place of residence

  • Mary Russo Demetrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2001
      Here is what I found on the Ellis Island Records
      for a Helena Baluch (probably not the relative I
      am seeking, but with the same name).

      Any clues?

      Place of Residence

      Slovak Prakfaln

      Have been searching for some time for a village of
      origin for this family. Don't find any connections
      with others who are researching Baluch, however.
      Information I have is very sketchy. Been through
      many many towns RC church records at the LDS and
      still searching.

      GGfather name was Jakub Balluch (Baluch, or Ballow
      in the US) b. 3 Jan 1861
      On his death certificate, his mother is listed as
      Elizabet Miko Balluch

      GGmother was Helen Kubasco (Kubassek?) Ballow
      (Balluch, Baluch) b. 25
      Dec. 1984

      --
      Mary Russo Demetrick
      Director of Academic Publications

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Mary Russo Demetrick <mmdemetr@s...> wrote:
        > Here is what I found on the Ellis Island Records
        > for a Helena Baluch (probably not the relative I
        > am seeking, but with the same name).
        >
        > Any clues?
        >

        > Place of Residence
        >
        > Slovak Prakfaln

        Yes.

        Prakfaln = Prakfalu (H) = Prakovce (Sv)
        Located 288 km ENE of Bratislava and 3 km south of Helcmanovce and
        6 km SSE of Gelnica, Slovakia.
        Now located in okres (district) Spis^ská Nová Ves.

        The LDS has microfilmed the R.C. matriky (1695-1888) for Prakovce and
        they are listed under Gelnica.
        Gelnica, Slovensko; formerly known as Göniczbánya, Szepes Megye,
        Hungary.
        Includes the affiliate town of Prakovce.
        Text in Latin with some Hungarian and Slovak.
        film #
        1739084-1739088

        The Lutheran parish church records (1783-1896) are also listed under
        Gelnica.

        Kubasco looks like a Hungarian spelling of surname.
        Not sure of what it transliterates to in Slovak.
        Perhaps Kubass, Kubas, Kubash, Kubaska, Kubasky, Kubasek ?

        Frank Kurcina