Re:Help with Surname

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., SantiDClaireS@a... wrote:
      > Hi, My name is Dorothy Santi, I have been lurking for a couple of
      weeks now
      > and decided that I would put my query to the list. My grandparents
      were the
      > immigrant ancestors. My father was born in PA as were all his
      siblings but
      > one. I have been told more than once that Santi is not a Slovak name
      and I
      > believe it because all the research I do comes up 99.9 % Italian ( a
      couple
      > Hispanic). Nothing against either group <BG> but I'm looking for
      Slovaks. My
      > father always insisted that was his background. I confirmed it last
      night on
      > the 1910 census (someone on the list mentioned that census as the
      first to
      > list Austria-Hungarian immigrants by their true ethnicity) Sure
      enough, 1900
      > list my grandfather Mike Santi as Hungarian, 1910 the enumerator
      first wrote
      > Austria-Hungary then wrote over it in larger letters Slovak. Now my
      question
      > is: What was the name originally? Haven't found out yet what port
      they
      > arrived at and until last night thought they arrived in 1884.
      However, 1910
      > census lists 1883 for Grandfather and what looks like 1880 for
      Grandmother. I
      > don't think that is right though, they had a son (also called Mike)
      born in
      > 1882 in Austria-Hungary, he is the exception noted above. I also
      thought that
      > they all arrived together but now I am wondering if Daddy came first
      and
      > Momma and little Mike came later, maybe the 0 is a 6. If I can
      locate the son
      > on a census as an adult but I think he started calling him self
      Michael and
      > there are a bunch of those. Oh, Mike (1900 census) is listed as
      Mikle on
      > 1910, Mike (jr) is gone from home as are both daughters. My Dad
      always said
      > his mother's name was Elizabeth (even put it in my baby book that
      way) maiden
      > name Petruska but on 1900 census she is listed as Rosa but as
      Elizabeth on
      > 1910. I'm sure it's the right family and the right wife, the
      marriage years
      > add up. Any help or suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks Sandy

      Don't know your surnames.

      Santi or Di Santi would be an Italian surname.
      On occasion there were a few French or Italian surname bearers in
      Slovakia.
      That is not too bad.

      Sometimes the letters i/y were interchangeable in surnames.
      The surname Santa and Santo have also occurred in Slovakia censuses.
      Sánta, Sántha is a Hungarian surname.

      More Slavic surnames begin with the initial letter K than other
      letter.
      Italian has no letter K and uses the letter C instead.
      [letter 'c' (before e/i) is pron. as phonetic ch
      letter 'c' (before a/o/u) is pron. as phonetic k]

      Some Italians insist my own surname name is Cucina (koo-CHEE-na)
      meaning
      'kitchen, cuisine' in Italian, which it isn't and doesn't.
      About a month received some address mailing labels with my surname
      under
      crossed American and Italian flags, from the Sons of Italy Foundation.
      Wonder where they got my name ?

      Frank Kurcina