly and
          Uchalik), Nyemcsik (also spelled Nemcik), Litvan, Kochan, Szlaboduch
          or Slaboduch (Americanized spelling Slaboda), Kostelnik, Ceremsak,
          Jurco (Americanized spelling Yurcho), Matyi or Mati, Hudak, Mitro,
          Mitrisin, Cseszlov. For Jurko (Americanized spelling Yurko) I have no
          village yet.

          > Debbie Rusinko Maxwell

          Don't know your surnames.

          The LDS-Mormons have filmed the parish church records for :

          Osadné (Telepóc)
          G.C. (1735-1944)

          Stakc^in (Takcsány)
          G.C. (1812-1896)

          Ruské (Ruszka) (Oroszruska)
          G.C. (1825-1879)

          Banské (Bányapataka)
          G.C. (1817-1943)

          Hungarian English
          rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
          ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
          izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

          Since the village church records were all görög katholikus,
          perhaps Rusinko and others were Carpatho-Rusyn surname bearers ?

          Frank Kurcina
        • Dale Karaff
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 30, 2001
            Dear Debbie,
            I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in Banske.
            My great great great grandfather had the name Mitrisin (majtryszyn),
            Michael. This is the name reported on the death certificate with a
            middle name of Karif written in the middle of the first and last
            name, sort of an after thought. It has been told that his father, a
            Mitrisin, died and his mother remarried a Karaff. He then adopted
            the Karaff surname and all his progeny have that name. He had a son,
            George (b 1 Jan, 1846) and he married a Mary Schultz(b. 1855). They
            had two children, my grandfather, Michael and a daughter named Anna.
            They all immigrated to the US and settled in southcentral Iowa. My
            grandfather, Michael married Mary Sisak from the village of Juskova
            Vola', SK and it was reported that grandfather Michael was from
            Vechec, just up the road. I have been unable to locate any
            Mitrisin's or Karaff's from there. We did locate a Mitrisin grave in
            Banske and also another S'ulc grave there in Banske. We have not had
            any luck in researching my grandfathers sites. I also don't know how
            they would have recorded the adoption of ggg grandfather, Michael.
            If at all. I am sure there would have been birth, death and marriage
            records of the events, but I have not ordered the microfilm for the
            Banske area.
            I have the seen the LDS microfilm on Juskova Vola' and Vechec, but
            have not seen any records except for my grandmother's people, the
            Sisak's.
            I would appreciate any help you may have on the Mitrisin, Karaff
            surnames.
            Thank you
            Dale Karaff
            dkaraff@...

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Debbie Maxwell" <debmax@o...> wrote:
            > Hello All,
            > This is my first post to this list, so I thought I'd say Hello and
            post the surnames and villages I'm researching and if anyone is
            researching any of the same names or the same villages, please
            contact me and we can share information.

            > I am doing research in the following villages; Banske, Stakcin,
            Oroszruska or Ruske, and Osadne; all villages are located in Zemplen
            County, Slovakia.

            > Researching Surnames: RUSINKO, PETLAK, KAPRAL, HUSZARCSIK (HUSARCIK
            OR HUSARCHIK), CZORANITS, CHOMA, JURKO (YURKO ); UCHAL, NYEMCSIK
            (NEMCIK), LITVAN, KOCHAN, SZLABODUCH (SLABODUCH or SLABODA),
            KOSTELNIK, CEREMSAK; JURCO (YURCHO), MATYI (MATI), HUDAK, MITRO,
            MITRISIN, CSESZLOV

            > From Osadne - surnames Rusinko, possibly Petlak; From Stakcin -
            surname Kapral; From Oroszruska also known as Ruske - surnames
            Huszarcsik, Czoranits, Choma; I have done extensive research in
            Banske. From Banske - surnames Uchal (also spelled as Uchaly and
            Uchalik), Nyemcsik (also spelled Nemcik), Litvan, Kochan, Szlaboduch
            or Slaboduch (Americanized spelling Slaboda), Kostelnik, Ceremsak,
            Jurco (Americanized spelling Yurcho), Matyi or Mati, Hudak, Mitro,
            Mitrisin, Cseszlov. For Jurko (Americanized spelling Yurko) I have no
            village yet.

            > Debbie Rusinko Maxwell

          • John
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 30, 2001
              At 05:37 PM 4/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
              >Dear Debbie,
              >I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in Banske.

              Dušan Mitrišin
              110, Banské
              0931/4490171

              Ján Mitrišin
              292, Banské
              0931/4490608

              John
            • Debbie Maxwell
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 30, 2001
                Dear John,
                Where are you located? My mother grew up in Banske, her name is Anna Uchal,
                I know her cousin was a Mitrisin and a 3rd great grandmother of mine is
                Maria Mitrisin, born around 1808. What are your other surnames for Banske?
                What information do you have on the Banske Mitrisins. Have you looked at the
                Banske birth, death and marriage records? I know there are a lot of
                Mitrisins in the records. Looking forward to hearing from you.
                Debbie

                > >I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in Banske.
                >
                > Dusan Mitrisin
                > 110, Banské
                > 0931/4490171
                >
                > Ján Mitrisin
                > 292, Banské
                > 0931/4490608
                >
                > John

              • John
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 30, 2001
                  At 07:58 PM 4/30/01 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Dear John,
                  >Where are you located? My mother grew up in Banske, her name is Anna Uchal,
                  >I know her cousin was a Mitrisin and a 3rd great grandmother of mine is
                  >Maria Mitrisin, born around 1808. What are your other surnames for Banske?
                  >What information do you have on the Banske Mitrisins. Have you looked at the
                  >Banske birth, death and marriage records? I know there are a lot of
                  >Mitrisins in the records. Looking forward to hearing from you.
                  >Debbie

                  Sorry for having possibly mislead you but I was in a hurry and didn't
                  include the source of the information, which was the online Slovak phone
                  book. http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html
                  I just checked and found 5 Ucha'l' listings for Banske' in the phone
                  book. My parent's villages were in the Bardejov area so I haven't
                  researched any of the Banske' church registers.

