Nejaunau

  • Jo Mulvey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2001
      In the Ellis Island archives my Grandmother and great aunnt give their place of residence as Nejaunau - Searches in Shtetlseeker and mapquest have turned up nothing like. ANy guesses on what this towwn could really be are welcome- Family stories say Grandmother was romanian but lived in Budapest. Her name was Poszipanka if that helps.

      Any advice is greatly appreciated.

      JO

    • frankur@att.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Jo Mulvey" <jm1734@h...> wrote:

        > In the Ellis Island archives my Grandmother and great aunnt give
        their place of residence as Nejaunau - Searches in Shtetlseeker and
        mapquest have turned up nothing like. ANy guesses on what this towwn
        could really be are welcome- Family stories say Grandmother was
        romanian but lived in Budapest. Her name was Poszipanka if that
        helps.

        > Any advice is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > JO

        The Ellis Island Passenger Records are full of misspelled place names
        especially in German ship manifests.
        Poszipanka would be a Hungarian surname spelling.
        In Hungarian the letter sz is pron. s.

        Romania is a good possibility although Nejauhau doesn't look Romanian.
        -auhau 'sounds like' something said in German ?

        Transylvania which used to be part of Hungary later became part of
        Romania.
        After WW I, Romania annexed part of former Austro-Hungarian Empire
        territory , as an Allied reward for switching sides during the war.

        Romanian isn't a Slavic language , but a Romance language like French
        and Italian.

        How are you ?
        Ce mai facet,i ? Romanian
        Comment allez-vous ? French
        Come sta ? Italian

        My best guess would be Nejovelu which is located 50 miles WNW of
        Bucharest, Romania.

        Even if so, because of its civil (crime) and economic problems before
        and after the fall of the former Communist leader don't even bother
        to look for possible surname records.
        In 1989 Romanians revolted against the repressive dictatorship of
        Nicolae Ceausescu, the country's president and Communist Party
        leader.
        Ceausescu was executed.

        Frank Kurcina