Re: place of residence

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Mary Russo Demetrick <mmdemetr@s...> wrote:
      > Here is what I found on the Ellis Island Records
      > for a Helena Baluch (probably not the relative I
      > am seeking, but with the same name).
      >
      > Any clues?
      >

      > Place of Residence
      >
      > Slovak Prakfaln

      Yes.

      Prakfaln = Prakfalu (H) = Prakovce (Sv)
      Located 288 km ENE of Bratislava and 3 km south of Helcmanovce and
      6 km SSE of Gelnica, Slovakia.
      Now located in okres (district) Spis^ská Nová Ves.

      The LDS has microfilmed the R.C. matriky (1695-1888) for Prakovce and
      they are listed under Gelnica.
      Gelnica, Slovensko; formerly known as Göniczbánya, Szepes Megye,
      Hungary.
      Includes the affiliate town of Prakovce.
      Text in Latin with some Hungarian and Slovak.
      film #
      1739084-1739088

      The Lutheran parish church records (1783-1896) are also listed under
      Gelnica.

      Kubasco looks like a Hungarian spelling of surname.
      Not sure of what it transliterates to in Slovak.
      Perhaps Kubass, Kubas, Kubash, Kubaska, Kubasky, Kubasek ?

      Frank Kurcina