                  John
                • frankur@att.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 2, 2001
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Dale Karaff" <dkaraff@i...> wrote:
                    > Dear Debbie,
                    > I am trying to make a connection to the Mitrisin surname in Banske.

                    > My great great great grandfather had the name Mitrisin (majtryszyn),
                    > Michael. This is the name reported on the death certificate with a
                    > middle name of Karif written in the middle of the first and last
                    > name, sort of an after thought. It has been told that his father, a
                    > Mitrisin, died and his mother remarried a Karaff. He then adopted
                    > the Karaff surname and all his progeny have that name. He had a
                    son,
                    > George (b 1 Jan, 1846) and he married a Mary Schultz(b. 1855). They
                    > had two children, my grandfather, Michael and a daughter named Anna.

                    > They all immigrated to the US and settled in southcentral Iowa. My
                    > grandfather, Michael married Mary Sisak from the village of Juskova
                    > Vola', SK and it was reported that grandfather Michael was from
                    > Vechec, just up the road. I have been unable to locate any
                    > Mitrisin's or Karaff's from there. We did locate a Mitrisin grave
                    in
                    > Banske and also another S'ulc grave there in Banske. We have not
                    had
                    > any luck in researching my grandfathers sites. I also don't know
                    how
                    > they would have recorded the adoption of ggg grandfather, Michael.
                    > If at all. I am sure there would have been birth, death and
                    marriage
                    > records of the events, but I have not ordered the microfilm for the
                    > Banske area.
                    > I have the seen the LDS microfilm on Juskova Vola' and Vechec, but
                    > have not seen any records except for my grandmother's people, the
                    > Sisak's.
                    > I would appreciate any help you may have on the Mitrisin, Karaff
                    > surnames.
                    > Thank you
                    > Dale Karaff

                    Don't know your surnames.

                    Vechec (Sv) Vehéc (H) is located in the Vranov nad Topl'ou area.
                    You read the LDS microfilms for R.C. records (1789-1899) for
                    Juskova Vol'a and Vechec ?
                    Vechec has 2 churches.

                    Would expect the surname was listed under the grécko-katolícka
                    records.

                    The LDS filmed the G.C. parish church records (1831-1895) for
                    C^emerné, Slovakia, formerly Csemernye, Zemplén, Hungary (also called
                    Varannó-Csemernye).
                    Includes Juskova Vol'a, Slovakia, formerly Juszkó-Volya, Zemplén
                    Megye, Hungary; Vranov, Slovakia, formerly Varannó, Zemplén Megye,
                    Hungary and Vechec, Slovakia, formerly Vehécz, Zemplén Megye, Hungary.
                    Text in Hungarian, Latin and Ruthenian.
                    film #
                    1792039
                    1792020

                    http://www.gates96.com/cam/europe/Slovakia/Vechec/index.html?cam0.html

                    Frank Kurcina
                  • ccaswick@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 11 7:59 AM
                      I am related to the Mitro family of Cleveland Ohio and also have
                      heard of the Cleveland Hudak family.

                    • ccaswick@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 11 8:02 AM
                        I am an ancestor of the Slovak Mitro family which settled in
                        Cleveland, Ohio -- I have also heard of the Hudak family, also of
                        Cleveland.

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 11 8:43 AM
                          At 02:59 PM 7/11/01 +0000, you wrote:
                          > > records of the events, but I have not ordered the microfilm for the
                          > > Banske area.

                          There are two Mitris^in listed for Banske:

                          Dušan Mitrišin
                          110, Banské
                          057/4490171

                          Ján Mitrišin
                          292, Banské
                          057/4490608

                          John
                        • boblorna1@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 30, 2003
                            Hi,

                            I recently joined this list in hopes of finding information on the surname,
                            (many spelling variations) RANCZUCH, REINZUCH, RANCUCH, RANSUCH and RANCUK.
                            I have not yet found the origin of this name. My family is from the Lomza
                            area, Sensburg area and possibly the Plock area. Also searching STRAUSS, RYBKA,
                            and BAST.

                            Lorna Fromknecht

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 30, 2003
                              Lorna,

                              I have two friends, surnames RUNC'AK (roon-chak) and RUSIC' (roo-sich)
                              from the my ancestral Villages of Nova Sedlica (Ujsek) and Zboj
                              (Harczos) in extreme northeast Slovakia. These villages are on the
                              Poland-Ukraine borders. Remarkably, they are seeking their families in
                              America. We are having a heck of a time finding them in the States -
                              the name appears to have been altered dramtically. It is easier to find
                              someone in Slovakia than in America! RUNCAK initially immigrated to
                              Scranton/Dunmore 1904-06 and stayed with my relatives.

                              Does any of this sound familiar? What years did your immigrants arrive?
                              To where? Have you searched www.ellisisland.org for them?

                              Bill Tarkulich

                              I recently joined this list in hopes of finding information on the
                              surname,
                              (many spelling variations) RANCZUCH, REINZUCH, RANCUCH, RANSUCH and
                              RANCUK. I have not yet found the origin of this name. My family is from
                              the Lomza
                              area, Sensburg area and possibly the Plock area. Also searching
                              STRAUSS, RYBKA,
                              and BAST.

                              Lorna Fromknecht

                              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to