Info RE: Old Mailing Address

  • Marianne Petruska
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
      Question for anyone: What would a mailing address containing "Svidnik, Zupa
      Kosicka, Czech" mean? Is Svidnik part of Kosice or part of Saros, or were they
      once one big county?

      Marianne

      Researching (or helping research) the following surnames:
      Babjak/Babyak, Duna, Dzupin, Gibej, Havrilak/Haverlack, Hvest/Hvist,
      Ilkanich/Ilkanin, Koromlan, Kotulic[s], Petruska, Sefcik/Shevchik, Sopoliga,
      Terpak, Zaguyea/Szugya, Zajac/Zajak, and/or Zsurilla/Zurilla
    • Marianne Petruska
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
        John: Thanks for the input. I had asked about Saros Mete the other day & was
        told about it becoming county being "Z^upa", but it just seemed that Svidnik is
        quite a distance from Kosice. I know Jurko Vola was supposedly in Saros. I
        think that Svidnik's proximity to Jurko Vola would more likely put it also in
        Saros, rather than in Kosice. 'Tis a puzzlement!

        If someone else has more info re: Svidnik, please contact me.

        Marianne

        Researching the following surnames: Babjak/Babyak, Duna, , Ilkanich/Ilkanin,
        Koromlan, Kotulic[s], Petruska, Sefcik/Shevchik, Zaguyea/Szugya, and
        Zsurilla/Zurilla

        Helping cousins research these surnames: Dzupin, Gibej, Havrilak/Haverlack,
        Hvest/Hvist, Kotulic[s], Sopoliga, Terpak (possibly "Gerpak"?), and Zajac/Zajak.
      • Maureen Pulignano
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
          I thought that Kosice was in old Zemplin. I recently visited a Hungarian site that
          showed current Zemplin running up to the Slovak border and -- I think -- I have
          seen an old map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire with Zemplin encompassing Kosice.
          Does anyone have a map or the link to an old map? I'll try to retrace my route to
          the one I saw recently.
          Maureen

          John wrote:

          > At 02:09 PM 6/22/01 -0700, you wrote:
          > >John: Thanks for the input. I had asked about Saros Mete the other day & was
          > >told about it becoming county being "Z^upa", but it just seemed that
          > >Svidnik is
          > >quite a distance from Kosice. I know Jurko Vola was supposedly in Saros. I
          > >think that Svidnik's proximity to Jurko Vola would more likely put it also in
          > >Saros, rather than in Kosice. 'Tis a puzzlement!
          > >
          > >If someone else has more info re: Svidnik, please contact me.
          > >
          > >Marianne
          >
          > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg
          >
          > Based on this map, Svidnik was in Saros in 1910.
          >
          > I agree with you on the distance factor from Kosice. It depends on how the
          > boundaries of the zupa were drawn. It would be interesting to see a map of
          > the Slovak counties. Anyone know when the "zupa" were formed. According
          > to Duncan Gardiner:
          >
          > Pre-1923 Slovak counties (Stolice or zupy) were:
          >
          > Bratislava [Presporok], Nitra, Trencin,Turiec, Orava, Liptov, Spis, Saris,
          > Zemplin, Uz, Abov-Turna, , Gemer-Malohont, Novohrad, Zvolen, Hont, Tekov,
          > Ostrihom, Komarno, Rab, Moson
          >
          > No mention of Kosice. Very confusing without references.
          >
          > John

        • Dr. Joe Quashnock
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
            Zupa - county, region, province / / / / in my small dictionary.

            However English to Slovak
            county = gro'fstvo or kraj
            region = oblast' or kraj
            province = provincia or oblast'

            Then for the next translation Slovak to English
            kraj = edge, border
            oblast' = area or region
            gro'fstvo = county
            provincia = province

            In my dictionary, I couldn't find an English word that gave "zupa" as the Slovak
            equivalent, but I didn't read every page.

