Re: Locating Pohin/Puhin, Bohemia

  • David Little
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 26, 2001
      I had found that record at the Ellis Island site. She is a little
      young for the sister of my wife's great grandmother. She was also
      traveling with a sister named Mary, Mary's husband Joseph Zalusky and
      Mary's daughter Violetta. The Zalusky's had originally immigrated in
      1913 and settled in Chicago. this Julia gave her next-of-kin as her
      grandmother Jakub Vlasata, Novosed No. 10, Pisek. I don't think she
      is my wife's 2nd great aunt but I can't help but think that there is
      a connection. Is Vlasata that common a name? especially in a town the
      size of Putim.

      I did some digging yesterday in the 1900 census for Chicago and found
      a couple things. Marie Vlasata Stybr lists her year of immigration as
      1890. I found her sister Sophia Vlasata L'hotka also in Chicago in
      1900 and she lists her year of immigration as 1890 too. I haven't
      found sisters Ella Vlasata Stringham or Julie Vlasata Marquardt yet
      but I'm guessing they all came together. I have Leo Baca's book on
      Czech passenger lists for this period into New York but can't find
      the Vlasata's. Maybe they came through another port. I have just
      assumed that they came through New York to go to Chicago but perhaps
      they came through Baltimore or Philadephia. Guess it's back to the
      Archives!

      David