Re: Parents of John Misura from Orava

  • frankur@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "W. Scott Park" <scott.park@s...> wrote:
      > I would like to know how to find out who the parents of John Misura
      were. The only information that was given to me was from his
      daughter. She says that he was born in Orava on December 13, 1882.
      Their religion was Lutheran. She claims that he came to the United
      States in 1903.
      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
      part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
      part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
      Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.

      Looked in the Slovakia telephone directory under a number
      of towns located in Orava and formerly in A'rva Megye, Upper-Hungary.

      3 surname Mis^ura are listed under Dolny' Kubín (Sv) Alsókubin (H)
      2 surname Mis^ura are listed under Z^ilina (Sv) Zsolna (H)
      1 surname Mis^ura is listed under Martin (Sv) Turócszentmárton (H)

      And this surname is written with Slovak diacritical letter s^ pron.
      sh.

      Suggest you go back and look in western Slovakia for John Misura.

      If you locate his village/town of origin you can write the regional
      Slovak Archives for family records or review the LDS-Mormon microfilms
      for the place name parish church records.

      Hungarian English
      rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)