Re: Nejaunau

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6 7:18 PM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Jo Mulvey" <jm1734@h...> wrote:

      > In the Ellis Island archives my Grandmother and great aunnt give
      their place of residence as Nejaunau - Searches in Shtetlseeker and
      mapquest have turned up nothing like. ANy guesses on what this towwn
      could really be are welcome- Family stories say Grandmother was
      romanian but lived in Budapest. Her name was Poszipanka if that
      helps.

      > Any advice is greatly appreciated.
      >
      > JO

      The Ellis Island Passenger Records are full of misspelled place names
      especially in German ship manifests.
      Poszipanka would be a Hungarian surname spelling.
      In Hungarian the letter sz is pron. s.

      Romania is a good possibility although Nejauhau doesn't look Romanian.
      -auhau 'sounds like' something said in German ?

      Transylvania which used to be part of Hungary later became part of
      Romania.
      After WW I, Romania annexed part of former Austro-Hungarian Empire
      territory , as an Allied reward for switching sides during the war.

      Romanian isn't a Slavic language , but a Romance language like French
      and Italian.

      How are you ?
      Ce mai facet,i ? Romanian
      Comment allez-vous ? French
      Come sta ? Italian

      My best guess would be Nejovelu which is located 50 miles WNW of
      Bucharest, Romania.

      Even if so, because of its civil (crime) and economic problems before
      and after the fall of the former Communist leader don't even bother
      to look for possible surname records.
      In 1989 Romanians revolted against the repressive dictatorship of
      Nicolae Ceausescu, the country's president and Communist Party
      leader.
      Ceausescu was executed.

      Frank Kurcina