            John wrote:

            > At 12:36 PM 6/22/01 -0700, you wrote:
            >
            > >Question for anyone: What would a mailing address containing "Svidnik, Zupa
            > >Kosicka, Czech" mean? Is Svidnik part of Kosice or part of Saros, or were they
            > >once one big county?
            >
            > I've checked the Hungarian and Slovak online dictionaries and can't define
            > "zupa" which I believe means something like county, district, region,
            > etc. It looks as if it might mean that Svidnik was in part of the ( Zupa)
            > of Kosice. Just a guess.
            >
            > John
          • John
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
              At 09:00 PM 6/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
              >I thought that Kosice was in old Zemplin. I recently visited a Hungarian
              >site that
              >showed current Zemplin running up to the Slovak border and -- I think -- I
              >have
              >seen an old map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire with Zemplin encompassing
              >Kosice.
              >Does anyone have a map or the link to an old map? I'll try to retrace my
              >route to
              >the one I saw recently.
              >Maureen

              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg

              John
            • John
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
                At 09:00 PM 6/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
                >I thought that Kosice was in old Zemplin. I recently visited a Hungarian
                >site that
                >showed current Zemplin running up to the Slovak border and -- I think -- I
                >have
                >seen an old map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire with Zemplin encompassing
                >Kosice.
                >Does anyone have a map or the link to an old map? I'll try to retrace my
                >route to
                >the one I saw recently.
                >Maureen

                Kassa is in http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/abauj-t.jpg Abaúj-Torna.

                John
              • RMH
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
                  "Kassa" is the Hungarian name for "Kosice"? And what "zupa" is it in today,
                  please?

                  Regina Rabatin Haring
                  Nanuet, NY
                  http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
                    John,
                    I just looked at it -- now, I am totally confused. I don't see Kosice anywhere
                    -- of course, I don't know what it was called in 1910.

                    The map index link is worth bookmarking

                    Osztr�k-Magyar Monarchia varmegyei (1910)

                    but, only if you will help us with the old names.
                    Thanks,
                    Maureen

                    John wrote:

                    > At 09:00 PM 6/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
                    > >I thought that Kosice was in old Zemplin. I recently visited a Hungarian
                    > >site that
                    > >showed current Zemplin running up to the Slovak border and -- I think -- I
                    > >have
                    > >seen an old map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire with Zemplin encompassing
                    > >Kosice.
                    > >Does anyone have a map or the link to an old map? I'll try to retrace my
                    > >route to
                    > >the one I saw recently.
                    > >Maureen
                    >
                    > http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg
                    >
                    > John

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001

                      From: http://feefhs.org/frl/czs/dg-skarc.html

                      "Latest Update: 20 April 1998

                      Slovak Regions (kraj) and Counties (okres)
                      as of summer 1996 (minus diacritics)

                      Bratislava - The City of Bratislava and Environs Western Slovak Region
                      (zapadoslovensk kraj)
                      Bratislava-vidiek
                      Senica
                      Trnava
                      Galanta
                      Dunajska Streda
                      Trencin
                      Topol'cany
                      Nitra
                      Nove Zamky
                      Komarno
                      Levice

                      Central Slovak Region (stredoslovensky kraj)
                      Povazska Bystrica
                      Prievidza
                      Ziar n. Hronom
                      Zvolen
                      Velky Krtis
                      Zilina
                      Cadca
                      Martin
                      Banska Bystrica
                      Lucenec
                      Dolny Kubin
                      Liptovsky Mikulas
                      Rimvaska Sobota

                      Eastern Slovak Region (vychodoslovensky kraj)
                      Poprad
                      Roznava
                      Stara Lubovna
                      Spisska Nova
                      Ves
                      Kosice
                      Kosice-vidiek
                      Presov
                      Bardejov
                      Svidnik
                      Vranov n. Topl'ou
                      Trebisov
                      Humenne
                      Michalovce"

                      John
                    • John
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
                        At 08:47 PM 6/22/01 -0600, you wrote:
                        >At 10:13 PM 6/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
                        > >"Kassa" is the Hungarian name for "Kosice"? And what "zupa" is it in today,
                        > >please?
                        > >
                        > >Regina Rabatin Haring

                        My last post was out of date. The country is now divided into 8 kraj and I
                        believe 73 okres. I had to dig for this one but I finally found a map of
                        Slovakia that shows the 8 kraj. The map is clickable. When you click on
                        the kraj, it provides you with a map of the okres in the kraj. click again
                        and you get some of the cities or towns in the kraj.

