What's all the fuss about DNA testing???

  • frank_r_plichta
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014

      Someone please help me understand all the fuss about DNA testing with regard to ancestry research.

      I have been fortunate to trace me paternal line directly thru 7 generations to a marriage in 1759 and my maternal line thru 6 generations to 1790.  I know who I am.  I’m 99.+% Slovak/Czechoslovakian/Austro-Hungarian/Kingdom of Hungary .  If there is anything else in my DNA then it must have slipped in from some of the marauding bands that spread their seed in the area that became know as Slovakia today.  I don’t have a need to know about “that” guy.

      Now there are folks on this list who seem to suggest that the DNA testing is somehow going to tell them “their” ancestral background.  In my opinion, those tests are so vague that they only tell you that you have “some of this” and “some of that” and a “little bit of this” and a “dash of that.”

      Please help me understand how that is important and how does it help finding information about my ancestors?  Why should I spend the money to tell me what I know is “fact”.

      Frank

      Frank R. Plichta

      Searching the World for any PLICHTA, from any place and at any time in history.

    • Aleksandar MARINKOVI
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014
        Hi!
        I just want to say that Y-DNA testing helped me a lot in searching for my roots. I also made mtDNA test and I found out that both lineages (paternal and maternal) are from Poland.
        If you only use birth and other certificates, you can make a very nice family tree. But with DNA tests (y, mt, family finder / 23andMe) you can find long forgotten or lost blood relatives, or old region of origin. Combination of ''paperwork'' and DNA tests is very good way to found out everything about yourself and your family.
        Regards
        Aleksandar
      • John Flanders
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014
          I've been using my Y dna data to research my fathers heritage for the past five years.  I have used it to trace his origins which could not be confirmed on paper.  It has helped me get past a brick wall in the 1600's and before the use of surnames.  DNA has supplemented my genealogy paper trail and given me new leads to pursue.  Using dna data currently is not an easy process, and has a steep learning curve, that you pretty much have to learn on your own.  I am waiting for my Mothers Slovak MTdna results to see where it leads.

          --
          John Flanders
          Binka - Konicek Family Ilava, Slovakia
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014
            Frank, I too have a family tree researched back to 1732 on my dad's side.  I've also done both 23andme and ancestry.com DNA geneology and found the following:

            - Where my relatives were living 500 years ago - this shows you were your Slovak and other relatives came from originally. Someone in mine came from Asia, surprisingly.
            - That my "Slovak" relatives also included Polish, Hungarian and southern Mediterranean origins
            - I can see a map of where my DNA is today in the world
            - I found 3rd and 4th cousins I didn't know about, and connected with them on line,including Slovak relatives in the US, Canada, Argentina and Australia
            - On my mother's side, who I knew were some of the first English speaking settlers in Canada, I was able to find their origins including English, German and Viking
            - I discovered illegitimate relatives on both sides who had been adopted at birth, and was able to help them find their relatives
            - I was able to discount some suspect branches of my family tree based on non DNA matches
            - I was able to find out some interesting medical information too, including trends of cancer and genetic causes for autoimmune diseases

            Tonya

            On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 4:03 PM, plichta@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014
              To Frank,
              I too am entering the dizzying world of DNA. Although I have a specific reason - to prove relationship between 2 branches, there is another that you should consider. Once a DNA test has been done, it remains (as a file) with you and your research for as long as computers will exist!
              Therefore a Plichta from 100 years from now will have some DNA markers to compare to his generation. You'll create a real genealogical milestone.

              For me, it is very important as I am the last male in my branch born with the family name however changed by deed poll. And I am saving all my money to get the most markers I can possibly be tested for. It's the last thing I can do for my ancestors.

              Peter M.

              On 31 August 2014 07:08, Tonya Harmon tharmon63@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            • Suzanne
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014
                Interesting  comment - It's the last thing I can do for my ancestors.

                When I started on my genealogical journey I was curious about my ancestors (and, envious of my husband who had half of his family tree back 6 generations).

                As I got into it deeper, the added reason to continue the research was so a future ancestor who's non-existent at this point in time would only have to get back to me to open the doors I've been going through.

                My legacy!

                Suzanne

                Sent from my iPad

[...]

              • Plichta
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014

                  I think you mean “descendents”.

                  Our “ancestors” are already dead.  It is the “descendents” who will come in the future who I believe you feel will benefit by your DNA efforts.

                  Frank

                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014
                    I mean both.

                    All ancestors by nature practice continuance with the hope/aim of bettering the lives of their descendants. It was eventually me who researched them, found out about their lives and fleshed them out. I owe them that since I am here because of them.
                    Maybe I'm too much of a romantic, but it feels good, shining a light on them.

                    Peter M.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014
                      Peter - yes, you exactly got my drift.  My ancestors so they aren't forgotten and my descendants who will have an easier time finding their roots.

                      Now if only someone could invent a time machine so I could go back and meet all my ancestors!!

                      Suzanne

                      Sent from my iPad

                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014
                        You can get DNA matches to relatives and for some it takes down brick walls like mine. I found a couple of second cousins from a branch of my mother's family that I didn't know existed until then. Also, I relearned some history. My paper tree says I'm Polish/Lithuanian, English, Irish, Scottish, possibly Welsh and Dutch. My DNA says I'm Eastern European, Irish, Scandinavian and only slightly British Islands, slightly Finish/Russian and slightly Iberian Peninsula. The Vikings got around and the Celts were really from Spain and Portugal apparently.

