Using Family Search for Slovak Research

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 19, 2014

      I began a new thread here after reading some of the comments regarding finding information online at Family Search.

      One of the obstacles of using the Family Search site that was noted is that the surname may not be picked up due to transcription differences.

      If you are lucky enough to find a film that is online with records pertaining to your surname,  you can limit your searches to just that particular film using the search engine.

      I was able to recently find information by limiting the search to that film, and putting in just the first name for the male, and the first name for the spouse.  Records came up with an entirely different spelling for the surname, but the first names were unusual enough that when I looked at the record, it was, indeed, the family that I was seeking.

      When you find a hit, click on the text page next to the info that comes up under results. At the bottom of the page is a digital folder.  When you click on that folder, your searches will be limited to just that folder.

      When the folder info pops up, enter just the first name under Refine your Search.  Then, go to Search by relationship and put the first name in the Spouse entry.

      You can play around with this using whatever parameters you might want to use.

      I do realize that this can be quite tedious when the Given names are very common.  But, when you limit the search by the film number, you can peruse the pages and look at surnames that seem like they may fit your particular search.  It is less time consuming that going through page by page, which always seems to slow down as you look through the pages unless you remember to empty your computer cache.

      Good luck!

      Barbara

    • Jill's Slovakian Genealogy
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2014
        I have better success entering family member first names without last names or using wild cards (?*) than I have with a first and last name, etc.

        Nacas has been found as Nots, Notz, Natz, Nacos, Nacz, Rots, Nocks, Nacis, Nocz, and my most recent find was found by searching through the old index record books at Will County Clerk: Nutts !  It had the correct year, so I had them pull the record- parents, address all matched.  When I had originally submitted the request by mail, I never asked them to check for Nutts.

        Initially I blamed clerks and prejudice against poor immigrants.  But I have since decided that my immigrant great grandfather was illiterate not only in English but in his native tongue as well.  The only method the clerk had to enter a name on a form was to listen carefully to the pronunciation and try to spell it the way it sounded best he could!

        Best Regards,
        Jill A Baty

[...]

      • Elaine Summerhill
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 25, 2014
          Thank you for this idea! You would think after all this time something as simple as searching on a first name would be commonly used. Well...  my blonde roots are showing.  I'm going to try this for my paternal grandparents who were married in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

          Elaine Summerhill

          I have better success entering family member first names without last names or using wild cards (?*) than I have with a first and last name, etc.

        • Sandra & John Panzitta
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 25, 2014
            Elaine,

            Who are your paternal grandparents who married in Wilkes-Barre?

            Sandra Panzitta

          • stibila@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 25, 2014

              Searching for our Ancestors and hoping to find them is not that easy unless you know exactly where to look and the variations of their names. Finding relatives with similar last names, such as a brother or Uncle can provide some clues.

              Family Search site can be hard to use, but at least it is free.

              When you do find close relatives, it is a great feeling of accomplishment. I can't afford to use a site that charges for a membership. Where I live, I can go to my public library and use Ancestry.com for free.

            • Jill's Slovakian Genealogy
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 25, 2014
                Doesn't always work but if you have first names and something else like the town or a date...

                Another thing I do now is check to see if the database I'm using has the records for the location and dates I'm looking for.  It sounds obvious but I remember searching for hours for birth certificates in Rockdale IL for certain names and dates and finally I put in the name John for a 10 year time period and there weren't any Johns.  Then it occurred to me that there weren't any births in the database from that particular time period at all!  Learning...  I am also blonde (sometimes)!

                Best Regards,
                Jill A Baty

                On Aug 25, 2014, at 9:00 AM, "Elaine Summerhill jato791@... [SLOVAK-ROOTS]" <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                Thank you for this idea! You would think after all this time something as simple as searching on a first name would be commonly used. Well...  my blonde roots are showing.  I'm going to try this for my paternal grandparents who were married in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

                Elaine Summerhill

                I have better success entering family member first names without last names or using wild cards (?*) than I have with a first and last name, etc.

              • MGMojher
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 26, 2014
                  One of the advantages of using the Ellis Island website is it will generate a list of alternative spellings to surnames. It was because of this I discovered my great-grandparents arrival. The surname is Mojher but it had been spelled Majher.

                  Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 2:47 PM
                  Subject: Re: [S-R] Using Family Search for Slovak Research