                        http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/sk(.html#map

                        John
                      • John
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
                          At 08:47 PM 6/22/01 -0600, you wrote:

                          The URL did not come through correctly to me so I thought it was best to
                          send again:

                          http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/sk(.html#map

                          .......the kraj, it provides you with a map of the okres in the
                          kraj. Click again and you get some of the cities or towns in the (should
                          be okres) kraj.

                          John

                        • John
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
                            At 08:47 PM 6/22/01 -0600, you wrote:

                            This page lists all the kraj and okres in Slovakia:

                            http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/sk-mun.html#Flagchart

                            John

                          • frankur@att.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 22, 2001
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Marianne Petruska" <Marianne_Petruska@g...>
                              wrote:

                              > John: Thanks for the input. I had asked about Saros Mete the other
                              day & was
                              > told about it becoming county being "Z^upa", but it just seemed that
                              Svidnik is
                              > quite a distance from Kosice. I know Jurko Vola was supposedly in
                              Saros. I
                              > think that Svidnik's proximity to Jurko Vola would more likely put
                              it also in
                              > Saros, rather than in Kosice. 'Tis a puzzlement!
                              >
                              > If someone else has more info re: Svidnik, please contact me.
                              >
                              > Marianne
                              >
                              > Researching the following surnames: Babjak/Babyak, Duna, ,
                              Ilkanich/Ilkanin,
                              > Koromlan, Kotulic[s], Petruska, Sefcik/Shevchik, Zaguyea/Szugya,
                              and
                              > Zsurilla/Zurilla
                              >
                              > Helping cousins research these surnames: Dzupin, Gibej,
                              Havrilak/Haverlack,
                              > Hvest/Hvist, Kotulic[s], Sopoliga, Terpak (possibly "Gerpak"?), and
                              Zajac/Zajak.

                              Marianne

                              Svidník (Sk) Felso"vizköz (H) was formerly located in Hungarian Sáros
                              Megye (county)

                              Jurkova Vol'a (Sv) Györgyfölde (H) meaning Gregory's estate, land, is
                              now located in okres (district) Svidník.
                              Formerly also located in Sáros Megye.

                              Jurkova Vol'a was a Ruthenian, Carpatho-Rusyn village as was
                              Svidník.
                              So some of your surnames were associated with the Greek Catholic
                              religion ?

                              Frank Kurcina
                            • Richard D. Custer
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 25, 2001
                                I have documents regarding my Rusyn ancestors from Svidnik region, and the
                                documents from the 1920s refer to their villages being in Kos~icka z~upa
                                even though they are adjacent to the Polish border. Apparently (from many
                                other similar docs I've seen from there, from the 1920s), Kos~icka z~upa
                                (Kos~ice county) covered most of eastern Slovakia at that time. It seems to
                                be only that very short period that it was so defined. Today Svidnik is its
                                own county/district (okres).

                                Rich Custer

                                >John: Thanks for the input. I had asked about Saros Mete the other day &
                                was
                                >told about it becoming county being "Z^upa", but it just seemed that
                                Svidnik is
                                >quite a distance from Kosice. I know Jurko Vola was supposedly in Saros. I
                                >think that Svidnik's proximity to Jurko Vola would more likely put it also
                                in
                                >Saros, rather than in Kosice. 'Tis a puzzlement!
                                >
                                >If someone else has more info re: Svidnik, please contact me.
                                >
                                >Marianne
                              • Richard D. Custer
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 25, 2001
                                  >I thought that Kosice was in old Zemplin. I recently visited a Hungarian
                                  site that
                                  >showed current Zemplin running up to the Slovak border and -- I think -- I
                                  have
                                  >seen an old map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire with Zemplin encompassing
                                  Kosice.
                                  >Does anyone have a map or the link to an old map? I'll try to retrace my
                                  route to
                                  >the one I saw recently.
                                  >Maureen

                                  The Map of Carpatho-Rusyn Settlement (a large-scale wall-size map) shows all
                                  of eastern Slovakia, indicating the boundaries of the pre-World War I
                                  counties (Gemer, Abauj, Szepes/Spis, Saros/Saris, Zemplen/Zemplin, Ung/Uz)
                                  and showing the villages with their present-day Slovak names.

