SANETRIK-MISKOVICH-KAPULKO

  • CMalone646@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2001
      I am trying to find any information on my son's family on his father's side.
      I am at a complete loss on where to search to find more information. Any
      help as to websites, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

      John SANETRIK, came to this county just a little over a 100 years ago on May
      25th, 1901. He left from Antwerp, Belgium on May 14, 1901, and arrived in
      the US at the port of New York. His brother, Stephen SANETRIK, lived in
      Scotsdale, Westmoreland Co, PA and sent John his ticket for passage to
      America, having purchased the ticket at Connellsville, Fayette Co, PA.

      According to Naturalization records he was born June 18, 1875, in Danisoce,
      Austria. The record did not give his father's name but gave his mother's
      maiden name as Catherine KAPULKO.

      He married Maria MISKOVICH on January 24, 1899. She was born April 24, 1875,
      at Stelbah, Austria. Her parents were Steven MISKOVICH & Maria VALKOSSAK or
      VALKOPAK. Someone told me that Stelbah, Austria in Slovak is called Tichy
      Potok and means Quiet Stream and was settled in the 1400's.

      This is what confuses me the most. What country is it now? The
      naturalization records state Austria-Hungry but family members say
      Czechoslovakia. Help please!

      The Sanetrik family lived in Western Pa and Monongalia County, West Virginia.
      After John SANETRIK's wife, Maria MISKOVICH, passed away it is said he went
      back to the "old country" and married her sister Catherine MISKOVICH. He
      died there (they think) March 4, 1940, as they received a picture of him in
      his coffin. Any suggestions on death records during that time? I'm not even
      sure where he was supposed to be at that time other than Austria.

      It is said that John SANETRIK had the following known brothers & sister:
      Martin, Michael, Maria and Steven. The only information I have is that his
      brother Martin SANETRIK married Maria HOYA. Martin was a coal miner and died
      in 1922 and his wife died March 18, 1924, and that they had a daughter named
      Mary who married a DELPETRO. I don't know where they lived.

      Any help at all will be most appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Cheryl Jackson Malone
    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., CMalone646@a... wrote:
        > I am trying to find any information on my son's family on his
        father's side.
        > I am at a complete loss on where to search to find more
        information.
        Any
        > help as to websites, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > John SANETRIK, came to this county just a little over a 100 years
        ago on May
        > 25th, 1901. He left from Antwerp, Belgium on May 14, 1901, and
        arrived in
        > the US at the port of New York. His brother, Stephen SANETRIK,
        lived in
        > Scotsdale, Westmoreland Co, PA and sent John his ticket for passage
        > America, having purchased the ticket at Connellsville, Fayette Co,
        PA.

        > According to Naturalization records he was born June 18, 1875, in
        Danisoce,
        > Austria. The record did not give his father's name but gave his
        mother's
        > maiden name as Catherine KAPULKO.
        >
        > He married Maria MISKOVICH on January 24, 1899. She was born April
        24, 1875,
        > at Stelbah, Austria. Her parents were Steven MISKOVICH & Maria
        VALKOSSAK or
        > VALKOPAK. Someone told me that Stelbah, Austria in Slovak is
        called
        Tichy
        > Potok and means Quiet Stream and was settled in the 1400's.
        >
        > This is what confuses me the most. What country is it now? The
        > naturalization records state Austria-Hungry but family members say
        > Czechoslovakia. Help please!
        >
        > The Sanetrik family lived in Western Pa and Monongalia County, West
        Virginia.
        > After John SANETRIK's wife, Maria MISKOVICH, passed away it is
        said
        he went
        > back to the "old country" and married her sister Catherine
        MISKOVICH. He
        > died there (they think) March 4, 1940, as they received a picture
        of
        him in
        > his coffin. Any suggestions on death records during that time?
        I'm
        not even
        > sure where he was supposed to be at that time other than Austria.
        >
        > It is said that John SANETRIK had the following known brothers &
        sister:
        > Martin, Michael, Maria and Steven. The only information I have is
        that his
        > brother Martin SANETRIK married Maria HOYA. Martin was a coal
        miner
        and died
        > in 1922 and his wife died March 18, 1924, and that they had a
        daughter named
        > Mary who married a DELPETRO. I don't know where they lived.
        >
        > Any help at all will be most appreciated.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Cheryl Jackson Malone

        Don't know your surnames.

        The surname Sanetrik has appeared in Slovakia.

        Fayette Co and Westmoreland Co located near Pittsburgh were major
        bituminous (soft) coal mining regions in SW PA.
        Especially Connellsville and Brownsville PA.
        There was almost a direct pipeline of emigrants from Slovakia to this
        coal mining region as well as to the anthracite (hard) coal mining
        region located in NE PA.

        You mean Danis^ovce (Sv) formerly Danisócz (H) (or Dénesfalva)
        and located just east of Odorin (Sv) Szepesedelény (H) on the Odorica
        potok (stream) in the Spis^ská Nová Ves (Sv) Igló (H) region of
        Slovakia.
        Before WW I located in old Hungarian Szepes Megye (county) which was
        later called Spis^ z^upa (county) in Slovak.

        Interesting region.
        Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
        Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
        centuries.

        Still means quiet in German.
        -bach means stream, brook, creek in German.

        Csendes means quiet in Hungarian.
        -patak means stream in Hungarian,

        Tichy' means quiet in Slovak.
        -potok means stream in Slovak.

        Tichy' Potok (Sv) Csendespatak (H) is located west of Brezovica nad
        Torysou (Sv) Berzevicze (H) on the Torysa potok (stream)
        It is just at the edge of the large Kez^marok Military Reservation.

        Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
        (10th century-1918) and part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy
        (1867-1918)
        It was an Austrian Kröneland (province)
        Both German and Czech languages were used.

        Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
        Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen
        (Bohemia).
        Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a
        part of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Austrian-Silesia.

        The Austrian Habsburgs, accustomed to being imperial, assumed the
        title of Emperor of Austria in 1804. Later, the "dual-monarchy" was
        established, with the Habsburgs as Emperors of Austria and Kings of
        Hungary, the combined realm being known as "Austria-Hungary".

        Before WWI, Slovakia was part of Upper-Hungary (Felvidék) and
        part of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy (1867-1918) and earlier the
        Austrian Empire.
        Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

        In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from the
        Austrian Crownlands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and a
        portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine).

        (Until this time there was no country called "Czechoslovakia")