                        Jen
                      • William C. Wormuth
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 30, 2014
                          Slovak is not a pure race or nationality. If you study Slovak ancient History you will find familiar Nationality such as  Celts, Turks Croats, Germans, etc.  For this reason, I have never understood why our Slovaks here would pay for DNA.

                          On Sunday, August 31, 2014 1:02 AM, "ultraln2001@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS]" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          You can get DNA matches to relatives and for some it takes down brick walls like mine. I found a couple of second cousins from a branch of my mother's family that I didn't know existed until then. Also, I relearned some history. My paper tree says I'm Polish/Lithuanian, English, Irish, Scottish, possibly Welsh and Dutch. My DNA says I'm Eastern European, Irish, Scandinavian and only slightly British Islands, slightly Finish/Russian and slightly Iberian Peninsula. The Vikings got around and the Celts were really from Spain and Portugal apparently.

                          Jen

                        • Catherine Rowland
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 31, 2014
                            I would be interested to hear from the group which is the best  company to go with for DNA testing for both Y-DNA and mitochondrial DNA. Which is the best test available at the moment?. I would like to test my father's DNA.  Are the $99 test6s worth it or should one pay more for a comprehensive test.
                          • Bruce Bauer
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 31, 2014
                              I have used DNA testing to verify that descendant lines were in fact
                              related. Village paper records essentially ended in 1790. There was a
                              legend (?) in the village that the reason for so many people with the
                              same surname was that there were at some time in the past there were 5
                              brothers from which all these people descended. My research (paper)
                              indicated that there were approximately 5 descendant lines in the
                              village but the 5 brothers, if they existed, were from before 1790. I
                              had access to direct males in two of the descendant lines and had their
                              Y DNA tested which indicated they were related a couple of generations
                              back. One other line does not have any males that I could find (or
                              would cooperate) and the other two have not been fully researched. A
                              least the legend was partilly verified.

                              Bruce
                            • Tom Hritz
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 31, 2014
                                In all honesty, the cheapies are just what you get. My son
                                gave me one for Christmas in 2012. It tells little of my or
                                my family's heritage, other than generic you are Eastern
                                European with a Scandanavian-mix. Wow, that is precise.

                                Unless things have improved dramatically in two years,
                                I would not waste my time or money on the cheapies.

                                Tom Hritz (Hricz)

                              • Aleksandar MARINKOVI
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 31, 2014
                                  I recommend FTDNA laboratory. Why? Because you can order various DNA tests and upgrade them easily. Everything is in one place. They have also large database for Y-DNA and mtDNA results.
                                  Y-DNA on 37 markers is ''best buy'' I think...169 USD and provides a lot of informations. But, for a start, you can go for 25 markers with a possibility of upgrade in future time (you just need to pay a difference between 25 and 37).
                                  If your result is ''somewhere in between'' and it's not possible to identify your subclade with STR result (like in my case), you can order additional SNP test (39 USD) and resolve the problem.
                                  Anyway, for genealogy, for finding a genetic paternal relative, simple Y-25 or Y-37 test and their STR result will do.

                                • Charlyne

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 31, 2014
                                      Tonya,
                                          Concerning your, “Someone in mine came from Asia, surprisingly.”
                                          When I began my Slovak genealogy research I had posted on Slovak-Roots that my ancestral village, Hromos, was a between the towns of Plavnica and Plavec. Someone replied that they understood that any place in Slovakia whose spelling began with PLAV was founded by a group of people called the Plavici. After some research I discovered this was another name for a people called the Cumani. The Cumani’s homeland is on the Yellow River below Mongolia. They were part of an alliance of eastern people that came west controlling lands as far as Italy. In the 1200’s Genghis Khan was planning an invasion. The Cumani made an alliance with Hungary to fight together. Genghis Khan died and the invasion didn’t happen. But some 12,000 Cumani were allowed to settle in Hungary.
                                          Many years later I found a document that said that a major trade road into Poland was guarded by the Lord of Plavec Castle. He employed Plavici as his guards. So the PLAV story my have some merit.
                                          Now of interest for you. When I told a cousin about the Plavici/Cumani story she said, “That explains it!” The “it” was her sister had a medical problem that required an extensive blood test. The doctor came in and asked, “You are blonde haired and blue-eyed. Why do you have an Asian blood type?”
                                          So you may have a Plavici in your family tree.
                                      Michael Mojher

[...]

                                    • takukuk

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 1, 2014

                                                Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice on DNA testing.  My father's paternal line has been traced to Oravsky Podzamok and surrounding villages, his maternal  line has been more problematic but is probably  originally German or Czech based on the surnames. Unfortunately accessing records for the Transcarpathian region of Ukraine is difficult. For my family, we will probably use the general Austria-Hungary research group on FTDNA.

                                                 I will have to  sweet-talk my father's male cousin(s) into taking the test if I want to find out about my grandmother's paternal line. The theory I will be testing is if the origins of the family are actually Bulgarian or Croatian as has been suggested to me. Unfortunately the Romanian army destroyed the church records in 1945, so nothing is available prior to the 1895 civil registries at Family Search.

                                              • Daniel Kisha
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 6, 2014

                                                  Lydia

                                                  For your information.