Re: Nejaunau was not located in Romania

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2001
      Now don't think that Nejaunau was located in Romania.

      Looked at the image of the ship manifest which is difficult to
      read because it often vanishes from screen or is not available online
      at the Ellis Island Web site.

      No.
      13 Julia Poszipanka, b. 1883 going to Toronto, OH to parents
      14 Maria Poszipanka, b. 1888 " " "
      15 Julia Padoliscky, b. 1880 going to Youngstown, OH to brother

      So the 2 girl's parents had emigrated to Ohio previous to 1899
      and not through Ellis Island.

      This Toronto is located at Ohio border with W VA, in panhandle at
      Weirton, W VA.
      Used to be a large steel mill at Weirton ; even visited it perhaps 40
      years ago.

      13 Julia Poszipanka residence Nejaunau
      14 Maria Poszipanka residence Nejaunau
      15 Julia Padoliscky residence Nalfala

      from what I could read of handwriting these were actually written

      ? janhaza
      ? janhaza
      ? alfalu

      In Hungarian -haza (house) and -falu (village) are common place name
      suffixes.
      For example, Tonkháza (Tonk's house) or Szepesófalu (beautiful
      village)

      So expect the above were both place names located in what was
      Hungarian territory before 1900.
      This eliminates post-WW I boundary and territorial changes.
      Emigrants in ship manifest pages usually were from same general area
      and listed as such because they had bought pasasge tickets before
      traveling to port of exit in Europe.

      Find ? alfalu and ? janhaza should be located close by.
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2001
        At 06:38 PM 6/7/01 +0000, you wrote:
        >No.
        >13 Julia Poszipanka, b. 1883 going to Toronto, OH to parents
        >14 Maria Poszipanka, b. 1888 " " "
        >15 Julia Padoliscky, b. 1880 going to Youngstown, OH to brother
        >
        >So the 2 girl's parents had emigrated to Ohio previous to 1899
        >and not through Ellis Island.
        >
        >This Toronto is located at Ohio border with W VA, in panhandle at
        >Weirton, W VA.
        >Used to be a large steel mill at Weirton ; even visited it perhaps 40
        >years ago.

        Several of my relatives emigrated to Toronto, Stratton, Empire, OH and
        Weirton, WV in the last few years of the 19th and the early 20th
        century.. They were from the Bardejov, SK area.

        John
      • Richard D. Custer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2001
          Try Nacina Ves, okres Michalovce (formerly Zemplinska zupa), old Magyar name
          was Natafalva. Poszipanka families originate from villages in that region
          anyway.