Mines In PA , where many European men lost their lives.

  • Vera Holman
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2014

      Trust this is helpful for those looking for their families that came to America for a better life.
      Vera B. Holman veracious.h@...
    • Timothy Kotsay
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2014
        My great grandfather found work in the coal mines of Eastern PA., Tomhicken ,Luzerne County.   It was a harsh life living in crowded conditions, cooking outdoors, with meager wages to support Istvan and Catherine Kocai and thier family.   Three of their children died from pneumonia.   I have exhausted my research attempting to find where the children are buried.  I welcome anyone who may have a clue/suggestion to help me find them.

        Timothy Kotsay

        On Aug 23, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Vera Holman veracious.h@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS] <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Trust this is helpful for those looking for their families that came to America for a better life.
        Vera B. Holman veracious.h@...

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 23, 2014
          Timothy,
              Tomhicken is an unincorporated town. As such it doesn’t have the usual offices you would expect to help with your search. Two things that would help in your search is knowing if Tomhicken had any churches or cemeteries. For those to be useful you would have to know what denomination of religion your ancestor practiced.
              http://roadsidethoughts.com/pa/tomhicken-xx-luzerne-genealogy.htm This website seems to indicate that Tomhicken had no cemetery. Which also would be indicative that it also had no church. This means to need to find the nearest town that had a church of your relatives denomination.
              Can I presume that you tried to get death certificates for the three children?
              What years were the children’s deaths? Have you searched the Census for year before their death?
              I see you have some things posted at Ancestry.com. Have any of their records been useful?

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2014
            In Virginia, which is a Commonwealth, not a state, vital records in unincorporated areas are recorded on the county level. Pennsylvania, like Virginia, is a Commonwealth. Have you tried searching the County records?

            Sent from my iPad
          • bassfantastic
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 24, 2014
              In Pennsylvania, official death records were not kept until 1905. Those are state level and are available 1905 thru 1944 on Ancestry.  They will be available thru 1963 by the end of the year.  If you know what year they died, then try to find the death certificate.  It usually lists the burial location.
              If they died before that, you may be able to find records at the local court house for Luzerne County.  I live in Westmoreland County and they have from 1889 thru 1905 records at my court house.

              Lastly, as said before, the church records would be a place to check.  I have received lots of records from the church where my husband's coal mining family went, but this church didn't have a cemetery so they couldn't say where they were buried.

              Lastly, check findagrave.com for Luzerne co.  If you don't find them, it will at least give you a listing of cemeteries in that area.
            • Joanne
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 24, 2014
                My grandfather was also a coal miner in PA. He went "where there was work" from a story my eldest uncle told me.  If you look at the census records you would always think they were in that one town in Cambria County.  They weren't.   They had one daughter who died and is buried in an unmarked grave near the mine he worked in 1914.  My grandfather was Roman Catholic and his sister was Greek Catholic.....another of my grandfather's children who passed away is buried on his sister's family plot in the Greek cemetery...also unmarked....in yet another coal mining town.  Found 2 of the children thu the PA death certificates which are free to PA residents or thru ancestry.  The third child who died has no death certificate that I can find, no record in local churches but from stories, again from my oldest uncle, she was also buried in his aunt's family plot in the Greek cemetery.

                Another item to think about...I have a photo postcard that my oldest uncle sent to his uncle in 1916 that has on the back that there was a mining accident but that his dad was ok.  The sister on the postcard according to my uncle was his sister who died.  When I finally found Margaret's death certificate..she actually died in 1914.  I had always assumed she died after the postcard was mailed.

                Joanne

              • Suzanne
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 24, 2014
                  My grandfather also was a coal miner in Pennsylvania.  Originally from Rudabanyacska, Hungary he settled in South Fork which is in Cambria County - this I found out from an article in a local paper in Gary, Indiana about my grandparents' 50th anniversary.  I did find that Cambria County had a lot of records online and was able to get a copy of my grandparents marriage from the county clerk.  I did some searching online for mining records Nd also found reference to the coal mining accident.

                  S.

                  Sent from my iPad