                                  On the back of the map is a gazeteer with cross-references of old Hungarian
                                  names, Rusyn dialectal (native) names, and present-day Slovak names of all
                                  villages on the map. The map also covers the territory of southeast Poland,
                                  the Transcarpathian Oblast of Ukraine, northeast Hungary, and northwest
                                  Romania.

                                  On the map, for Slovakia, cities & major towns are marked, and all villages
                                  which had Rusyns living there and more than 20% of the village populace
                                  (which is actually the majority of eastern Slovakia's villages) are mapped.

                                  The Carpatho-Rusyn Society sells the map, www.carpathorusynsociety.org or
                                  you can try the Carpatho-Rusyn Research Center page,
                                  www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crrc as they publish & sell the map.

                                  Rich Custer
                                • John
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 25, 2001
                                    At 09:50 PM 6/25/01 -0400, you wrote:
                                    >I have documents regarding my Rusyn ancestors from Svidnik region, and the
                                    >documents from the 1920s refer to their villages being in Kos~icka z~upa
                                    >even though they are adjacent to the Polish border. Apparently (from many
                                    >other similar docs I've seen from there, from the 1920s), Kos~icka z~upa
                                    >(Kos~ice county) covered most of eastern Slovakia at that time. It seems to
                                    >be only that very short period that it was so defined. Today Svidnik is its
                                    >own county/district (okres).
                                    >
                                    >Rich Custer

                                    I wondered about the boundaries, for that matter the existence of a
                                    Kos^izka z^upa based on what Duncan Gardiner said about pre 1923
                                    z^upa. Any reference documents regarding z^upa during that period?

                                    John

                                    > >John: Thanks for the input. I had asked about Saros Mete the other day &
                                    >was
                                    > >told about it becoming county being "Z^upa", but it just seemed that
                                    >Svidnik is
                                    > >quite a distance from Kosice. I know Jurko Vola was supposedly in Saros. I
                                    > >think that Svidnik's proximity to Jurko Vola would more likely put it also
                                    >in
                                    > >Saros, rather than in Kosice. 'Tis a puzzlement!
                                    > >
                                    > >If someone else has more info re: Svidnik, please contact me.
                                    > >
                                    > >Marianne

                                  • John
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 25, 2001

                                      >The Carpatho-Rusyn Society sells the map, www.carpathorusynsociety.org or

                                      Looks like this site's just starting. I couldn't find any ordering
                                      information on the sales page but I like the background. That was my
                                      father's dreveny cerkov from Niklova. I had a chance to look in but not go
                                      in when I visited the Bardejovske Kupele skanzen where they moved it to in
                                      the 30's. I enjoyed your MP3 also. You might add the lyrics to make it a
                                      sing along experience (no bouncing ball though). I was singing that one
                                      way back in the 30's. The other address you gave seems to be out for a
                                      while for some reason.

                                      John

                                      >you can try the Carpatho-Rusyn Research Center page,
                                      >www.carpatho-rusyn.org/crrc as they publish & sell the map.
                                      >
                                      >Rich Custer

                                    • Richard D. Custer
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 29, 2001
                                        >>The Carpatho-Rusyn Society sells the map, www.carpathorusynsociety.org or
                                        >
                                        >Looks like this site's just starting. I couldn't find any ordering
                                        >information on the sales page but I like the background.

                                        It is a new site, although the Society is well into adolescence, having
                                        begun in 1994. No matter, join the society and you'll receive the full
                                        catalog of sales items in the mail (and a great newsletter too, edited by
                                        yours truly ;-) ).

                                        RDC
                                      • John
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 22, 2001